The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-09-2015, 10:18 AM

I believe I am the one that Petty1818 is referring to on the Post on the the gearpage. I have had a little more time to play with it and like it even more. I have a Taylor 314ce and really didn't like the thin "magnetic" sound of the Expression System (ES). I tried the Play Acoustic, but similar to "themissal" did not like the complexity of it, but the Play Acoustic had several BodyRez settings with each one giving a different level of gain at either the low or high end. To my ear(memory), it seems like TC Electronics picked BodyRez 3 from the Play Acoustic because it was one of the most popular and that flavor added some low gain.

Now that I have time to play with it some, I paired with my Venue DI, turned the Bass down on the DI just a little. There was still a small boominess from the A string on the 2nd Fret (like during a G chord). I looped that through my Ditto Pedal and used the Venue DI notch knob and found a spot just about touching the line to the left of 140, it took it out almost completely. This is all with the BodyRez knob at 3:00. I also changed the phase.

I know this sounds complicated, but this was just fine tuning it. The BodyRez 1 minute out of the box was a huge difference. I am glad I played with the settings, but would have been more than satisfied with the difference it made for $100 within the first minute of use. Suggestions for TC Electronics would be to give a firmware update that allows a setup to change the high and low gain like the Acoustic Play does, but now I'm just getting greedy.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:02 AM

Interesting. I might try this with my Fishman Platinum Analog EQ, just for fun. I assume the BodyRez comes first, before the DI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticToneSkr View Post
I believe I am the one that Petty1818 is referring to on the Post on the the gearpage. I have had a little more time to play with it and like it even more. I have a Taylor 314ce and really didn't like the thin "magnetic" sound of the Expression System (ES). I tried the Play Acoustic, but similar to "themissal" did not like the complexity of it, but the Play Acoustic had several BodyRez settings with each one giving a different level of gain at either the low or high end. To my ear(memory), it seems like TC Electronics picked BodyRez 3 from the Play Acoustic because it was one of the most popular and that flavor added some low gain.

Now that I have time to play with it some, I paired with my Venue DI, turned the Bass down on the DI just a little. There was still a small boominess from the A string on the 2nd Fret (like during a G chord). I looped that through my Ditto Pedal and used the Venue DI notch knob and found a spot just about touching the line to the left of 140, it took it out almost completely. This is all with the BodyRez knob at 3:00. I also changed the phase.

I know this sounds complicated, but this was just fine tuning it. The BodyRez 1 minute out of the box was a huge difference. I am glad I played with the settings, but would have been more than satisfied with the difference it made for $100 within the first minute of use. Suggestions for TC Electronics would be to give a firmware update that allows a setup to change the high and low gain like the Acoustic Play does, but now I'm just getting greedy.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 09-09-2015, 11:55 AM

Tore at TC Electronics says to put it first before the DI and that's the way I have it. Haven't tried it through the Effects loop, but don't see why that wouldn't work either.

I would be interested to see what you find using the Fishman Platinum EQ since the BodyRez does use some compression in it's algorithm and you have that ability with the Fishman where as my Venue does not.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:58 AM

I tried it and it sounded really nice. No problems with boominess, because of the 'low cut' control on the Fishman. The combo was a like a beefier Aura Spectrum. Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticToneSkr View Post
Tore at TC Electronics says to put it first before the DI and that's the way I have it. Haven't tried it through the Effects loop, but don't see why that wouldn't work either.

I would be interested to see what you find using the Fishman Platinum EQ since the BodyRez does use some compression in it's algorithm and you have that ability with the Fishman where as my Venue does not.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
I tried it and it sounded really nice. No problems with boominess, because of the 'low cut' control on the Fishman. The combo was a like a beefier Aura Spectrum. Hmm...
How are you liking the new Platinum Pro Eq? I assume that's the one that you own? Any downsides?

Your clips were very helpful but I think the camera is picking up the unplugged tone of the Fishman as well. Am I correct in assuming that? Either way, I definitely hear a sweet spot with the BodyRez. The more you turn it up, the more it seems to brighten the tone. I find that too much past 12 o'clock and it's a bit too bright. I almost bought one today but I have the lyric in my Taylor right now so it would have been a bit of a waste of money. I wouldn't mind trying it with my mandolin though.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:45 PM

Yeah, it's the new analog Platinum Pro. I like it. I've gigged with it a number of times and it really warms up my tone. Plus, lots of nice EQ control and a great tuner. I think I might try adding the BodyRez to it, because what I heard in my living room today with that combo was quite nice (that's not on the soundcloud clips from earlier).

As you say, it seems there is a sweet spot for the BodyRez. Just have to find it given your gear and space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
How are you liking the new Platinum Pro Eq? I assume that's the one that you own? Any downsides?

Your clips were very helpful but I think the camera is picking up the unplugged tone of the Fishman as well. Am I correct in assuming that? Either way, I definitely hear a sweet spot with the BodyRez. The more you turn it up, the more it seems to brighten the tone. I find that too much past 12 o'clock and it's a bit too bright. I almost bought one today but I have the lyric in my Taylor right now so it would have been a bit of a waste of money. I wouldn't mind trying it with my mandolin though.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's the new analog Platinum Pro. I like it. I've gigged with it a number of times and it really warms up my tone. Plus, lots of nice EQ control and a great tuner. I think I might try adding the BodyRez to it, because what I heard in my living room today with that combo was quite nice (that's not on the soundcloud clips from earlier).

As you say, it seems there is a sweet spot for the BodyRez. Just have to find it given your gear and space.
Excellent! The tuner was one of my only worries. I heard that the screen was a bit hard to see. I kind of wish one of my guitars still had the Matrix in it so that I could try my Spectrum DI with the Body Rez.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:12 PM

No, the tuner's excellent, in my opinion. I've used other DIs with tuners and this one is the clearest and fastest I've used. At least that's been my experience. It's MUCH better than the one in the Aura Spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Excellent! The tuner was one of my only worries. I heard that the screen was a bit hard to see. I kind of wish one of my guitars still had the Matrix in it so that I could try my Spectrum DI with the Body Rez.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:22 PM

I decided to experiment with the Bodyrez patches in my Voicelive 3 because of this thread and after some EQ tweaking it sounds really good. I tried the bodyrez patches about a month ago but wasn't impressed right out of the box and it wasn't until I tweaked their stock eq settings to my taste that it came together. I believe it's the same patches used in the pedal

I'm more impressed than I thought I would be
Old 09-10-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Okay, so I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I recorded a basic chord progression today to give a sense of what the BodyRez is doing. Here's the soundcloud link (it's a private link, which doesn't seem to work as an embedded link):

https://soundcloud.com/philip-marino/bodyrez/s-o4wwY

Guitar: Blueridge BR-70A
Pickup: Fishman Matrix Infinity
Amp: Fishman Loudbox Mini

Recorded by a Zoom H2n a few feet from the amp.

Clip 1) No BodyRez
Clip 2) BodyRez at 11 o'clock
Clip 3) BodyRez at 3 o'clock

Probably best to listen with headphones.
Thank you very much for posting these demo's. Clip # 3 sounded great to my ears on my system. A definite improvement over Clip # 1.

I have a D-35, a Lyric pickup, a Venue and Session DI, that I'd like to try with the Body-Rez.....I'll bet it'll sound great with all that eq'ing and compression...
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 09-10-2015, 04:35 PM

My pleasure. Glad it helped. I've decided to go from the BodyRez to the Fishman Platinum Pro DI, as that sounds even better. I imagine your plan will be quite nice. Report back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Thank you very much for posting these demo's. Clip # 3 sounded great to my ears on my system. A definite improvement over Clip # 1.

I have a D-35, a Lyric pickup, a Venue and Session DI, that I'd like to try with the Body-Rez.....I'll bet it'll sound great with all that eq'ing and compression...
Old 09-10-2015, 06:11 PM

Default TC BodyRez- Anyone?

Just thought I'd throw in my experience.
I wanted something small easy without too much in my signal chain.
I ended up buying the Acoustic play to use with my Pono L-30 which is a very small parlor (size 2). I installed a lyric in it and I think because of its size and responsiveness of the guitar it really picks up the mids.

After the lyric install, I was wondering if I made the right choice. Plugging direct to my desk with 3 channel EQ one shelf and lo/hi pass I thought I could dial something in. I couldn't so I knew I needed something and the hunt began for a DI solution.

I finally pulled the pin and bought a acoustic play after researching it's EQ capability. Body Rez plus It's got 2 parametric EQ, low shelf, high shelf, notch EQ, compression and a host of other tweakable bits.

The body Rez itself did not work for me. But after fooling with the the advance settings I was able to tame 4 areas that I did not like. Now I think it sounds very natural and I can set it with my powered speaker (Yamaha DBR-10) direct or into my desk and keep the EQ on that flat. With the lyric set this way it does lack some bottom end but it's a good representation of my actual guitar and I can boost the bass a bit more with the desk if I want.

I must say that when I sang in the acoustic play I did not like it at first. But then I dialed it in and I like it. I set reverb to simulate a room and dial the effect way down. I also take off pitch correction and all the fluff. So it's basically a bit of reverb/echo.
I find all the other stuff sounds fake to my ear. I have set the hit button for two presets, one is a faint woman's harmony set at -25db the other is a loose double also at -25db. It is so faint that you have to really listen and you can then just hear it. During a chorus it fattens things up a bit without sounding like you have done anything. In other words it does not sound fake.

If it wasn't for the guitar features I would have sent it back as I just don't want the fluff on the vocals. But I get some vocal mild effects, guitar DI and a tuner all in a small foot print that in a pinch I can plug direct into my powered speaker. Although I still prefer to run it to my little desk.

I can also just hook it to my mic and guitar plug in headphones and practice without turning on the desk or speaker.

So the body Rez for my guitar out of the box wasn't satisfactory but with the acoustic play EQ worked to where I'm very happy.

To those who said the acoustic play is complicated. Well it is a bit and took a while to figure out all the settings, menus etc. but now that I know how the thing works I can hunt around and find things without referring to the manual. I can tweak most adjustments with 5 seconds or so. Not as easy or quick as the dial on an analogue EQ.

So my chain is; lyric-acoustic play-desk-powered speaker.
Or lyric-acoustic play-powered speaker.

Pretty simple and includes a basic looper and tuner. (Although I think if I did looping I'd have a dedicated looping peddle with loop assist as there's no loop assist with the one included.)
Anyway I hope this helps someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2015, 07:29 PM

I also have a D-18 with an old Martin Thin Line pickup and a Gold Line pickup in my Taylor 12 string...last time I checked, both could use some help that the Body-Rez might offer.

Another deciding factor is that I have a $25 gift card for Amazon which is burning a hole in my pocket, that I could apply to the Body-Rez and get it for $75 bucks...sounds like a plan to me.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 09-11-2015, 07:11 AM

I just wanted to wrap up my experience/tests with the BodyRez. I did a bunch of A/B testing these last couple of days. In the mix was the BodyRez on its own, the BodyRez paired with the new Fishman Platinum EQ, and the Fishman Aura Spectrum. In the end, I still actually prefer the tone I get from the Aura Spectrum. It's warm, full, and it does the best of job of losing that pickup sound that we're all trying to eliminate. The BodyRez is nice, but I just prefer the Aura.

Your mileage, as they say, may vary.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:58 AM

Heres mine. Recorded to logic pro through an Apogee Duet 2 using my Taylor 114e with an LR Baggs M1A pickup. First setting,clean no pedal, 2nd bodyrez 3/4 turned up, 3rd bodyrez all the way up.

https://soundcloud.com/vientos00/bod...w-lr-bagga-m1a

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification