The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Corvallis luthier recommendation?

Probably a long shot, but does anyone know a competent repair shop in Corvallis, Oregon that could do a quality job installing a bone nut? Like with no finish damage?
Old 03-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

I visit Corvallis pretty regularly and have visited the shops there, but haven't had any work done to my guitars. We did have a pickup put in my dad's guitar at the Fingerboard Extension, and I was happy with their work. It's a nice shop too, with H&D and Larrivee etc.

http://www.fingerboardextension.com/

There's also Troubadour Music, which is a little shop a few blocks down from the Fingerboard Extension. The folks there are *really* friendly, and it has an old-time feel to it (I was greeted by a couple apron-clad luthiers who came out the the back room to chat when I popped in to window shop). I think they specialize more in repairs than they do in new retail sales; I'd definitely check them out.

http://www.troubadourmusiccenter.com/

Good luck,

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
Probably a long shot, but does anyone know a competent repair shop in Corvallis, Oregon that could do a quality job installing a bone nut? Like with no finish damage?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 AM

Not in Corvallis, but I understand from friends that the repair guy at McKenzie River Music in Eugene is very good. You might give them a call.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Humanist

In Eugene we have Dennis Berck, an independent guitar-tech.

Dennis does everything, large and small...from regular set-up work to restoring pre-war/vintage instruments.

...and he is the best that I have worked with, in many long years of requiring top-notch work.

Email me for Dennis' contact info...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

It's a 5 or 6 hr round trip to Eugene for me. I'm trying to keep it under 3 hrs, so Salem, Corvallis or Albany areas would be best. Ideally Corvallis because I've got to go there next month anyway. I appreciate the suggestions though. I had found those 2 Corvallis places on the internet, but didn't know anything about them. Thanks!
BTW, I wouldn't mind sending it somewhere close by for top-notch work, so I might check out the Eugene suggestions.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfden1 View Post
Not in Corvallis, but I understand from friends that the repair guy at McKenzie River Music in Eugene is very good. You might give them a call.
$$$$$$

Dennis, 1/4 - 1/3 the price and highly recomended. (Mr. Pattis would certianly know better than I)

In Corvallis, I had a nice visit with Curt (??) at Bullfrog Music, in downtown. If he doesnt do that kind of work, I'd trust his recomendation.

ds

Larrivée, L-03 Austrailian Blackwood
Larrivée OM-03 MT 12 fret Forum #14/17
Seagull Artist Folk
Gretch Americana parlor
Pono tenor ukulele (all solid Sapele)

The real Day Sailer
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r.../img_71421.jpg

Control the wind, We can not.
Adjust our sails, We should.

Last edited by daysailer; 03-20-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Well price isn't a huge issue. I'd rather pay someone $80 and have it look stupendous, than save $50 or $60 and have it look and operate so-so. I sent my Les Paul to a shop once (name withheld), and the nut looked great, but they damaged a narrow area of the finish on the headstock. Maybe that's inevitable, but if that's the case I'll leave it alone.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysailer View Post
$$$$$$

Dennis, 1/4 - 1/3 the price and highly recomended. (Mr. Pattis would certianly know better than I)

ds
Wow, that much difference? That's amazing. I'd certainly recommend Dennis Berck to anybody, he resurrected my '49 SJ from the dead and I think he's one of the best anywhere. The last time I was in his shop though (last year) he had quite a bit of vintage work going on and a 2-3 month waiting list. Maybe he fits the small stuff in between the major projects? In any case, you couldn't do better.

D.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
I wouldn't mind sending it somewhere close by for top-notch work, so I might check out the Eugene suggestions.
Charlie, the luthier at McKenzie River Music on 11th, did a great job with a bone saddle/nut installation and set up on my Taylor 410. Ain't cheap, but I'd recommend him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion