The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 PM

Default Living in a Van

Perhaps my destiny is not a motivational speaker but Im thinking of living in a van. Traveling has always been something that drives me. Meeting people, places, new stuff. I also want time to play guitar, heading south.

It just seems the world has gotten so freaking nut job crazy the most sense is to live in the wild. Im less afraid of bears then humans. I was thinking of camping and looking for work and a place to live. Maybe live out of the van for a few months see how it is. This way its just the important stuff, music, nature, people. Im a little afraid of the living in a van and homeless stigma.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:47 PM
Anticipation Junkie

In a way, what you’re thinking of doing is a very “romantic”, ‘60s-‘70s way or living. Don’t know your age, but early 20s seems to be the age where one can endulge in that lifestyle. I did that back in the day...the spring, summer, fall of ‘79 to vent my youth before getting into my career. Whether or not it is practical or reasonable these days, who knows. If that’s what you want to do and can deal with the lifestyle, then go for it.

My brother in law is approaching 60 and still dreams of this exact lifestyle. He has an old van and wants to convert it to a camper. He’s making small progresses. He sends me videos of the innovative things folks do with vans to live the lifestyle. I’m not sure what my sister thinks about it. She sure wouldn’t do it.

I wish you well!
Old 12-14-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
Perhaps my destiny is not a motivational speaker but Im thinking of living in a van. Traveling has always been something that drives me. Meeting people, places, new stuff. I also want time to play guitar, heading south.

It just seems the world has gotten so freaking nut job crazy the most sense is to live in the wild. Im less afraid of bears then humans. I was thinking of camping and looking for work and a place to live. Maybe live out of the van for a few months see how it is. This way its just the important stuff, music, nature, people. Im a little afraid of the living in a van and homeless stigma.
People will always have an opinion. Don't let it stop you from trying something you're interested in.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:03 AM

Oh my, I have thought of that for quite a while. I think its funny that in earlier years we would do it in a heartbeat without having all the access we have now on the "information highway", and now we hold back? Interesting. If you do I would love to hear of your travels.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:36 AM

Living a mobile lifestyle can be fantastic. Of course there are associated complications and difficulties, but if a mobile lifestyle appeals to you, whether it be in a van, a small trailer, a 5th wheel, a small or large motorhome.... you will be “living the life” and it can be a wonderful experience.

I’m retired now and frequently enjoy the RV lifestyle. I’m very blessed to be able to RV in style, but believe that whatever form of mobile living one has (even just a van!), one still experiences much the same sense of mobile adventure and freedom from being nailed down.

Don’t give even a thought to what others may think of your new lifestyle... it is yours to enjoy, experience, and savor and no one else’s opinion means a thing! You will meet people who can relate to your quest and share your enthusiasm for separating from conventional living and going “mobile”.

I say if you want to do it - go for it!

Yes, the world has gotten freakin’ nut job crazy. And whatever form of escape from it that works for you is smart.

Added to say, I wouldn’t travel without firearms.

Last edited by DHart; 12-15-2017 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 12-15-2017, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

There are utube van people that show how to live in a small place. There are risks pluses and minuses. I lived in my van-solo-one 2 month run at 20 years old. it was fun then because at that age you could crash on couches and grab some food from your sisters house visit, etc... though I do remember being so lonely one day in some beautiful city where I knew no one.

With the net you could meet other travelers and perhaps caravan for a weekend? I do recommend it for a sense of independence especially if you have some income or savings to use. There are thousands of folks in CA that live in their cars. 2 bedroom apts are 2K a month. I once had plans to get a 6 month traveling visa and buy a kombie and live around that great country. Sell it before your return trip. They had that formula in a 70's magazine article that I read.

I would be aware of homeless camps there is huge crime there. You can make it adventurous and positive or the road can cost more than a room and a job lifestyle either emotionally and/or practically.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusca View Post
People will always have an opinion. Don't let it stop you from trying something you're interested in.
This...and read "Travels With Charlie" by John Steinbeck while putting the plan together...
Old 12-15-2017, 03:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post

I expect you'll find that seeking decent paying work while living in a van, even more difficult than trying to be a motivational speaker? How do you plan to support yourself while living out on the road in your van?

Don
Old 12-15-2017, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Sanitary arrangements are where I think the biggest challenges lie in your plan.

They are not insurmountable , and no matter the vehicle you choose , you will likely always wish for a more traditional “comfort station” .

Employers may consider your mobile address as an undesireable trait that could suggest short term relationships.

Best of luck! Send pictures!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 12-15-2017, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

Cool idea. Go for it. Check this out....http://vandwellers.org/reviews/vanabode.htm
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 12-15-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:41 AM

I like the idea a lot and it's one I've been considering. The only aspect of this I have trouble with is revenue, as in how to pay for gas, insurance, vehicle maintenance, food, etc.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:46 AM

Sounds like you're thinking this through. Don't test your fear theory on real bears it likely won't work out the way you imagine. Let us know how make out.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 12-15-2017, 06:50 AM

Don't do it. You can't keep nearly as many guitars in a van as you can in a McMansion.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:01 AM

Get a nice van and post up pics!
Old 12-15-2017, 07:10 AM

The New Yorker had an interesting article about van living bak in April. Seems like you might be joining a movement. I say go for it.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...media-movement

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster