The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-23-2015, 10:14 PM

I was in Amsterdam once jonesing hard for a guitar and popped into a store that had a large selection of very affordable classical guitars. I found one that was quite nice for $400. Yes it was a student guitar but it worked perfectly well. Don't let a high price guitar fool you into thinking you need one. You can be comfortably satisfied with sub $1000 guitars for the rest of your life.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:59 PM

It's fun and instructive to look. Go to different stores. Try out as many guitars as you can. Just enjoy that process.

Then you can decide from an informed base. Do you find a given guitar easier to play? Does it sound better?

The only classical I've ever owned is an Esteve 1GR8. I've been playing it for 15 years, so my annual cost is about $100 (and going down each year). I once had the privilege to play a friend's Mathias Dammann - probably a $30K guitar. It was a joy to play and sounded awesome. But no way would I spend that on a guitar. But there's a whole world of wonderful guitars in the $2K and under range.

Enjoy the search. You may find a wonderful guitar for you that won't break the bank.

BTW, good advice about student guitars. If you are near a conservatory (like Peabody in Baltimore), that would make a great place to get a student's resale as they are trading up. A used guitar is so much better a value than a new one.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:36 AM

Make a list of your "must have" features and start shopping. You may be amazed at what's out there in the used market.

My short list was, a solid ceder top, good intonation up and down the neck and reasonable projection across the strings. I bought a used Washburn C80S with all these features (plus a few dings in the top) for $100.

A justifiable cost to me.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
Make a list of your "must have" features and start shopping. You may be amazed at what's out there in the used market.

My short list was, a solid ceder top, good intonation up and down the neck and reasonable projection across the strings. I bought a used Washburn C80S with all these features (plus a few dings in the top) for $100.

A justifiable cost to me.
I suppose I have no reason to want anything different than a "typical" sized classical guitar (2.04 inches at the nut, 25.59 inch scale length, no thinner than "typical sized", except that I want a cutaway meant for a right handed player, and if I buy another guitar I will immediately have end pins put on it so I can stand and play using a neck strap. I would feel silly or over pretentious if I had a preference for what kind of woods; the sides could be laminates for all it matters as long as the guitar is "better" than what I have now.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeleric View Post
I suppose I have no reason to want anything different than a "typical" sized classical guitar (2.04 inches at the nut, 25.59 inch scale length, no thinner than "typical sized", except that I want a cutaway meant for a right handed player, and if I buy another guitar I will immediately have end pins put on it so I can stand and play using a neck strap. I would feel silly or over pretentious if I had a preference for what kind of woods; the sides could be laminates for all it matters as long as the guitar is "better" than what I have now.
It sounds like you have a clear vision of what you want in your next guitar. I say go for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical