The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-18-2015, 07:07 AM

Default callous question

New to classical guitars. I've been fingerpicking steel string parlors for close to a year and making decent progress. I aquired a Kremona fiesta fc yesterday and tomorrow going on vacation (by car, short drive).

My reason for getting a classical was two fold. Primary was to get extra practice time and secondly, to have an additional tone range for some variety. I'm really liking the guitar and have no problem with comfort or playablility.

My question is more of a curious nature. For you folks that play both nylon and steel - if I play the nylon for a week or so, getting much more playing time that I would normally, will I notice much loss of my callouses when I pick up the steel string again?

I may take two guitars anyway but if we end up taking too much stuff, one guitar may be more practical.

Thanks for any responses.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:19 AM

I think this is a good question.
I do think some callous loss happens when only nylon stringed instruments are played.
I was without my 12 string for a while and though I still play an hour or two each morning, I felt it when I got it back.
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 06-18-2015, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I play nylon 95+% of the time. The callouses on my fretting fingers are so thick I have to sand them smooth and down every week or so. Since acquiring the steel string I now have and am playing occasionally does't seem to need thicker callouses. YMMV

Dave
Old 06-18-2015, 07:28 AM

Nylon strings are softer than steel, so you will need tougher calluses to play steel. As to exactly how long it would take for calluses to diminish for a steel string player who switches exclusively to nylon strings, well I suppose you'd have to determine that for yourself, as it probably depends on many variables. As a player of both types (but primarily nylon and electric), I have to trim my right hand nails quite short to keep from damaging them when I switch to steel strings. Even when I play electric guitar with a plectrum, I often damage the index finger nail on my right hand.

Last edited by riffmeister; 06-18-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bange View Post
I think this is a good question.
yes, not a callous question at all, really quite sensitive.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
yes, not a callous question at all, really quite sensitive.
LOL
I have substantial calluses and play nylon 95% - I don't find my fingers hurt when I play steel string, though it does cause my nails to get rough! I would imagine it's like a gentle stream vs a waterfall - longer time on the nylon will give calluses the same as a shorter amount of steel string playing - though I don't know what those times would be. For me around 20 hrs a week.... probably has something to do with it.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the responses. I realize that there will be considerable variance per individual but was interested in the general case.

My guess is that, with the extra playing time, I won't loose much over a week but hey, sometimes idol curiosity is fun........I have no friends that play instruments so you're the only folks I have to talk to......

And I do like to be sensitive at times, depending on the song........
Old 06-18-2015, 08:43 AM

These days I play more nylon string than steel string. I do find my callouses are less durable from nylon and I need extra shedding time on steel string to toughen em up a little for optimum results. I can go out and do a steel string gig with out any real difficulty though.

The biggest difference I notice is when bending and not due to the callous. There is little to no bending on nylon. I am in the no bending category. Bending puts pressure on the nail to nail bed interface and if I am not careful bending I can get a nasty split between the nail and the bed when I go to steel string. A few days of steady steel string practice toughens this area up as well as boosts my bending technique.

hunter
Old 06-18-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
There is little to no bending on nylon. I am in the no bending category.

hunter
Being new to nylon, this is interesting. Is this due to nylon materials don't work well with bending or due to the style of music you're using nylon for?
Old 06-18-2015, 09:21 AM

I think it's more that classical guitar pieces that require bending strings are few and far between. If you listen to those with a more Eastern flavor, it's there. I particularly like Domeniconi's variations on Anatolian Folk Songs played by Mesut Ozgen - lots of bent strings.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrkrJim View Post
Being new to nylon, this is interesting. Is this due to nylon materials don't work well with bending or due to the style of music you're using nylon for?
I play Spanish, Brazilian, Latin primarily. I find the materials don't work as well.

hunter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical