The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-13-2015, 07:18 PM

Default Lessons online and short scale CGs

Hi, can you guys recommend some if any of the best online lessons? I'm a non paying member on jamplay.com, don't want to commit if there's another better. Total beginner in classical music, still yet to get me a CG. Waiting for a cheapie on Ebay. Also, I can't seem to find CG's that are full bodied short scale. Do I have to get one from a Luthier? I have 2 steel strings and the shortscale one is much more easier to reach. I imagine its the same case with nylons. I would like to buy a proper full bodied short scale CG in the future.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:04 AM

I played a full-body 640 scale classical guitar made by a guitar maker in Detroit, and I loved it. I think the 650 and larger scale is actually longer than it should be. One day I would like a full-body 640 scale. I tried to find info on the maker, but I've lost it when I reinstalled my computer operating system! Other short scale GCs appear to be out there.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:46 AM

Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chip in here - but I have a luthier built 630 and it's a little bit smaller than a full size classical - and every 630 I"ve seen has been that way -perhaps something to do with the proportions needed. 640's are usually full size (at least the ones I've seen). Kenny Hill's lower (Chinese made) range has short scale guitars and the 640's are full size. I had one of his 630 Players at one time though I don't think they are worth paying the extra over his laminate back and sides guitars. I've heard good things about short scale Kremona's too -

Last edited by creamburmese; 08-17-2015 at 07:52 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-17-2015, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

If your two steel string guitars are 14-fret models you may find the 12-fret design of the classical guitar, even a 650 scale, may be comfortable. You need to go play some classicals to get a feel for them.

One more bit of advice. If you are serious about classical music you need to raise the bar above "...a cheapie on Ebay..".

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical