The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-28-2017, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Advice for slide guitar newbie?

Although I've long admired slide and knife style guitar I've never attempted it before. Recently a buddy loaned me a Rory Block instruction DVD which looks like it includes some good tunings licks to start with. It looks like I have a project for the woodshedding months this winter.

The one thing I lack is a good slide.

So my first question for you folks here is what is your favorite slide? Glass or metal? And which finger do you wear it on?

Also, if you have found any slide guitar instruction videos that were especially helpful please tell me about them.

And just for fun what is your favorite slide guitar recording or video? Here's mine.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Hi Al, finding the right bottle-neck / slide is like finding the right picks - most end up with a collection!

Thin, light pyrex type slides are only OK for electric guitar players.

I suggest that you seek out a brass or steel tube style with at least a 1/8" think wall - like a Dunlop heavy wall - ref: 224.

Glass ones are also fine - I use a Diamond slide "blue diamond". (UK made)

Remember- the weight on your sliding finger enables you to play lightly with the left hand and put the "power" in the tone with you're right ....assuming you are right handed of course.

Looking forward to Toby's comments on this.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info Andy. I emailed a buddy who is a slide guitar player and he also likes a heavy glass slide. He suggests a Dunlop no. 213.

I expect you're right that I'll end up with an assortment so I think I'll start out with a few glass slides and see what I end up using the most.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Hey Al,

I like the AcoustiGlide slide for my acoustics. (Latch Lake Music)
I prefer a heavy glass slide for electric.
Wolfram has some (ceramic?) slides I still want to audition,
But haven’t yet.
For my style, and tone, I think Leo Kottke and on electric, Johnny Winter.
Those two are not my only influences on slide, but their tone can not be overlooked. I reference Leo’s “6 and 12 string guitar”,
and Johnny’s “Second Winter”.
Rory is a force to be reckoned with. Your friend did you a good favor.
Ry Cooder should be taken seriously as well.
Robert Johnson should be high on the list.
Muddy Waters played some mean slide, as did Ellen McIlwaine.
Duane Allman is in a class by his self.
There are many more to choose from, listen to, steal from and admire.
I’ll gladly give you more suggestions.

Mark

Here’s a little acoustic slide I recorded. FF to 1:16 to get right to it.

https://youtu.be/zeFBJ7LNQlk
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"

Last edited by Tele1111; 09-28-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:53 AM

Cool Slide Types

I've been using a hollow steel finger slide that works O.K on my pinkie & ring finger .

I've also started to experiment playing my guitar across my lap and I feel it's got a thing
going I like , different and a little easier . Tried a friend's solid steel like the one's pictured
recently and I'm getting one now after trying one .

I'm going to get a solid steel type rounded on one side and concave or small hole
on the other to add/help add to it's rounded end's tactile feature .

The one I have has limits the other design is able to perform while using it on you lap .

I'm beginning to understand why some of the best slide players are lap style or
like a Jerry Douglas type standing players .

The solid one with that rounded end seems to be a tad easier to use on single notes
on the 5/4 strings and top 1/2 that I find harer to pull off with the present slide I have .

Before I do though I have to try one of these I haven't yet :

Not sure if any of these is going to make a big improvement , maybe it's just me . I'll find out

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 09-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm going to order several slides mail order. After reading about ceramic slides I'm curious to try one of those as well as some glass slides. Is anyone using one of the Rocky Mountain ceramic slides?
Old 09-29-2017, 11:13 AM

I use a couple of different ceramic slides on occasion. One is glazed and is a little less bright than thick-walled glass, but similar in weight and "plays" the same. The other is unfished, with a sort of bone-like texture and can really scrape against the string. That later one is essential for some kinds of things, really dirty playing where you want to accentuate the string noise.

Slides are like picks to me, can't have too many different types around.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-29-2017, 11:33 AM

I prefer thick walled glass that actually come from bottle necks. I don't care for a perfectly straight and uniform large factory made glass slide. They do play and feel different IMHO.

I have use brass but switched to totally to glass a couple of years ago.

Oh, I use the pinky.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-29-2017, 01:16 PM

Probably as many different opinions as there are players - my preference is for a ceramic slide, worn on my pinkie. Used on both my resonator and regular flat-top. Currently I'm using a mudslide. For my electric I actually prefer to use the top of a wine bottle. I started with a brass one but find them a bit heavy and clunky. The only drag with the glass and ceramic ones is I've dropped a couple and they smashed to bits.
For lap slide I use a metal lap-dawg.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

Last edited by tdq; 09-29-2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 09-29-2017, 02:11 PM

My preferred slide is a slide combined with a loose fitting ring. The first version was a length of half round brass soldered to a strip of nickel plated copper, cut from an old ash tray, and bent into a ring. I made loads of these over the years from a strip of brass bought for a boat project. Funnily enough they all got stolen. The only one I have now is made from approx 1" galvanised steel pipe. An 'L' shaped cut in the right position gives you the ring and the slide. If I was making one today I'd use a thin bladed angle grinder. Back then I did the long hard slog with a hack saw and a file.

It is used on the little finger. If I hold my hand palm down the slide falls into playing position. A slight bend of the little finger keeps it in position.

A deft flick of the wrist and the slide goes to the back of the finger. My normal playing position keeps it there. The good bit is you can go from normal playing to slide instantly. The last time I used one was in a duo. There was no time to swap guitars or change tuning so all of my playing was in normal tuning.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Although I've long admired slide and knife style guitar I've never attempted it before. Recently a buddy loaned me a Rory Block instruction DVD which looks like it includes some good tunings licks to start with. It looks like I have a project for the woodshedding months this winter.

The one thing I lack is a good slide.

So my first question for you folks here is what is your favorite slide? Glass or metal? And which finger do you wear it on?

Also, if you have found any slide guitar instruction videos that were especially helpful please tell me about them.

And just for fun what is your favorite slide guitar recording or video? Here's mine.

Oh man, Ry Cooder is unearthly good. I like him better than Derek Trucks -- and I love Derek Trucks.

Was Trucks mentioned as a guy worth listening to? And Elmore James of course
Old 10-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Hi Al!

As one of the slide companies mentioned above (thanks Silly Moustache!) ~ my advice is pretty simple...if you're a total newcomer to slide guitar and just dipping your toe in the water for the first time, buy a cheap Dunlop pyrex or steel slide that FITS exactly as you like and bash that to pieces on your guitar until you start enjoying the style - the more you play, the better you'll learn all aspects of slide guitar.

Always remember, there are much better slides available than most store-bought offerings - but if you feel that after a few weeks' slide guitar isn't for you, you've only lost a $5.00 slide!

When you're really getting into the slide groove and becoming serious about the style - revisit here and the bretheren will point you to some amazing guitar slides!

Slide On!

Ian (Diamond Bottlenecks)

Last edited by Diamond Slides; 10-06-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:58 AM

Favorite slide recording?? Whoah! No contest!

My own personal favourite tool is a genuine bottleneck, from a green wine bottle.
But I also like the scratchier sound of an offcut of 22mm copper plumbing tube.

Almost anything will do (I've used a pint beer glass live before ), but I really don't like plastic slides, however heavy.

The heavier (and smoother) the slide, the better the sustain, but the harder it is to control - unless you have a high action and/or heavy strings.

As for instruction: just remember you need to hold the slide right over the fret, not behind (where you fret the string), and it generally sounds best to swoop up to pitch, and waggle the slide a little to get vibrato.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Favorite slide recording?? Whoah! No contest!
I was going to post "Dark Was The Night" myself, that's the one.
Second for me is this :

Old 10-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Hi Al,

There simply isn't just one answer to your question, but many. I've been playing slide guitar for over 40 years now and have been through just about every type on the market. They're all good, but it's so subjective. Given that, pick a few different types and experiment with them.

As far as which finger to use, that's also up to you. Ry Cooder and Bonnie Raitt used their 2nd finger; Duanne Allman used his 3rd - as I do - and plenty of folks use their pinky.

Personally, I've settled on a slide made of a ceramic compound which feels and sounds like no other, which I've been using now for several years. It's made by the Rocky Mountain Slide Company and the GREAT thing is that 'Doc' Sigmer - the creator - will make them in a variety of sizes and inner diameters. I find that to be pretty important, as they won't slip off your finger.

He's actually made a signature slide for me, but he makes a ton of varieties. Here's the link:
http://www.rockymountainslides.com/t...ure-slide.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write