The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-08-2015, 05:51 PM

Default K&K Pure into a Trace TA100?

I'm looking to order an Emerald 6 string and working through options one of which is a K&K Pure Mini.

My amp is a Trace Elliot TA100 and the channel 1 input has an impedance of 100K. From what I've read about the Pure Mini sounds best with 500K-1 meg input impedance.

The thing I don't know is what will be the result of plugging the Pure Mini into an impedance like that. Please excuse me but I've forgotten this kind of thing.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Not familiar with your amp, but if it is an electric guitar amp, you will probably not be happy with the sound.

That said, K&Ks will sound too bright into that low of an impedance, better with 500K, and best with 1 Meg. You need a direct box which can be a quite simple passive device, or a full featured pre amp. If your amp has XLR inputs, you're good with a passive DI. If it just has quarter inch jacks you need something with quarter inch outputs as well as XLRs.

I use a RedEye direct box which is a very basic but high quality DI. Many others out there.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Adamas View Post
I'm looking to order an Emerald 6 string and working through options one of which is a K&K Pure Mini.

My amp is a Trace Elliot TA100 and the channel 1 input has an impedance of 100K. From what I've read about the Pure Mini sounds best with 500K-1 meg input impedance.

The thing I don't know is what will be the result of plugging the Pure Mini into an impedance like that. Please excuse me but I've forgotten this kind of thing.

Thanks.
I did some comparisons of the K&K mini using 100k Ohm, 1MegOhm and 10MegOhm, everything else being the same except the takes. The K&K mini did not fare well with a 100k Ohm input impedance, at least compared to the higher values.

However, it should be a simple modification to raise the input impedance to a higher value. Any competent amp tech could do it in short order.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Adamas View Post

Thanks.

You'll lose bass and it may sound thin. Some people claim the K&K has way too much bass, so maybe you'll like that. But odds are against it. You can add a DI, preamp, or an onboard preamp, if that's an option. Are you sure the Trace has 100K input impedance? That's pretty low for any acoustic amp.

EDIT: Just did a quick search. Trace site says the amp has "1/4" (6.35mm) jack input with Piezo switch, to switch to ultra-high impedance input stage on Channel 1." I'd assume "ultra-high impedance" is not 100K, hopefully at least 1M, maybe 10M, tho unfortunately, they don't say.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The channel 1 input can switch between 100k or 10 meg input impedance. The later setting also increases the input sensitivity by 10 dB.

What I'm considering is if I can run high a UST and the K&K at the same time. The inputs on the TA100 allow you to run a dual pickup/mic system with a TRS cable and automatically run one pickup through channel 1 and the other through channel 2.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification