The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-02-2015, 02:12 PM

Default K&K Pure Mini vs Pure Classic

I have a new gig guitar, Collings OM1A cutaway. I'm happy! Now I need to get a pickup. I'm happy with the K&K Pure Mini in my SCGC short scale OM, so I'm sure I'd be happy with a Pure Mini in the Collings. I'm wondering if anyone has had good experience going with the Pure Classis (and its four sensors) instead of the Pure Mini (with its three sensors). Thanks!
Old 08-02-2015, 02:41 PM

The pure classic is for nylon string classicals!
Old 08-02-2015, 02:47 PM

I know. Just asking the question.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I remember one person who put the 4 element K&K into a steel string acoustic. He liked it, but I suspect he would have liked the three element K&K too.

Perhaps you should call Dieter at K&K and ask. If anybody knows, he would.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:13 PM

Default Pure Mini vs Pure Classic

Hi Guys,

While there can be exceptions the Pure Classic is for fan and lattice braced guitars (typically classic guitars) and the Pure Mini is for x-braced (typically steel string guitars) and similar guitars. Also typically the Classical Guitars have more room on the bridge plate and have a brace right down the middle so that the regular 3 piezopure mini doesn't have a place to put the middle piezo. The pure mini works great for most steel string acoustic guitars, and there is no use for more than the three. Some guitars actually work great with two, but we recommend the pure mini for most.

Hope this helps answer you questions! Feel free to email us at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Alex KKSound

[email protected]
Old 08-23-2019, 04:15 PM

I am new to this forum, and knowing that this thread is old, I will give my opinion.
The K&K sound "pure classic" pickup I find it excellent, very good sound, it is very close to the natural, it has a lot of body, yes, I use the LR Baggs DI preamp and I have to cut it low at 80 Hz.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz_2006 View Post
I know. Just asking the question.
Hi bozz

The size of the pickup elements in the Pure mini is 12.5mm and I’m not sure what they are in the Classical version. The typical space on the bridgeplate available in an OM is often small (cramped). That would be of more concern to me than the number 3 or 4.

Dieter at K&K could probably advise you on the likelihood of success.

[EDIT]I see K&K’s tech waded into the discussion…I’d listen to him.[/EDIT]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-24-2019, 10:47 AM

I used the Pure Classic version on one of my 6 string guitars. It didn't sound any different than the three sensor version to my ears. Some like to double the high e string because it can sound weak on some guitars. That might be the only reason I can think of using four sensors. I think a two sensor version with large discs might even sound better, per the comment above. I might try that in the future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification