The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 PM

Default New Strat or Tele Prices

First, I am somewhat uneducated on electric guitars, but...

I am in the market for a new American Strat or Tele. The American Standard Strat is typically priced at $1299 from my experience. What should I realistically expect to pay for this model? Can it be had for an even grand?

Likewise, there are two steps up at $1499 and $1699. Are the price increases generally a premium for better pickups?
Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 PM

Don't buy new. There are so many minty used out there. But no matter, you gotta figure out if you want a Strat or Tele.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:09 PM

Yeah, you can pretty easily score a nice Am Std for under a 1K. Both Strats and Teles have strong proponents here, but you gotta play a few and figure out what you prefer. Make sure you try a few different amps, too. Both can be wonderfully rewarding to play through a high quality amp.

Stepping up to the Deluxe mostly gets you upgraded pickups (not that there's anything wrong with the Standard's),a compound radius neck on the Strat, and a few more color options. I think the wiring setup may be a little modified, too.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-24-2014, 10:55 PM

Exactly to everything you have been told to this point. Especially the Don't buy New thing. Unless you are really wanting a new guitar, and I sure understand that, buying used in this market is the way to go. I see Ametican Standard Strats regularly for as low as $700 on another forum.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:53 AM

I'd rather buy new myself. Too many modsters out there changing pickups and wires and pots. I've bought plenty of used from Guitar Center and the clerks that take them in don't know. Yep, some unscrupulous people buy a guitar and take out the good pickups and replace them with cheap and trade it in.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
I'd rather buy new myself. Too many modsters out there changing pickups and wires and pots. I've bought plenty of used from Guitar Center and the clerks that take them in don't know. Yep, some unscrupulous people buy a guitar and take out the good pickups and replace them with cheap and trade it in.
Pretty easy to find out if this has happened? Just use some buyer discretion, ask questions and LOOK!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:17 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I picked up an Am Std Strat yesterday. Played like a charm. Couple hundred bucks off in a sale. My favourite setup guy works in the same shop, offered to set her up before I left. Very happy with it.

Something very nice about a brand spanking new guitar once in a while. Enjoyed peeling off the pickguard plastic last night. Sat and played her for half an hour through my little Yamaha THR and couldn't stop grinning. The current Am Std Strats are really very nicely made and the Fat 50s pickups in 'em sound great.

(I got the Olympic white with maple fretboard, paid $1199 plus tax CAD... very happy).
Old 10-25-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't really bother me if I were planning to drop in Lollar or Fralin pickups, as long as they were up front about it. I'm into soldering at that point anyway, so fixing the harness is no biggie. Mods that change the function or aesthetics for me are a no go though.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-25-2014, 01:30 PM

I bought a new 2012 Mystic Blue Am Std Telecaster in Jan 2014. It came with instructions in Spanish. I guess it was hanging around somewhere for a year or two. I assume it has the Twisted Tele neck and Broadcaster bridge PUs as advertised. It was $999 including shipping. I may put some thicker, hotter PUs in it at some point since I'm used to humbuckers.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 10-25-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Pretty easy to find out if this has happened? Just use some buyer discretion, ask questions and LOOK!
On a strat or tele you would have to remove strings and pickguard to tell what pickups are installed. I bought a used stratocaster standard that was modded to look like a deluxe. I got home and checked the serial no. and took it right back. I ended up getting a new Stratocaster Deluxe($1799) for $1200 because of their misrepresentation. I have to hand it to Guitar Center, they did make it right. I have more stories too.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
On a strat or tele you would have to remove strings and pickguard to tell what pickups are installed. I bought a used stratocaster standard that was modded to look like a deluxe. I got home and checked the serial no. and took it right back. I ended up getting a new Stratocaster Deluxe($1799) for $1200 because of their misrepresentation. I have to hand it to Guitar Center, they did make it right. I have more stories too.
I always ask to have the strings removed to open it up. Guitar Center doesn't object at all. Private sellers have never really minded either.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
I bought a new 2012 Mystic Blue Am Std Telecaster in Jan 2014. It came with instructions in Spanish. I guess it was hanging around somewhere for a year or two. I assume it has the Twisted Tele neck and Broadcaster bridge PUs as advertised. It was $999 including shipping. I may put some thicker, hotter PUs in it at some point since I'm used to humbuckers.
Not to hijack this Thread, but I had that same pickup combo in an American Standard and did not like them much at al. Thin, ice picky and fatiguing to my ear. If you want to maintain the Tele-ness of the sound but thicker with more presence check out the Rocketfire Butterscotch Blonde set. I considered ALOT of pockups and these just floored me.

Last edited by terrapin; 10-25-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:59 AM

Default cheap new Strat

Do yourself a favor and check out the American USA Nitro Satin Series in hand rubbed honeyburst finish. It sells for $799.00 and uses the standard pick ups, comes with a soft gig bag instead of a hard case, a maple neck, and vintage saddles. It is truly amazing and looks better than the painted ones. I take lessons from a really good guitarist (not just a player) and he was even impressed. Considering plays a custom built Warrior, custom built Tele (that he played), and an eight string custom built Ibanez, that's saying a lot.
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 10-29-2014, 01:18 PM

This might provide a clear example of how it just makes sense to buy used in this market. This Tele that I just completed has a 2012 American Standard Body, neck, bridge, control plate, tuners and electronics. I bought it used on another forum for $450.00! I also bought a used set of Rocketfire Butterscotch Blonde pickups which are a $200.00 retail and I got them for $110.00. So I have $560.00 into a wonderful all American made guitar that would have been approximately $1300.00 if bought new (guitar and pickups). Buying used is a No-Brainer to me!

Old 10-29-2014, 03:57 PM

I wouldn't limit myself to having to be MIA as your first... as others say, look for a clean used, I have em all, MIA, MIM, China Custom Vibe Squires with my left stock MIA's being the least played because I tweaked the others to be as good if not better, hell I just picked up a perfect used with the plastic still on the guard, 2012 CV60 from GC for $200.00 switched out the tremelo with a MIM big block($18.00, from Amazon and a set of Rose Mariposa's pu's for 65 bucks) and it kicks butt...Fender MIA is all hype and marketing, I even have some home brew MiteyMite body's and neck part casters that are awesome...but if you just have to have that Fender with the MIA serial number then your the perfect candidate for their pricing...

Last edited by Ikeepem; 10-29-2014 at 04:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars