The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-02-2014, 07:55 AM

Default 2015 Les Paul

Just found out for those interested, the 2015 Les Paul has a new nut width of 1.795" (1 3/4"), a nice increase from the old 1.687" (1 11/16"), also includes the automatic tuners, and at $1295.00 a good price on a new Gibson USA, I think! GC just doesn't know when they can get one in for me to try, I can't wait.
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 10-02-2014, 09:43 AM

I am looking at the 2015 specs for the Les Paul Standard and it does state "Wider neck and fingerboard: Increased playing area with same string spacing". No difference in the string spacing though (which makes sense).

Average weight is 5.5 lbs. Wow, that's a shocker.
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...-Standard.aspx

Looking forward to seeing them. The Studios look like similar specs as well.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exterra1 View Post
...the 2015 Les Paul has a new nut width of 1.795" (1 3/4"), a nice increase from the old 1.687" (1 11/16"), also includes the automatic tuners...
Glad I got my P-90 goldtop when I did - only bigger dealbreaker for me than the Min-E-Tune and wide neck would be a "Made in China" sticker...
Old 10-02-2014, 03:22 PM

http://reverb.com/blog/gibson-to-inc...odels-for-2015

????? Doesn't sound like Gibson has "nice" prices to me? I think Gibson is pretty much stuck in a "downsized quality/upsized pricing" cycle.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post

????? Doesn't sound like Gibson has "nice" prices to me? I think Gibson is pretty much stuck in a "downsized quality/upsized pricing" cycle.
I agree! Gibson is overpriced for what you get.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 10-02-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
I agree! Gibson is overpriced for what you get.
Ya' think......................
Old 10-02-2014, 04:00 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Sounds cool except for those automatic tuners. That just seems kind of gimmicky and I can't imagine it works 100%. Someone will have to put one in my hands to make me a believer on that one. And 5lbs? Really???
Old 10-02-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Sounds cool except for those automatic tuners. That just seems kind of gimmicky and I can't imagine it works 100%. Someone will have to put one in my hands to make me a believer on that one. And 5lbs? Really???
I didn't see the automatic tuners. Like yourself, I don't want them either. 5.5 lbs does sound hard to believe for an average Les Paul Standard price. I have a Standard Plus and a Studio and one of them is 9.x and the other is 10.x lbs. It's actually the Studio that is heavier.

You think 5.5 is a misprint? It must be.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:45 PM

Kinda wondered about that myself, considering five pounds is around the top of the range for a good modern flattop guitar. In their defense, however, I've seen late-model SG's that scale in at a tad under six pounds (albeit rare, but they're out there); the website also seems to imply that they've got a line on some "ultra-low density" wood (I'm thinking chromyte/balsa as used in the '90s ES-135, rather than true mahogany), and they've been routing the LP bodies for a while now (unlike the totally-solid SG), so it is theoretically possible - but would you really want one...?
Old 10-03-2014, 06:14 AM

5 lbs sounds a bit odd. I'm also not sure about the wide neck but same string spacing. I guess it just allows additional real estate outside the low/high e so you don't pull the string off the fretboard when bending. Maybe their streamlining the fretboards between acoustic and electrics, lol.

As far as the minEtune, or Gforce this year, the one that came on my 2014 works pretty well and quickly. I think the bad reviews of folks having problems were caused by not knowing how to use it. I watched one vid and the guy kept strumming over and over why it was trying to tune, thus took him forever. If you try it out, strum once and then any remaining strings that stay red strum once individually. For me, bouncing between Std, half step, and open g in a matter of seconds is pretty cool. The 2015 has even more tuning variations.

One thing that many also fail to notice is the system is not bolted or permanent. It's simply held in place by the tuning leg nuts on the top side of the headstock. It can be removed leaving no holes and traditional tuners can be installed.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB0wi5-5wNU
Old 10-04-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY000 View Post
That was awesome!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I am looking at the 2015 specs for the Les Paul Standard and it does state "Wider neck and fingerboard: Increased playing area with same string spacing". No difference in the string spacing though (which makes sense).

Average weight is 5.5 lbs. Wow, that's a shocker.
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...-Standard.aspx

Looking forward to seeing them. The Studios look like similar specs as well.
I have an old Les Paul, and if you put lighter strings on it, it's hard to stay on the fretboard. So this is a plus.

Also, mine weighs like 9.5 lbs. As a wise man once observed, "No wonder Jimmy Page has a slouch!"
Old 10-11-2014, 05:18 AM

I'm stoked about these 2015 Les Pauls but the prices are going way up. The Standard's MSRP has jumped 29%! No more satin finish models either so those LPJs must be history.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'm stoked about these 2015 Les Pauls but the prices are going way up. The Standard's MSRP has jumped 29%! No more satin finish models either so those LPJs must be history.

I wonder if they just didn't revert to the old "MSRP" and abandoned the "MAP" pricing they tried this year.

That would not suprise me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars