The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-24-2014, 08:50 AM

Default The electric guitar that got away?

Anyone have any Electric guitars that got away stories? Perhaps you owned a '50s/'60s Gibson/Fender then sold it before prices appreciated? Or you went back to buy it and the guitar was sold?

Same with amps, pedals, electric gear.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:56 AM

'68 Les Paul Custom and '65 Strat...

I miss my ES-335 and ES-347 as well...

Amps: black face Super Reverb, Traynor YGL-3 Custom in an Anvil case, rough brown tolex Vibrolux.

Favorite pedals from the '70s: Mutron Phasor and MXR Distortion +.

That was my gig rig - that, and some platform shoes and bell bottom pants.

George
Old 09-24-2014, 04:10 PM

A 1979 Gibson Les Paul Standard in tobacco burst. Got second hand from Gil Southworth in 1997 or so. It was beat to hell but played and sounded awesome. Selling it was one of many poor guitar-related decisions I've made.

I own a guitar.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

1981 Gibson Sonex 180 Custom. These were cheap Les Paul copies, and they made a few configurations. The Custom model was rare and was a superb guitar. It had an ebony fingerboard, full Les Paul wiring harness, coil tapped Dirty Finger zebra humbuckers. It was an incredible guitar and it had more sustain than a Les Paul because of the engineered body.

It flopped in the market (ahead of its time?) and I got one super cheap. I played that guitar more than all of the guitars I've owned combined.

Had to sell it when I got married and bought a house and needed money.

Three decades later I found a replacement and did a total restoration.

Love that guitar!

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-24-2014, 04:52 PM

A candy-apple red Telecaster with a nice rosewood slabboard. Had to sell it because I came on hard times. Man, that thing was a screamer.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:48 PM

1953 Les Paul gold top with wrap around tailpiece. This guitar was truly in mint condition with the brown Lifton case. Not a ding, scratch or lacquer check. Belonged to a gal's aunt who had passed away and I appraised all of the musical instruments for sale. I sold for her 10 old lap steels, a 1958 0-18 and some other misc stuff at no charge. At the time the Les Paul booked at $4500.00 in ex condition. I didn't have the money so I called a collector that I knew and he gladly paid the $4500.00. Ouch. I should have begged and borrowed to drum up the money. ( By the next year the book value on that guitar went through the roof.) At the time I was just doing someone a favor but she did give me an old Gibson GA-20 amp for my hard work that I found out later had the receipt in it for the amp and Les Paul when purchased new in 1953. So I sold the amp with the receipt to the collector that had bought the Les Paul. The following year he called me up to tell me that he sold the guitar and amp for more money than even he thought was possible. Talk about salt in the wound. Oh well. At the time I found the right people that would pay market value for all of this gal's equipment. I thought I did a great thing helping her out like that. Come to find out she was telling other people later that I ripped her off. That kinda hurt.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:16 PM

Steinberger GM4T. Musicyo always had them when I was a broke student. Intermittently in stock when I had a job and money. They were in stock when I'd buy something big.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
...went back to buy it and the guitar was sold...Same with amps, pedals, electric gear...
Guitars:

NOS '60 Gretsch 6118 Double Annie: puke-green w/PAF Filter'trons, $150 w/HSC @ Silver & Horland in '64 - didn't like the color, passed it up

'66 Gretsch Double Annie in dark blue (a la Rick Azureglo): saw it in Sam Ash (Brooklyn) in early '67, couldn't afford it - from what I've been able to research it was probably one-of-a-kind, former bandmate bought it used for $75, wouldn't sell it to me

NOS '67 Epiphone Al Caiola Standard: $175 w/OHSC at Manny's in '75, reduced to $150 in '76 - passed it up, wasn't really playing much electric at the time

NOS late-60's Fender Bass VI: Manny's front window '75, passed it up

'64 Gibson EB-6: Manny's '76, looked at it/said WTF, passed it up @$450

'66 Gibson EB-3: excellent-plus condition, must've weighed all of 6 pounds if that much, $265 at Alex Music in '77 - passed it up

Gretsch 6120: $95 @ We Buy Guitars - thought about it, waited a bit too long, Brian Setzer got there before I did

Gretsch Eldorado (ca. 1958) with suspended DeArmond Rhythm Chief - had a Melita bridge that completely killed the acoustic tone, passed it up @$325 in '78

'68 Epiphone Al Caiola Custom: $375 @ Manny's in '81, turd salesman wouldn't take a $350 cash deposit and balance in 24 hours - came back next day and it was gone

NOS '67 Epiphone Riviera 12-string: cherry-red w/OHSC, hanging in the showcase since the day the store opened - passed it up, didn't need an electric 12 at the time

NOS '70 Gibson EB-3: same store, slothead, walnut, one of the last with 2-point nylon-saddle bridge and string mute - non-playing buddy got it for $300 w/OSSC on speculation

'82 Gibson Korina trio: same store, the first-run jobs that guys are paying well into five figures for - didn't like the Moderne, actually considered the V, went back and it and the Explorer were gone

Amps:

"58-59 tweed Fender Twin/Bassman: used to see these in the 14th Street (Manhattan) pawn shops in the early/mid-60's for $75 in decent shape - didn't care much for the "old-fashioned" look then, don't care much for the tone now

'75 Music Man 210HD-130 + 115 cab: IMO the ultimate rig if you like your tone big, fat, and clean but also Marshall loud - couldn't scrape the money together before it got sold

'78 Fender Studio Bass 200 Amp: same store as the Riviera/slothead EB-3/korinas. 200W 1x15" combo, sofa-king heavy (100+ lbs.) but loud enough for almost any situation and tone for days - passed it up in '82, and why they never reissued it is beyond me

'66 Fender Super Reverb: $395 in '84 - store also had a Music Man 410-65, remembered how much I loved the 210 + 115 stack, bought the MM for $100 less than the Super

'66 Ampeg B-12XT: Ampeg's flip-top Twin-eater, $500 in '84 - passed it up, just bought the MM

'87 Mesa Boogie Mark III: brand-new, mismarked as a Studio 22 @ $495 at one of the well-known chains - passed it up, figured they'd catch me at the register...
Old 09-24-2014, 08:51 PM

I was 18 years old, 1976 and we went out to look at some PA equipment for sale. He had a cherry red ES-335 for sale, that felt so fine. $500 that I didn't have. Oh well.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Dru;

In 1965, I was 14 years old, living with my Mom and Stepdad in Orange County, CA. I had met these fellows and they had a garage band, so, of course, I joined in...

Not having an electric guitar meant I was just a "sometime" member, but, after a few months, the 3rd rhythm guitarist decided he would play bass, and he offered to sell me his guitar rig...

A powder-blue 1963 Strat with a blonde Bandmaster w/ matching reverb tank... for $175! That's right, ONE HUNDRED SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS!!!!

I begged and pleaded with my folks to loan me the money; I think I had $75 of my own. They just would not do it... no matter what I tried...

Many's the time I have wondered about my musical direction, had I gotten that guitar and amplifier... as it was, I ended up going for acoustic guitar and songwriting. Didn't really 'get into" playing electric until the mid-70's... to this day, the acoustic guitar just feels like "home" to me...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Guitars:

NOS '60 Gretsch 6118 Double Annie: puke-green w/PAF Filter'trons, $150 w/HSC @ Silver & Horland in '64 - didn't like the color, passed it up

'66 Gretsch Double Annie in dark blue (a la Rick Azureglo): saw it in Sam Ash (Brooklyn) in early '67, couldn't afford it - from what I've been able to research it was probably one-of-a-kind, former bandmate bought it used for $75, wouldn't sell it to me

NOS '67 Epiphone Al Caiola Standard: $175 w/OHSC at Manny's in '75, reduced to $150 in '76 - passed it up, wasn't really playing much electric at the time

'66 Gibson EB-3: excellent-plus condition, must've weighed all of 6 pounds if that much, $265 at Alex Music in '77 - passed it up

Gretsch 6120: $95 @ We Buy Guitars - thought about it, waited a bit too long, Brian Setzer got there before I did

Gretsch Eldorado (ca. 1958) with suspended DeArmond Rhythm Chief - had a Melita bridge that completely killed the acoustic tone, passed it up @$325 in '78

'68 Epiphone Al Caiola Custom: $375 @ Manny's in '81, turd salesman wouldn't take a $350 cash deposit and balance in 24 hours - came back next day and it was gone

NOS '67 Epiphone Riviera 12-string: cherry-red w/OHSC, hanging in the showcase since the day the store opened - passed it up, didn't need an electric 12 at the time

NOS '70 Gibson EB-3: same store, slothead, walnut, one of the last with 2-point nylon-saddle bridge and string mute - non-playing buddy got it for $300 w/OSSC on speculation

'82 Gibson Korina trio: same store, the first-run jobs that guys are paying well into five figures for - didn't like the Moderne, actually considered the V, went back and it and the Explorer were gone

Amps:

"58-59 tweed Fender Twin/Bassman: used to see these in the 14th Street (Manhattan) pawn shops in the early/mid-60's for $75 in decent shape - didn't care much for the "old-fashioned" look then, don't care much for the tone now

'75 Music Man 210HD-130 + 115 cab: IMO the ultimate rig if you like your tone big, fat, and clean but also Marshall loud - couldn't scrape the money together before it got sold

'78 Fender Studio Bass 200 Amp: same store as the Riviera/slothead EB-3/korinas. 200W 1x15" combo, sofa-king heavy (100+ lbs.) but loud enough for almost any situation and tone for days - passed it up in '82, and why they never reissued it is beyond me

'66 Fender Super Reverb: $395 in '84 - store also had a Music Man 410-65, remembered how much I loved the 210 + 115 stack, bought the MM for $100 less than the Super

'66 Ampeg B-12XT: Ampeg's flip-top Twin-eater, $500 in '84 - passed it up, just bought the MM

'87 Mesa Boogie Mark III: brand-new, mismarked as a Studio 22 @ $495 at one of the well-known chains - passed it up, figured they'd catch me at the register...
Steve - my first thought was "wow, he's got a great memory". Then I thought "and a lot of will power"!
Old 09-25-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Steve - my first thought was "wow, he's got a great memory". Then I thought "and a lot of will power"!
The only reason I remember these - there are who knows how many others that I didn't mention (and these are just the electrics) - is that there's a story attached to just about all of them, that the 10K character limit wouldn't let me recount here. As far as will power is concerned, that comes easy when you've got an empty wallet/low-paying post-college job/car problems/a couple high-maintenance GF's/student loan to pay off - and forum rules won't let me tell some of those stories in print...
Old 09-26-2014, 08:30 AM

I joined the Air Force in '79 and I was leaving tech school in 1980 for my first base when someone offered me a' 64 Strat for $400. My response was "I already have a Strat"(a garbage '77 and I still have it).
I sold my Mk1" Al Di Meola " Boogie to fund a then new ' 83 Mk2C. Next month will be 3 1 years and it only has around 100 hours on the original tubes.

'13 408 Brazilian: Brazilian neck, Artist grade .

NOS '07 Modern Eagle 1 w/Brazilian Neck & RP's.

'10 "Steve Fischer" Angelus in Adi/Coco.

'13 Artist Package Tonare Grand in Brazilian.

Fender:

'77 Strat w/EMG SA's.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The only reason I remember these - there are who knows how many others that I didn't mention (and these are just the electrics) - is that there's a story attached to just about all of them, that the 10K character limit wouldn't let me recount here. As far as will power is concerned, that comes easy when you've got an empty wallet/low-paying post-college job/car problems/a couple high-maintenance GF's/student loan to pay off - and forum rules won't let me tell some of those stories in print...
Haha, I hear you. Mandated will power.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
1981 Gibson Sonex 180 Custom. These were cheap Les Paul copies, and they made a few configurations. The Custom model was rare and was a superb guitar. It had an ebony fingerboard, full Les Paul wiring harness, coil tapped Dirty Finger zebra humbuckers. It was an incredible guitar and it had more sustain than a Les Paul because of the engineered body.

It flopped in the market (ahead of its time?) and I got one super cheap. I played that guitar more than all of the guitars I've owned combined.

Had to sell it when I got married and bought a house and needed money.

Three decades later I found a replacement and did a total restoration.

Love that guitar!
Fazool, what a great restoration thread. I can't believe I missed it when you initially posted it.

Quote:
Guitars:

Amps:

Wow! Can you imagine how much gear you (and most of us) would have it money and house space wasn't an issue?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars