The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 AM

Default UltraSound Amp as a monitor

I have an Ultrasound CP-100 amp and I was wondering if it was okay to go into one of the channels from the Aux Out on my Allen & Heath non-powered mixer to use the amp as a stage monitor. Have any of you Ultrasound owners used the amp in this fashion. I would like to know before I try it as I don't want to damage the amp. If this isn't permissible or make sense, is there another way to accomplish what I'm trying to do (i.e. use the EFX send/return)? Thanks.
Michael
Old 07-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Musical minimalist

Should work perfectly.....no reason it wouldn't

Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Should work perfectly.....no reason it wouldn't
Used it this past Friday evening on a gig and it worked like a charm!
Old 08-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
I have an Ultrasound CP-100 amp and I was wondering if it was okay to go into one of the channels from the Aux Out on my Allen & Heath non-powered mixer to use the amp as a stage monitor. Have any of you Ultrasound owners used the amp in this fashion. I would like to know before I try it as I don't want to damage the amp. If this isn't permissible or make sense, is there another way to accomplish what I'm trying to do (i.e. use the EFX send/return)? Thanks.
Michael
I've used an Ultrasound 50E (same as a DS Series amp but without the preamp section) for over 10 years as a monitor. Works great if the line level signal feeding it approaches +4 dBu. In your case, you do not have a dedicated line in input on the CP-100, so you would have to use one of the Tape/CD RCA inputs. The CP-100 manual does not give input sesitivity or voltage range specifications for those inputs. I suspect they will be consumer level line level (i.e., -10 dBV). There is a recessed gain attenuator for those inputs, which should help you get a viable level.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I've used an Ultrasound 50E (same as a DS Series amp but without the preamp section) for over 10 years as a monitor. Works great if the line level signal feeding it approaches +4 dBu. In your case, you do not have a dedicated line in input on the CP-100, so you would have to use one of the Tape/CD RCA inputs. The CP-100 manual does not give input sesitivity or voltage range specifications for those inputs. I suspect they will be consumer level line level (i.e., -10 dBV). There is a recessed gain attenuator for those inputs, which should help you get a viable level.
I went from the Aux out on my Allen & Heath unpowered mixer straight into the mic channel number 1 and it worked just fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification