The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-05-2015, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Great tutorial Dave. Nice of you to do this.

I've done 4 KK installs and I prefer making my own template and installing all 3 pups at the same time - it's mostly a matter of preference, but I find it easier. I covered my guitar with a plastic garbage bag to ensure no CA glue drops and used latex gloves.

Interesting that they no longer supply the glue. I guess they had too many calls about bad glue from it getting frozen during transit.

Steve
Old 08-05-2015, 02:28 PM

Thanks, Steve! Glad to have it done, finally. If it is worthwhile, feel free to make it into a sticky.

Plastic bag, newspaper, butchers paper - SOMETHING to protect the top is always an excellent idea.

I know they (K&K) mention it and a few people do, too, but I've never used gloves. Seems to me a bad idea, unless superglue doesn't stick to them.

I should include that question in my next email to Dieter.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:18 PM

I use a fresh glove for each of the three pickup tabs so there's no problem with gloves getting glued up.

I prefer doing one tab at a time using the clear plastic jig so that I can be sure of getting good contact for each and also so that I can check that the tab is positioned properly while it's still possible to move it. Use an automotive inspection mirror for that.

I didn't like the small K&K end pin so I got a brass one that's one inch wide and screws on where the K&K piece would o/wise go. It's made in the US so should be easily available - I think the company is Daniels Luthiery or something like that. Anyway, it works real good for the strap.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification