The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-04-2015, 07:35 AM

Default A Tip for Lyric Users

The L.R. Baggs Lyric pickup seems to be a tricky devil to dial in. There are enough posts here to support this statement. I have a Taylor 310 (prior to Expression System) that I installed the Lyric in months ago. I previously had a Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pickup installed. I removed it and installed the Lyric myself, which was easy to do.

Before buying the Lyric, I looked into other types of pickups. It came down to the Lyric or the K&K Mini. Reading the reviews, I was aware of the challenges the Lyric presented, but when dialed in just right, there is a lot of love for it. I decided to take the risk and get it.

Full disclosure here... I was really disappointed with how thin my guitar sounded when I first plugged in with the Lyric. I tried dialing in the adjustment for the pickup and every possible EQ setting on my Line6 L3 amp. There were improvements, but it really fell short. Next I tried my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and after a couple of hours fiddling with everything, my tone still came up short.

I messed around with other pedals and using my mixer to EQ the Lyric, and although there were improvements, I was never fully satisfied. I regretted choosing the Lyric over the K&K Mini.

Almost giving up, I stumbled upon a fix. It was actually my young teenage daughters suggestion, which I initially discounted but then tried. I also play bass guitar and I often use a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI. I tried plugging my acoustic into it. Wow, a couple of turns on the settings and wallah! I finally achieved the richness I was looking for. Interestingly, there is an acoustic guitar setting in the Bass DI manual. I looked over that when I bought it. I never thought about it for an acoustic guitar.

Now I play live regularly with my Taylor plugged into the Bass DI and the new L.R. Baggs Session DI. Yep, two DI boxes, but I'm using the Bass DI for EQ'ing. I am very satisfied with this setup. My guitar sounds rich, full and very natural.

Since I have not read about anyone else trying this, I thought I'd passing this information along.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:15 AM

Very cool. I, too, am a bassist and have heard good things about the Sansamp... for bass. So, this is very cool to know. As a longtime bassist who's only recently picked up the acoustic and begun to write, I love it, but also gravitate toward a fuller tone (go figure). Thanks!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:48 AM

I just installed a Lyric in my Taylor and I am actually pretty impressed. I had heard about the lack of enhanced bass and was a bit worried but it's not really bothering me. It's true that it doesn't have that enhanced bass that we have grown accustomed to with most acoustic pickups, but I like how it simply amplifies my guitar. I also thought it would require a ton of eq but I am not finding that as much either. The Lyric definitely needs eq adjustments but I don't find them to be any worse than what I would do with a UST or SBT.

As for the fullness of the tone, I do like the Lyric more through an amp than directly through a PA but it's not a huge difference. My only minor complaint is that the Lyric seems to have a bit of white noise when the volume is at max. I am not sure if it's the microphone just enhancing the hiss but it's noticeable.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:09 AM

That's the presence. If you dial it back just a smidge, it'll go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
My only minor complaint is that the Lyric seems to have a bit of white noise when the volume is at max. I am not sure if it's the microphone just enhancing the hiss but it's noticeable.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
That's the presence. If you dial it back just a smidge, it'll go away.
Good call, I did not think of that! Do you know where the presence is set when shipped? Is it in the maxed position from the start? I could back it off a bit for sure as it is a bit too bright.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

There is much more in common between the needs of bass amplification and acoustic guitar than bass and electric guitar. It does not surprise me the Tech 21 Bass Driver works for you. I'll have to drag mine out and play with it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-04-2015, 04:12 PM

very interesting tip. i'm wondering if the behringer bdi21 for bass would be a cheap solution to enhance a lyric pickup, and also add eq at same time? I faintly remembe reading somewhere sometime that someone used a bdi21, not specifically to enhance the tone.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:44 PM

I think I keep mine at about 70% or so. I just dialed it all the way back and fiddled with it until I found the sweet spot, which will different for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Good call, I did not think of that! Do you know where the presence is set when shipped? Is it in the maxed position from the start? I could back it off a bit for sure as it is a bit too bright.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification