The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-10-2016, 08:32 AM

Default Humidity.....Only a concern with all solid guitars?

I have been an electric guitar player for 30+ years. I have just recently purchased my first acoustic guitar. I never paid much attention to humidity issues with my electrics. I realize that solid wood acoustics need to be protected from humidity (too much or too little). What about guitars with solid tops but laminate sides and backs? Are these also subject to problems from humidity?
Would appreciate some education on this topic.

More to come!!!
Old 10-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Many will respond with stories about an acoustic that was left in the closet or under the bed for a long time with no obvious ill effects. My gut feeling is that any acoustic with solid wood construction that is subject to varying extremes of humidity and temperature may or may not adversely affect all, or even most solid top guitars...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyohio75 View Post
…Are these also subject to problems from humidity?

Would appreciate some education on this topic.
Hi JO…

Of course. The solid parts on a guitar (even all laminate) include necks, fingerboards, and bridges. They too are subject to damage from lack of humidity. (so are electric guitar necks & fingerboards)

And a guitar with a solid top and laminate sides/backs is going to just add the top to the above list as one more component which needs to be properly humidified.

If you have ever had protruding frets from a fingerboard drying and shrinking, or seen a bridge begin to lift, then you know lack of proper attention to humidity affects all guitars except carbon fiber.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-10-2016, 09:19 AM

I have a Yamaha FG700S which is laminated and made in 1975 ish, I never even knew that guitars had potential problems with too much/not enough RH.

It's never moved.

My Martins literally change with the seasons (wouldn't change it though).
Old 10-10-2016, 09:45 AM

I think that contraction/expansion in woods can cause severe damage to finishes/lacquers besides what Larry describes but it also depends on how much elasticity they maintain over time.

Possibly the wood can crack as well, I mean if trees and boards can crack then why wouldn't a solid guitar body crack. It's probably an extreme example but I think the physics aren't any different. I haven't actually seen examples of it happen though, perhaps someone else did.

Ludwig
Old 10-10-2016, 10:48 AM

I certainly think humidity is a concern for owners of guitars with a solid top and with laminated back and sides. I cite my Alvarez AD710 with its solid spruce top and laminated back and sides. The top developed a crack due to low humidity a couple of years ago (when I was less aware of the dangers of humidity.)

IMO opinion, most humidity cracks I have encountered develop on the top of a guitar, although I know they can develop elsewhere.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-10-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
brianmay:

I have a Yamaha FG700S which is laminated and made in 1975 ish, I never even knew that guitars had potential problems with too much/not enough RH.

It's never moved.

Builders of lower end acoustics (& high volume sellers), tend to take the safe approach and construct thicker built guitars for the average player who does not want to delve into the world of humidifying....These acoustics will have a much better chance of surviving the gauntlet of dry winters it will face in it's lifetime without humidification.

I look for such acoustics to sit around the house during our very dry winters....they are my "beaters". They have proven that they can survive without humidification and if I can find a nice playing one...then I have a worry free winter "beater" to play in front of my winter fires and then set it down in it's stand and walk away...nice.

Generally, higher end acoustics are constructed with thinner tops, back, sides and bracing. The thinner and lighter the guitar's construction the more the top can move delivering better sound. One of a builders biggest challenges (and post construction worries) is constructing a thin topped & braced acoustic that will sound great and still be strong enough not to implode on itself from the constant pressure of the strings pulling on it. Higher quality acoustics built for quality sound almost certainly will require winter humidification or the thin woods will crack upon drying (shrinking).
"I steer my Bark with hope in the head and fear to the stern"...Thomas Jefferson...right before becoming penniless building the Jefferson Library.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmay View Post

It's never moved.

I had no idea the FG700 dated back that far. I thought it was introduced in 2004/2005.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 10-10-2016, 11:57 AM

I think it is all about where you live and your homes atmosphere.
Here in my corner of the Pacific Northwest it is a non-issue.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
I think it is all about where you live and your homes atmosphere.
Here in my corner of the Pacific Northwest it is a non-issue.
Hey Neighbor. Long time lurker but this is my first post on this forum. I have just recently gotten into acoustic guitar.
I'm in the Willamette Valley and I just checked my RH gauge in my "Music" room and it was sitting at 90%. I have an old house with a game room built on the back of the garage that isn't connected to the house. I renamed the room the Music Room. It is only heated when it is in use. I have all my solid body instruments out there. I am primarily an electric bass player (USA G&L SB-2) but I have a couple of solid body electrics as well. I haven't experienced any problems with my electric instruments in the 20 years I've lived here.
I picked up a Breedlove Pursuit Concert Ebony guitar with Engelmann Spruce top, and I just love it. Put a fresh set of John Pearse strings on it and couldn't be happier with the sound.
I've been hauling the guitar in and out of the house because I'm afraid to leave it out in the Music Room. This is my first acoustic, am I being too cautious or am I doing the right thing?
Thanks,
Ross
Old 10-10-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I look for such acoustics to sit around the house during our very dry winters....they are my "beaters". They have proven that they can survive without humidification and if I can find a nice playing one...then I have a worry free winter "beater" to play in front of my winter fires and then set it down in it's stand and walk away...nice.
This is exactly what I did weeks ago: I purchased a new Savannah OM all mahogany laminated acoustic guitar. Really pretty and well made for the price ($ 89.00 including shipping from Amazon !). It sounds surprisingly well, the set up was perfect, I replaced the nut with one with wider spaced string slots (I have big hands) and I will keep the guitar all winter on its stand. Here in Michigan, even with my (small) humidifier on, the humidity goes down to 30 or even 25%. We'll see how the guitar handles it. If something happens, I'll loose less than $90.00, while my beautiful all solid wood Yamaha LL16 ARE is in its case.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
gerardo1000:

Quote from ToneSrchin:

This is exactly what I did weeks ago: I purchased a new Savannah OM all mahogany laminated acoustic guitar. Really pretty and well made for the price ($ 89.00 including shipping from Amazon !). It sounds surprisingly well, the set up was perfect, I replaced the nut with one with wider spaced string slots (I have big hands) and I will keep the guitar all winter on its stand. Here in Michigan, even with my (small) humidifier on, the humidity goes down to 30 or even 25%. We'll see how the guitar handles it. If something happens, I'll loose less than $90.00, while my beautiful all solid wood Yamaha LL16 ARE is in its case.
Great minds think alike.
"I steer my Bark with hope in the head and fear to the stern"...Thomas Jefferson...right before becoming penniless building the Jefferson Library.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi JO…

Of course. The solid parts on a guitar (even all laminate) include necks, fingerboards, and bridges. They too are subject to damage from lack of humidity. (so are electric guitar necks & fingerboards)

I'd like to echo this.

Humidifying guitars is indeed good for more than just solid wood acoustic guitars.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:23 PM

In the shop that I worked in we had more issues with laminate guitars than solid wood guitars as far as humidity was concerned. However, I think all the wood being used these days is greatly inferior to the wood that was used in the golden era of guitars, even the early Japanese laminate guitars didn't have as many issues as they do now. Also, a lot of the wood that use to be used wasn't cut down, dried super fast then made into a guitar. Guitars today are just built too fast. Talked to Bob Taylor about this once and he agreed, he made the comment that guitars today still think they are trees.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:35 PM

First, high RH does not cause harm. It may affect the sound, but no problems unless it's wet enough for long enough to mildew. Most guitars are constructed in RH range of 40% to 50%, so they should be fine down to 40%RH.

The problems occur when the RH drops below the range in which they were constructed. The wood tries to shrink, but since it's constrained by the sides, it cracks.
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion