The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Best choice?
Buy and return after appointment. 1 1.59%
Buy and keep. 24 38.10%
Just bring the McPherson Sable. 32 50.79%
Punt - you should be too old to care. 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2024, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

I had thought that setting up a HA program for acoustic guitar is a case of enhancing something, but I found it is actually a case of subtracting things. My audiologist showed me on his computer screen when he modified a program on my HAs for me to use while playing guitar. There were about five different effects that the HAs used to make the general speech program more effective. If I have them in for speech they help, but when playing acoustic guitar with the HAs in speech program, I heard the “phasing” effect that others commented on in recent HA threads.

Taking out these effects but leaving the same high frequency compensation that I have for speech, means that when I switch to my “guitar” program I don’t notice any treble change and I hear all my guitars with ears that have compensation specifically for the high frequency loss my audiologist assessed in my initial visit.

Admitting I needed HAs and having a program set up for guitar is the best "guitar" purchase I have made for a long time. I don't GAS for new guitars because all my current ones sound so much better.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

I’ve worn hearing aids for years and choose what an audiologist does to them, the minute I pick up my Martin or any other Acoustic for that matter, they come out. You will do the same. Acoustic sounds through hearing aids are rubbish.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George6654 View Post
I’ve worn hearing aids for years and choose what an audiologist does to them, the minute I pick up my Martin or any other Acoustic for that matter, they come out. You will do the same. Acoustic sounds through hearing aids are rubbish.
That's interesting to read and it shows that the individual circumstances can affect the best path forward. My HA's give me a major improvement in my acoustic guitar sound and now I couldn't imagine playing guitar without them. It does make me wonder though, whether the audiologist dialled back the effects in your HAs to give you a cleaner program for playing guitar? Mine only did it after I told him this had worked for others (which I learnt via the threads I mentioned above).

Last edited by colins; 04-19-2024 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:05 PM

Cool

I say tune the HA to the McPherson and THEN go get yourself that Martin. Afterwards you can always get the HA's re-adjusted. Seems more simple, cheaper and more ethical overall.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:06 AM

Option 5: borrow a Martin from a friend. Otherwise take the McPherson.
Option 6: look for a used Martin and resell it afterwards if needed.

If you buy it from GC and return it you are costing them money.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 04-20-2024, 01:36 PM

I voted for Buy and Keep, but could have easily voted...Just take the McPherson. My reasoning is this: Taking a Martin, or any guitar, that you don't intend on keeping defeats the purpose of dialing in that sound. Plus, it is a bit devious. Plus, what's not to like about getting a new Martin? Look for a 000-18 or 000-28!

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion