The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-17-2006, 12:26 PM

Default What mic is that?

Any ideas on what kind of mic that is on the guitar? The vocal one looks like the Neumann KMS105 Dave uses live, wasn't really sure on that other one.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

It looks like a ribbon mic of some sort. The picture's resolution isn't that good.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:01 PM

Looks like a typical large diaphragm condenser to me (probably a Neumann, but could be any number of brands/models).

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 07-17-2006, 01:16 PM
minister of twang

tough to say. looks to me like it might be a telefunken of some vintage.
l'twangage
Old 07-17-2006, 01:46 PM

Hehe...it is kind of like asking, "Hey, does anyone know what brand of shirt he's wearing?"

No offense Matt

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 07-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

it's a guitar mic

hehehehe

Building one-off acoustic guitars since 2008
Old 07-17-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
Hehe...it is kind of like asking, "Hey, does anyone know what brand of shirt he's wearing?"

No offense Matt
HAHA! No offense when I say that that was a horrible comparison. Listen to some of daves studio stuff and how his guitar sounds, it's really good. I've been messing around for a year now trying to get that sound and I've gotten close but still not there. So I saw this picture and it's one of the few I've seen were I didn't recognise the mic, maybe that mic is a big part of the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray
It looks like a ribbon mic of some sort. The picture's resolution isn't that good.
Ya that's what I thought at first, looks vintage too.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinbeloit
HAHA! No offense when I say that that was a horrible comparison. Listen to some of daves studio stuff and how his guitar sounds, it's really good. I've been messing around for a year now trying to get that sound and I've gotten close but still not there. So I saw this picture and it's one of the few I've seen were I didn't recognise the mic, maybe that mic is a big part of the picture.

Ya that's what I thought at first, looks vintage too.
Perhaps a RCA 77. The R84 by AEA (Wes Dooley) is as great modern ribbon mic, modeled after the old RCA ribbons. Under a grand street.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:00 PM

haha, i just google imaged ribbon mics and was thinking it might be that AEA R84, thanks. Any more suggestions, the bottom part that is not the mesh and filter still looks a little long to be that AEA.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:03 PM

If you know what studio that is (it may say on his CD) just contact them and ask them. They'll probably tell you the whole recording chain.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlon
If you know what studio that is (it may say on his CD) just contact them and ask them. They'll probably tell you the whole recording chain.
hmm, didn't think about that, good idea. I'm not sure when that picture was taken, I know they did their earlier stuff with lillywhite in different studios, the newer stuff is in their private one they built.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:59 AM

Hmmm....based on the guitar he's playing I'd place it right around the date of the Listener Supported album....so Lillywhite is a good bet.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
Hmmm....based on the guitar he's playing I'd place it right around the date of the Listener Supported album....so Lillywhite is a good bet.
I was looking at that, do you think its just a D-35 or his DM3MD, I can't see the headstock... Maybe the pickguards are different, I'll look.

-edit- pickguards are the same... What about that white strip were the 1/4 input jack is? Do they both have those?

Last edited by mattinbeloit; 07-18-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:03 PM

I'm pretty sure that it's the DM3MD. Timmy plays D-35's, but before the DM3MD, Dave was playing an HD-28 (at least on the Luther College Tour) with the Lakewood as a backup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell