The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Internet Duet - A Place in Time

Bobc and I wrote a song together titled "A Place in Time" which you can listen to on my music page. Bob and I have been working on it for a while. Tonight I added a second guitar to Bob's vocals and guitar. This is the first published recording of us performing "together". We've actually never met.

Bob let me know what you think. I made 4 recordings and this one came out the best. How is the relative volume of the two tracks? If you think it is necessary, put up another recording of your track and I'll work on another 2nd track until I get it perfect. We can finalize it and start on another song if you want. I've got a pretty chord progression I want you to hear.

All comments are most welcome.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-11-2005, 10:36 PM

Not only do I like what you guys did, but I also like that you have captured the spirit of AGF.

Last edited by Bern; 09-12-2005 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern
Not only do I like what you guys did, but I also like that you have capture the spirit of AGF.
Thanks Bern.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-11-2005, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman
Bobc and I wrote a song together titled "A Place in Time" which you can listen to on my music page. Bob and I have been working on it for a while. Tonight I added a second guitar to Bob's vocals and guitar. This is the first published recording of us performing "together". We've actually never met.

Bob let me know what you think. I made 4 recordings and this one came out the best. How is the relative volume of the two tracks? If you think it is necessary, put up another recording of your track and I'll work on another 2nd track until I get it perfect. We can finalize it and start on another song if you want. I've got a pretty chord progression I want you to hear.

All comments are most welcome.
Wow... That was good...

I think if you clone your track and nudge it to the right or left about 5ms's, then move it all the way to the right, it would bring out the sterio effect more as well as bring your guitar part out more. You could just leave my parts right in the middle. Let me know if you think thats a good idea.

That is excelent man. Your guitar part was great!

It even made me sound good (and thats hard to do)...
Old 09-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc
Wow... That was good...

I think if you clone your track and nudge it to the right or left about 5ms's, then move it all the way to the right, it would bring out the sterio effect more as well as bring your guitar part out more. You could just leave my parts right in the middle. Let me know if you think thats a good idea.

That is excelent man. Your guitar part was great!

It even made me sound good (and thats hard to do)...
Thanks Bob!
Bob can you explain that 5ms stuff in English, LOL I'm new to recording!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-11-2005, 10:53 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks Bob!
Bob can you explain that 5ms stuff in English, LOL I'm new to recording!
Sorry. In your software you should have a feature that allows you to move your track to the left or right (nudge). If you do this, it will offset the tracks slightly (5ms (millasecons)). Once you do that you can balance one to the left and the other to the right. That will give you an awsome sterio effect.

It sounds like you have your track balanced all the way to the left. If you clone another track from that one, and nudge it, and balance it to the right, you will see what i mean.

Plus, it will bring your guitar part out more, and keeping me & my guitar in the middle will give the whole thing a 3D sound.

Play around with it and see what i mean.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern
Not only do I like what you guys did, but I also like that you have capture the spirit of AGF.
Yes... Thank you Bern...
Old 09-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry. In your software you should have a feature that allows you to move your track to the left or right (nudge). If you do this, it will offset the tracks slightly (5ms (millasecons)). Once you do that you can balance one to the left and the other to the right. That will give you an awsome sterio effect.

It sounds like you have your track balanced all the way to the left. If you clone another track from that one, and nudge it, and balance it to the right, you will see what i mean.

Plus, it will bring your guitar part out more, and keeping me & my guitar in the middle will give the whole thing a 3D sound.

Ok. gotcha. I'll give it a try this week.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-12-2005, 05:19 AM

cool
max
Old 09-12-2005, 10:09 AM

I like the song, but the whole thing is distorting on my speakers here at the office. I think the input volume may be a little high?

(When Bob sings "There is a place in time", I really breaks up).

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 09-12-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
I like the song, but the whole thing is distorting on my speakers here at the office. I think the input volume may be a little high?
No Chris, that's because your office installed a limiter on your speakers coz you're supposed to be working and not doing these things on their dime.

Oh wait, I do all this forum stuff here at work during the day so I can just concentrate on playing my guitars when I get home.
Hirade = E9;Tak = TC135SC

http://www.guitarace.net
Old 09-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Found the ms stuff finally in my software! I think I'm going to redo my track as it sounded kinda funny. There was a thread here about using a capo and Bagelsgirl mentioned that when a capo is used on the 5th fret and higher the tone changes for the worse. I agree with her. I'm going to try either tuning up the guitar a step and put a capo on the fourth fret or put the capo back on my bag of potato chips and try another approach.

My software doesn't seem to allow me to pan a track from the left to the right for some reason. I have to record two tracks, one with the left input of my tascam and one on the right. I downloaded the Cool Edit demo, maybe I'll try it out and see if it is more advanced. Or maybe I'll get a cable splitter and record two tracks at once and then shift each one. I'll see if GC has one. Radio Shack would probably have one also.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-13-2005, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Found the ms stuff finally in my software! I think I'm going to redo my track as it sounded kinda funny. There was a thread here about using a capo and Bagelsgirl mentioned that when a capo is used on the 5th fret and higher the tone changes for the worse. I agree with her. I'm going to try either tuning up the guitar a step and put a capo on the fourth fret or put the capo back on my bag of potato chips and try another approach.

My software doesn't seem to allow me to pan a track from the left to the right for some reason. I have to record two tracks, one with the left input of my tascam and one on the right. I downloaded the Cool Edit demo, maybe I'll try it out and see if it is more advanced. Or maybe I'll get a cable splitter and record two tracks at once and then shift each one. I'll see if GC has one. Radio Shack would probably have one also.
Send me your track and I can hook it up for you. Send it in mp3 format and email it to me or post it so i can download it.

I have re-recorded the song with my FIREBOX, using Adobe Audition 1.5. I added some effects as well.

Let me know if you like it.

A Place In Time
Old 09-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Send me your track and I can hook it up for you. Send it in mp3 format and email it to me or post it so i can download it.

I have re-recorded the song with my FIREBOX, using Adobe Audition 1.5. I added some effects as well.

Let me know if you like it.

A Place In Time
I like the quicker tempo and the reverb, but it comes out with too much bass on my end. Maybe you can just lower the the bass with the EQ without re-recording. I'll work on my track this week - I have some experimenting to do. I'll email it to you.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-13-2005, 10:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I like the quicker tempo and the reverb, but it comes out with too much bass on my end. Maybe you can just lower the the bass with the EQ without re-recording. I'll work on my track this week - I have some experimenting to do. I'll email it to you.
Hmmmm. Are you sure you don't have the bass turned up on your computer? I tested it through head phones and my speakers, and it sounds pritty crisp, and not bass'y at all.

Let me test it some more.

I love this stuff...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell