The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-06-2009, 07:53 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSPRIG View Post
He's amazing.

I think there's a tendency on internet forums (like this one) for certain people to judge - based on a lot of things other than just "is it good?"

A lot of jealousy comes into play (sadly), as well as resentment (that kid is better than me and I could be his father!)....etc

There's a lot of testosterone on these forums, remember that.

Could it be better if it was slowed down a little? Sure. But its still incredible.

The kid is absolutely genius. End of story.
I'm not one of those who gave a negatively comment on Joe's playing, but I thought I'd respond to this anyway

I think the issue here is that "is it good" itself is very subjective. I can't speak for the others but I personally have no feelings of jealousy (or a testosterone-induced bout of alpha male-dominance!) when watching players who are better than myself. They may inspire me to be better, or they may not. Their playing might move me, or not. Sometimes it falls in between, but that's about it.

Yes, he's 16 years old and a genius. And perhaps some of the negative comments were unwarranted or actually stemmed from jealousy. But maybe Joe's delivery in the video simply didn't connect to them, and there's nothing right/wrong about that
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 05-06-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC3FORME View Post
Well said Strummer.

Thanks! Lots of good comments on this thread but a few of them kind of irked me . OK, now back to my chord strumming.....
Where was I? G, C, D, Em.......
Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM

Location: Jackson, LA in body......North Carolina mountains in spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrat View Post
The guy is unbelievable.

Jack
Only read 2 pages of the posts, but jackstrat pretty much sums up what I was thinking. I'm thinking back on where I was when I was 16 (many, many, many moons ago) and I'm thinking his head is in a much better place than mine was. I wish him the best of luck............actually hope I can play with him someday!! THAT would be great!!

Somewhere around 200 strings attached to various shapes, sizes, and types of wood. Real P.I.T.A. when it comes time to tune!!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Humanist

As I've said recently, elsewhere on the AGF:

Fast and accurate does not equate to musical. I get about 30 seconds in, and I'm personally not interested...to the point of needing to turn it off. Quickly.

As Segovia said, "the world does not need another guitar player. The world needs musicians."

Highly competent guitar playing bores me to tears.

Musicianship (on nearly any instrument) always impresses me, and draws my attention.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 PM

I think he sounds fantastic especially if he just slowed down a bit and maybe put a little bit more emphasis on feel and a little bit less on speed.

I wish I could play like that.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerpickerguy View Post
Now, I am officially a jerk .
Don't be so hard on yourself. This post probably isn't what did it.

Notes, notes, notes, I think, makes it more difficult to catch the ear and keep the listener than at first it might seem. There is a reason that many of our leading musical icons hire the most able players to back them, and a reason that the most able players are not necessarily our leading musical icons. James Burton is a fantastic player, but Elvis gets the velvet poster crown.

Can it be that the most talented players are not in fact the most talented musicians? Sure seems that the entirety of popular music history says something like that. There may be something wrong with people who think this way......

but music is by, for, and through people, in the first place.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 AM

Good point Tad!......... I don't totally agree with your view Larry, but beautiful rendition of Waltzing Matilda you do. Nice playing! JB
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadmania View Post

Can it be that the most talented players are not in fact the most talented musicians?
Now, that question deserves its own thread...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 PM

I think the OP chose a very unfortunate example. It is indeed too fast. There are lots of videos that show off his true talent, in more moderately paced pieces. I like his groove and his sense of harmony, evident, e.g., in the bass line. On the whole his playing is a healthy contrast to all the new-agey
reverb-drowned droning stuff that seems to be in vogue among finger-stylists today (no names! - some of them may even be on this forum!!).

In his presentation of Blue Moon he says his version is partly inspired by Joe Pass. That's a very healthy influence.

But is there no way of amplifying without getting that
ubiquitous shallow stringy sound?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:51 AM

I find it surprising that there's this much finger-pointing and dismissal of others' opinions in this thread.

I didn't care for it, but apparently that makes me "negative" and "maybe jealous".

So here's the question...if I don't like the same kind of art, food, fashion, whatever as you, does that make me negative or jealous?

Grow up folks.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
I find it surprising that there's this much finger-pointing and dismissal of others' opinions in this thread.

I didn't care for it, but apparently that makes me "negative" and "maybe jealous".

So here's the question...if I don't like the same kind of art, food, fashion, whatever as you, does that make me negative or jealous?

Grow up folks.
Chris, after all it's a guitar forum...what else would you expect ? If someone is totally in love with some artist and someone else doesn't not share his or her sentiments, negativity and jealousy are brought up to defend his or her preference. It's a waste of energy, IMO.
Oh, to answer your question, it doesn't make you negative or jealous. Just think of how boring life would be if we all would like the same thing.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:02 AM

Yeah, I agree. Diversity of opinion makes the world go 'round.

But, you'd think people could "be nice" and not resort to name-calling

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 05-08-2009, 04:53 AM

Another thing about folks who play proficiently and professionally, you won't generally hear them doing anything but embracing different styles, players, and people. The kind of "better than" talk so common in forums, while not always improper, is more the way of those who do not have confidence in their playing or, worse, who play for some other reason than to make music.

The young man in the video has some cool chops, and sounds like he "gets" the music. It must be an absolute blast to play that well. Let's do our part and try to be more "musical" and proficient at embracing the music around us, and the people making it in good spirit. And let's leave the put-downs and competition behind us. There's room for everyone.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpicker View Post
EXACTLY my sentiments, starting about 15 seconds into the clip. It's actually a pretty nice composition with some original twists and turns, but who can enjoy them when it's so obviously about "look how fast I can play?" It's basically the same issue I have with guys like Steve Vai - nice chops, but who cares? (Well, obviously some do, just not I.)

But I'd bet he'll grow into it and slow it down. The main thing I heard under all the antic fireworks was a fingerstyle composer.

"Obviously"?

I'm pretty sure it's all about music to this young man, and that he executes these ridiculously fast passages simply because he hears them. One may be moved by this or not, but I've made a rule for myself of never
dictating the intentions of others. It's unscentific, to put it mildly.

Last edited by Piotr; 05-25-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Give the kid his due. I listened to several of his video clips and he uniformly plays cleanly and with impeccable rhythm. He can play blazingly fast but also slower with feeling. He has quite a future in the guitar world.

Spot on Derek!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell