The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-21-2014, 03:51 PM

Default Taking Too Much Wattage to a Gig: Is it a Sin?

I've finally found some local places to gig and when staking then out and watching other performers play I can see that not much wattage is needed to cover the room, especially since the gigs are essentially background music.

Most players are using small amps that appear to be 50W or lower and have them either on the floor or slightly raised. There probably is room for the Soloamp but I'm wondering if bringing a gun to a knife fight would look pretentious (!).

I've tried the Lounbox Mini and the AC-33 at stores but do think the sound from the Soloamp is better. Is there a sensible reason to use a small amp if there is room for a larger one or should sound quality be the main consideration? I'm stingy with money and need some convincing to be able to pull the trigger.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 12-21-2014, 04:27 PM

Just bring the SoloAmp. It's really just a differently designed, tall, and skinny combo amp, anyway. It's not like you're showing up with a full PA system for that small room. I can't imagine the Fishman raising any eyebrows.

Louis
Old 12-21-2014, 04:43 PM

There are other amplifier options that are stand mountable for larger gigs that will not break the piggy bank. One of them is the Carvin AG200. At the weight of 26 pounds, you will not have to be a bodybuilder to tote it around. You can pick up a matching 200AGE extension speaker for even more coverage:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/AG200

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/200AGE

Old 12-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
…Most players are using small amps that appear to be 50W or lower and have them either on the floor or slightly raised. There probably is room for the Soloamp but I'm wondering if bringing a gun to a knife fight would look pretentious (!).
Hi lpa
My philosophy is you can throttle back too-much-power, but when you over drive too little power you get distortion, and brittle buzz-saw trebles.

Your Soloamp would work better than a simple acoustic amp...even an AER or UltraSound with 8" coaxial speakers (or a high frequency driver) if the room is noisy. The Soloamp is really just a bigger acoustic amp. And it can hit it's limits too.

The key is to learn your system and use it wisely.

This is why I own acoustic amps and a medium sized PA. When the room is too large for just an acoustic amp, I add the PA (amps become stage monitors).

My PA powered mixer can unleash 1600 watts into 4 ohms when bridged to mono. My cabinets are Community (great speakers) 12" two way (with horn) and they put out quality sound at high volumes when proper power is added. The PA system's 1600 watts will cover a room with 250 people in it, or an outdoor wedding. I prefer 12" woofers to 15" which sound muddy.

If my PA is too small for the gig, I'm counting on the venue to have a house system that will handle it.

Small acoustic amps with less than 8" speakers do not put out enough sound or fidelity in noisy situations. If you are playing and singing through an amp (using it for a small PA) an 8" woofer and a high frequency driver reproduce both human voices and acoustic guitars well.

So the Soloamp raises the bar one notch higher.

I've heard Soloamps pushed too hard too, and they are no more pleasant when over driven than anything else. That's why our PA is old school 12" two way (with horns) to accommodate keys, bass, guitars, singers etc.

If you don't act pretentious, it won't be perceived as such.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-21-2014, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the advice, all. I think I'll stick with the SA220 for now and just give it a shot.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 12-21-2014, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

SoloAmp all the way. Headroom is our friend. Plus, the small footprint of the SoloAmp, combined with its "non-amplifier" appearance, means that no one in the audience will look twice at it.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 12-21-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:32 PM

If the footprint is not too large, use it. Why spend the money if you're already happy ? Doesn't matter how many watts it's capable of putting out, it's all about how many you're making it put out.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
If the footprint is not too large, use it. Why spend the money if you're already happy ? Doesn't matter how many watts it's capable of putting out, it's all about how many you're making it put out.
I don't think footprint is an issue with the SA220.

Steve
Old 12-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Not a sin imho dude!

I have 4 Fishmans: 1 LB mini, 1 LB artist and 2 LB performers and use whichever combo works best for the gig. However, I play mostly the same venues in rotation and really enjoy, if room permits, the the two Performers in tandem because even tho they crank 180 watts a piece, I set the gains at 10' o'clock so I can crank the masters to 12 or 1 and get a super phat & clear sound.
Add just a touch of chorus to get an angelic wall of sound that disperses nicely outside for most gigs. Love standin' in the center and havin' the oomph to control and add a variety of dynamics from 0 to 11 a la Spinal Tap!

Old 12-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Sound quality is most important, along with whatever unit you are most comfortable using... not much difference in footprint between the SA220 and an acoustic amplifier...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-27-2014, 03:59 PM

I use a Beranger pmp 16805 powered mixer. for everything from small rooms to medium size. all the bands instruments are plugged in to it and we get a great sound even bass and distorted leads. easer to control the sound and mix. now when the drummer moves from a electric kit to a acoustic kit we need more sound especially on the bass end..
Old 12-28-2014, 01:57 AM
Charter Member

The SA 220 works for us in small to medium venues we play. I don think there's many better options for room filling sound from a small foot print without blasting the audience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification