The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
I'll take Eddie Van Halen against Ralph Machio any day anywhere!
Most definitely, but I'd prefer to see Ralph pretending to play hot guitar licks as opposed to pretending that he can beat someone in a karate competition...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPB2qbxuiLM
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Guitar Gourmet

It may have ended when Don Felder left the Eagles...

But seriously, I've been in enough head-cutting situations. I think the definition as stated above is a little extreme in its scope and finality. Back in the '70s everyone seemed to play guitar, many were trying to be lead guitarists, and most of those were trying to be the best lead guitarist. Consequently, everyone both tried very hard both to develop his chops and to find a venue to show them off in. There were lot's of those situations back then, from guest appearances to high school and college jams to band auditions to every day with two-lead-guitar bands. You never really knew what to expect of the spirit of these little competitions until you were in the middle of one. They could range from gentlemanly, friendly little duals where you pushed each other to each others' best and the stakes were no more than a friendly raised eyebrow when you pulled out something cool to some pretty cut-throat attempts to embarrass. I've enjoyed the former and survived the latter in various conditions. Basically, it came down to the character of the participants - nice people encouraged and enjoyed, nasty, sneaky people tried to beat and humiliate, very much like marksmanship competitions. Talk about a vehicle to sharpen you skills! I, for one, enjoyed and participated in friendly, respectful head-cutting as a social and learning experience first and foremost. I can honestly admit that I both wanted to be the best and didn't always get my wish.

But let me show you an even better way from an old post of mine, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-27-2013, 04:35 PM

I guess the rules were as follows.they each play passages until one of the participants could not play what the other guitarist played.Excuses and alibis were not tolerated and the loser could be in for some serious ego damage!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:37 PM

I know someone who made a living playing bass in Nashville years ago and allegedly Jimmy Bryant came to town and stopped in at Roberts Western wear to jam with them. Jimmy had a Cadillac and on the side of it, I think it said, " The fastest Telecaster in the west or something like that.

Anyway he was very good and fast but he picked a night when Hank Garland was there. Hank was known for great country licks but was also a great Jazz player and according to my friend, Hank gave Jimmy a guitar lesson that night.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 PM

People stopped inviting me to these sessions after I got really solid on "Stairway to Heaven"
Old 03-27-2013, 06:04 PM

Cuttin' Heads is a great and wonderful tradition. It's not the same as the guy at the jam who thinks he's hot stuff. It was about BANDS in the greatest blues traditions. Where you had the best players going and a frontman/MC. On the order of Muddy. Earl. Guys like that. The audience understood the rules and were into it! They would boo you off the stage if you didn't belong. Think apollo theatre. Not coffee house.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 AM

Two guys having way too much fun taking turns.

I always grin when Chet quips "Don't make me look bad now! Don't make me look bad!"

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Cuttin' Heads is a great and wonderful tradition. It's not the same as the guy at the jam who thinks he's hot stuff. It was about BANDS in the greatest blues traditions. Where you had the best players going and a frontman/MC. On the order of Muddy. Earl. Guys like that. The audience understood the rules and were into it! They would boo you off the stage if you didn't belong. Think apollo theatre. Not coffee house.
This!

It's a jazz tradition too, and it could get heated...but it was always about pushing onesself further than before...and if somebody showed you up, you got in the shed and waited for next time.

Good players push each other to be better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
Two guys having way too much fun taking turns.

I always grin when Chet quips "Don't make me look bad now! Don't make me look bad!"
You wanna see Chet having fun with a buddy? In his prime? The best moment is at about 1:12 when Chet does some wicked sweep picking, and you can hear Jerry, barely off mic, loose his mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic