The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-15-2014, 06:12 PM

Default Fishman SA220 static problem, help!

I have a gig Saturday, and set up my SA220 for practice after work. When I turned it on I got major static coming from it. I thought it was one of my cords, but after checking them, I unplugged all the inputs, and still got the static. I checked all the gain, tone, reverb, controls etc.
Didn't make a difference. The only thing that stopped it was the mute button. Where do I go from here?
Old 07-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

2 things. First, I don't know what kind of pickup you use, but, if it has a battery, check it.

Second, call Fishman. They have great customer service.

Steve
Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 PM

I did send Fishman an e-mail. Haven't heard yet.
My Taylor has the older Fishman system, but that's not the problem. The SA220 was making the static noise with nothing plugged into the inputs.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 PM

You might CALL them. It is kind of urgent, right?

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 07-16-2014, 02:59 AM

Yes, it is urgent. I will try to call them today. I didn't discover the problem until 7 pm eastern last night, and don't know what hours their customer service dept. operates.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 AM

Since you got the noise with inputs unplugged the problem is in the amp, not the pickup or battery.
What to try:
1. Turn the volume all the way down. Do you still get the noise?
2. Does it have a spring reverb unit in the cabinet? If so check for loose connections at the reverb tank and amp.
3. Try moving the controls and see if the static goes away or gets worse.
4. If the controls do not affect the static, the problem is either in the power amp section or just before it, likely a failed component. If the controls affect the static, it is probably a dirty control and you can clean the control with De-Oxit. You have to take the amp out of the case and inject the cleaner into the body of the control through any opening you can find, then work the control back and forth 30 times. As a quick fix you can try working the controls back and forth a bunch of times and this may clear it up and allow you to play your gig.
Too bad you are 5 hours away from me or I could repair it.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 07-16-2014, 06:22 AM

I believe Fishman's Customer Service is open from 9 am - 5 pm, Mon-Fri, East Coast time but with your luck, they're probably closed for vacation this week.

If so, you could always go to your local 'big box' store, buy another one, use it for your gig and then return it the next day. Just tell 'em you "changed your mind". Wouldn't be the first time that's happened - but then you didn't get that idea from ME...
Old 07-16-2014, 07:55 AM

I did speak to Frank in customer support at Fishman this morning who was super helpful.
As the controls don't affect the static, but the mute button kills it, the problem is in the front panel. He sent me instructions for removing the front panel to return to Fishman to repair. Estimate is about $100 less than a local repair shop. I will be without it for a couple weeks, so my options are to haul my big old p.a. and cabinets that I still have from my band days to the gig, or contact GC about renting an SA220 for the week.
Thanks for your responses here, too. I have found a lot of good information and suggestions on this forum.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamfurnace View Post
I did speak to Frank in customer support at Fishman this morning who was super helpful.
As the controls don't affect the static, but the mute button kills it, the problem is in the front panel. He sent me instructions for removing the front panel to return to Fishman to repair. Estimate is about $100 less than a local repair shop. I will be without it for a couple weeks, so my options are to haul my big old p.a. and cabinets that I still have from my band days to the gig, or contact GC about renting an SA220 for the week.
Thanks for your responses here, too. I have found a lot of good information and suggestions on this forum.
Perhaps you could ask Frank if he would be so kind as to send you a replacement front panel to use for your gig, since the inmates are running the asylum at Fishman this week (Summer NAMM Show in Nashville)?

Just a thought - never hurts to ask - or beg...
Old 07-16-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamfurnace View Post
I had the exact same issue with my Soloamp. They didn't repair the front and return it to me, just replaced it with another they had likely repaired. It took a day or so more than the two shipping times.
that's me on guitar
Old 07-16-2014, 02:05 PM

I also had the same exact problem and my SA is sitting in my sound room just waiting to send it back for repairs. When I had the BOSE L1 original system it too had to be shipped back for repairs. Some of these proprietary systems like FISHMAN and BOSE that require a return to the factory are extremely inconvenient when they break down. Some of our old gear just never failed - Peavey power amps and cabs and Peavey mixers will outlive all of us. Just can't lug them around anymore.

I use an AER Compact 60 and/or Roland AC90 and/or QSC K8s now. If any one part fails, everything else is there as backup.
davidc
Old 07-16-2014, 08:59 PM

Before you send the front panel in for repair, open it up and look for obvious things:
Loose connectors, ground wires that are secured to the chassis with a lug and a screw and the screw is loose, IC's mounted in sockets that are not pushed down all the way (called chip creep, they work their way out of the socket), and lastly examine the solder joints on the board. Look for a dark ring in the solder pad around the component lead. If you find any of these and have a soldering iron (not a gun) re-solder them.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 07-17-2014, 12:30 PM

Well, the good news is I fired up my old Yamaha EMX860 p.a. head that has been sitting for 5 years, and plugged it into my old Carvin 832 speaker cabinet, and everything works OK as a substitute for my gig this Saturday. I couldn't see anything obvious wrong with the front panel on the SA220, so I mailed it back to Fishman today. I should get it (or a replacement?) back in a week or so.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM

Wow - I had this exact same problem right before a gig back in March and even posted about it here. But for me, the mute didn't affect the problem. It did get louder or quieter with the master volume. I emailed Fishman, and they suggested that it was a dirty pot or connector somewhere. The problem just disappeared 2 days later, so I never found out what was really causing the problem.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 PM

I have this same issue on my SA220. I almost always "expand" the inputs with a small mixer. I plug the mixer into the Aux and mute the rest of it. I was really disappointed because it has been lightly used (a couple of times a year) and I take good care of my equipment. When paying that much for a unit, I feel like there shouldn't be this many people who are so familiar with the issue. I love the sound & features and am glad I have my mixer as a work-around.
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification