The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-15-2017, 03:55 PM

Default Which practice amp to use with loop pedal

Hi All,
I am looking for a practice amp for 'bedroom use' to use with both my acoustic and electric guitars. I like the idea of an amp with built in effects and the ability to play music through to jam along to.

Ultimately I would like to purchase a loop pedal.....

I have a couple of questions… if I want to use a looper and change the tones, using the amps built in effects, without changing the tone all of the loops (I.e one tone for one loop and then record then change tone and then record a second loop etc etc layering different parts in different tones) Do I need an amp with an effects loop and place the looper in to achieve this result?

Given the above what amp worth you recommend circa £150-£200?
Thanks in advance
Chris
Old 11-15-2017, 04:01 PM

I have a Roland Micro Cube. Gets louder than you will ever want in a bedroom, uses batteries for outside use and is light and portable. Sounds good too.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:08 PM

I'm a Fender and Marshall man myself, however I've heard great things about this product.It does everything, Electric, Acoustic, Bass, Tuner, effects incl looping, headphone socket, usb, etc.

I don't know how they do it at the price.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peavey-Mode.../dp/B00DM4PPCO

The instruction manual must be pretty thick judging by the high quantity of tutorials on YouTube...
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 11-15-2017, 05:10 PM

Can you use an 'electric guitar' amp with an acoustic? or do you have to use an acoustic amp with the acoustic?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesidae View Post
Can you use an 'electric guitar' amp with an acoustic? or do you have to use an acoustic amp with the acoustic?
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 11-15-2017, 07:04 PM

Yes, you can use an acoustic amp for an electric guitar but no the other way around. I play an archtop and my Fender Strat through my acoustic amps and it sounds great. It has a humbucker only. I use pedals to get overdrive or other effects I want.
Of course you would have to get the right acoustic amp. Some would not play well with electric guitars and some would. I Fishman Loudbox 100 works great with my electrics as does my Shertler David Deluxe. Not sure about others.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 11-15-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesidae View Post
Sure, its only a little practice amp so you can run a pedal thru it for a bass line or percussion line or what have you. Its not like your using it to play at the Garden or something. Any little amp with battery capable is nice too to use outside in nice weather. Save the cash for a nice Bose rig when you are out playing for keeps.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:11 PM

Peavey Vypyr amps in conjunction with Sanpera I pedal would be perfect for you. Headphone jack, 40 second looper with the Sanpera pedal, built in effects, modeling that is very good, and the amp is designed for playing electric, and/or acoustic, and/or bass. I had the 40 watt 12" model and it was great. I have since put together a $2k pedal board that I run through a tube amp so I sold it, but it was an excellent amp that can acclimate you to effects pedals and has a looper built in. The expression pedal was quite good as well.

Peavey has a smaller 8" model which should suit your needs well.

If you get a standalone looper, the best place to put it is at the end of your effects chain, as to not have the loop sound colored by the other effects. With the Peavey Vypyr amps, there's no need to worry about that.

I have a TC Ditto, and very rarely find myself needing more than 30 seconds of loop time, let alone 5 minutes.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:54 PM

Default Roland AC 33

The Roland AC 33 sounds like the ticket for you. Great little acoustic amp with mic input and built in Looper. Really nice little amp for the price.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:09 AM

The Roland Cube Lite has a built-in looper. For a stand alone pedal I recommend the TC Electronics 'Ditto'.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all your help guys

I realise an electric guitar amp may not be ideal for the acoustic but as I'm a beginner I do feel that at the moment an amp for general use is probably the best for me.

I really like the ideal of fender mustang, Roland cube or perhaps a used Yamaha thr10. Then getting a loop pedal. The bit I'm not clear about is that if I put the guitar into the looper pedal then put the pedal into the amp record some stuff. If I later changed the tone on the amp would all the loops playing change tone too? If so can I avoid this by putting the looper pedal into an effects loop? If so what cheaper amps have this effects loop?

It might be that the above is not an issue and I'm barking up the wrong tree with this whole effects loop idea- I would appreciate any thoughts and advice
Old 11-17-2017, 02:37 PM

The looper is a playback/passive effect. Your recorded loop, once recorded, will playback unaltered as long as the looper is the last part of your signal chain before going to the amp. If you have effects after the looper and before the amp, then the sound of the recorded loop will be changed by the effects.

I hope that helps.

FWIW, I love my THR5; great amp with good effects onboard.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christof78 View Post
Hi All,
I am looking for a practice amp for 'bedroom use' to use with both my acoustic and electric guitars. I like the idea of an amp with built in effects and the ability to play music through to jam along to.
Grab a Boss Katana 50. The list price is £189.00/$219 USD.

It is amazing guitar amp for both electric and acoustics.

Check it out
https://www.andertons.co.uk/ProductD...&storeId=10151
Old 11-18-2017, 10:18 AM

I'd like to try the Boss Katana, it gets great reviews. How and ever, I get a lot of use out of my Roland Cube RX, for acoustic, electric and even a bit of bass in an acoustic jam setting. Five mighty watts of transistor power! Boss and Roland are, of course, the same company.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:16 PM

I just saw John leventhal in concert and he
Played his collings acoustic through a full blown
Electric Fender amp.. sounded great..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification