The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-27-2016, 09:30 AM

Default First impressions of Baggs "Lyric" Pickup.

Fantastic! Very natural and organic sounding. I see why people say to not put it in a lower quality guitar. It really doesn't "color" the tone of the instrument very much, it just makes your guitar louder. It's very accurate. It picks up string squeaks etc. But for me that's something I can live with. My 000-17SM is lightly built and quite resonant so I need to be careful of feedback, but I can get a useable volume out of it without too much problem. All in all I really like it!

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 AM

I love my Lyric!

A few months ago I put one in my 1976 Guild D-55.
It sounds like a fine condenser mic. ... probably because that's what it is.

Many people dislike the Lyric saying, "it lacks bass".
It doesn't.
It's just that nearly every other PU has the artificial bass boost that everyone has become accustomed to.

Clearly many like artificially-boosted bass.
I prefer accuracy.
To each their own.

I'm considering putting a Lyric in my 1977 Guild F-212XL.

Last edited by Tico; 07-27-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Guest 728

I put ta Lyric in my LG2 American Eagle, and it's a great match. It's so nice to hear my guitar through a microphone instead of a piezoelectric crystal.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I have Lyric's in several guitars. For active pickups they are my favorite. Congrats!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have a Lyric in an all-mahogany Alvarez 00 (Actually, the MPA66SHB - billed as a parlor but really closer to a 00 in size) and I also like it in this guitar.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-27-2016, 11:04 AM

+1 ... I have the "Lyric" in both of my Eastman acoustics and I wish I had put it in my Taylor and Martin instead of the Fishman Matrix Infinity. For solo instrumental, or singer accompaniment it provides superb natural acoustic tone. I would probably not choose it for a situation where my guitar was competing with other instruments, however.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 07-27-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:23 AM

The Lyric definitely is a great pickup if you are a solo performer or if you are in intimate settings. It actually can work in a very loud band setting but it just lacks bass. I think it's a great option for some but it's definitely not the most versatile pickup out there.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:49 AM

I purchased and installed the Lyric this week. I won't be keeping it. While it is a good mic system, I don't think it is a good fit for my guitar. The electronics in the preamp put some serious compression on the low frequencies, which provides good feedback protection. But, it does mute the bass response one might expect to hear. I think there is some truth to the argument that the amplified tone matches the actual tone. My guitar is naturally bassy, but the mid range was all I could hear from the Lyric. I think in a different guitar, or for someone with different tastes, it can be a great option. Unfortunately, I play a lot of open mics, where I need to plug and go. So, I like to make sure that my pickups sound good (useable) using a flat reference PA setting on my Line 6. This one did not. If I were only playing through my own equipment, I would not have hesitated to keep it and EQ it where I expected it to be.

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-27-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

I've had a Lyric in two guitars, a 2012 Martin D-18 and a 2013 Taylor 528 First Edition, and I didn't like its thin bass and prevalent midrange tone. I bought an L.R. Baggs Venue DI to try to tame the beast but, although it helped some, it still left that very noticeable midrange hollow brashness. The Lyric is long gone and I'll take a well-setup SBT-based system over the Lyric any day of the week! Perhaps, the Lyric fares better in smaller guitars (maybe, don't know)? If and when a Lyric Version 2 is released, I may try it as long as I can return it if it doesn't sound good.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-27-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:58 PM

Be glad that it is doing well for you. Very natural acoustic time. I finally decided to remove mine however because it took too much EQ mastery to deal with the excessive lower mids. I wish it did work for me. Consider yourself one of the fortunate ones.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification