The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

View Poll Results: Do you find it difficult to motivate yourself to play guitar ?
Yes, often 7 10.77%
Yes, sometimes 18 27.69%
Never 40 61.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2015, 08:21 PM

people have to motivate me to do something other than play guitar!!
Old 03-18-2015, 11:14 AM

In my opinion, if someone needs outside motivation to play the guitar, they will never be very good at it. I believe that possibly the main difference between an OK player and a good-great player is desire & self motivation.

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 03-19-2015, 04:31 PM

Generally speaking, humans are lazy by nature. Imho, it is mostly the culture we have inherited that motivates us. Once that culture is gone, that motivation will cease to exist.

(There will always be exceptions, though.)

I started practicing several years ago, 3-5 times a week @ 30-45 mins. a pop. That does not, and did not cut it. No pain, no gain. The disciplined rule the world, not the undisciplined.

I had to face the reality that it takes consistent disciplined practice to learn the guitar. I kind of chuckle when I pass by all this, "Whee!! We Make Guitar Playing EASY" books. Guitar playing ain't that easy. period. It's work.

So I put myself on a daily routine and I have made some progress, learned and recorded (18) songs and am now working on Pachelbel's Canon, the Lord willing. It's going to be a challenge.

I am not musically inclined, but am determined to make some progress.

A well set up, good sounding guitar does help, too.
Pianos are for those who can't play a guitar.
(961) consecutive days of self-pace practice. Now at minimum 75 mins/day.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:37 PM

You're either motivated, or you're not. A good app to track practice and progress would be fun. But, I never met a guitar I couldn't pick up.

I have found over the years that it's good to always be doing new things. That's why I don't play out. Others thrive on playing out. It's whatever makes you happy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write