The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Default getting songs to a performance level before a recording session

I've only recorded once before, maybe twice. Not quite there yet, but want to go through the process. Brother in law has a ton of equipment and is a sound guy. So he has fun recording, I play.

I'm getting closer to being able to play some songs at a performance level, but I've a little distance to go. I chose about 8 or 9 songs to focus on over the last few weeks. Solo fingerstyle in a variety of tunings.

What have you done in the past to get a selection of songs to that level of performance that is closer to satisfying. Perhaps doing this session is simply one of the steps to get there.

Your thoughts,

Stuart
Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
...What have you done in the past to get a selection of songs to that level of performance that is closer to satisfying.
hi Stuart...
  • I've practiced till I can play them in my sleep
  • I've gone to coffee houses and played them live for others
  • Played them at our guitar society for a room full of guitarists
  • I've set a recorder in front of me and pulled one-shot recordings without stopping

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Well if I had done all of those things, I'd probably record the songs while standing on my head.

But that ain't going to happen.

I guess you are where you are in terms of practice, and the exercise becomes - how do you handle yourself when the mic is switched on. I think it will be a good exercise, even if I don't get through the songs without multiple flaws.

One day I'll be there Larry!

Stuart
Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
Well if I had done all of those things, I'd probably record the songs while standing on my head.

But that ain't going to happen.

I guess you are where you are in terms of practice, and the exercise becomes - how do you handle yourself when the mic is switched on. I think it will be a good exercise, even if I don't get through the songs without multiple flaws.

One day I'll be there Larry!

Stuart
Hi Stuart...

I owned/operated a small studio for 8 years.

To overcome nervousness when the light goes on, I just hit "Record" one night and recorded for over an hour. When I made a mistake, I just counted it in again and went another round.

By the time I'd done that for an hour, the nervous was definitely gone.

By the time the hour was over, I was playing at the same relaxed level I do in the living room.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Unless your brother-in-law lives far, far away just work up one or two songs for recording. Then a couple of more at a later date.
BTW, which guitar is your favorite to play?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 AM

I find that the moment I hit record my playing instantly deteriorates by 25%. I get tense where I wasn't tense before, lines and phrases I thought I knew disappear, timing goes, notes are fluffed, my plectrum slips around in my fingers or my thumb-pick gets caught in the strings, the dog (who has been asleep all day) starts scratching at the door (usually about three quarters of the way through the first decent take of the session), the phone rings (half way through the second acceptable take), the postman rings the bell....

And all of this isn't even in a studio - just me and my little Tascam four track.

The only solution is to practice and practice so that even with the 25% deterioration the result is still okay.

I've been working on one tune for 20 days now (see the 40 day challenge thread). I thought I was there with a working version of it, and figured the halfway mark would be a good time to record a version. Last night, despite about twenty attempts, I couldn't get all the way through without making loads of mistakes. So for me, it's back to the drawing board for way more work.

Kind regards
Derek

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • Manouche 'Moreno' Modele Jazz
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
  • Michael Messer Lightning
Old 04-26-2013, 07:52 AM

Practice practice practice. I know in this day of digital recording you can always punch in and edit out mistakes, but my personal philisophy is you shouldn't set foot into a recording studio until you can play your songs at performance level.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 AM

Lucky you to have a family member who does recording !

Quick tips:
- if click tracks are to be used, practice every song with a metronome
- regardless, practice with a metronome. Easy to find free on line.
- try to record the hardest song first. If it doesn't work laugh it off and get back to it much later
- if you get through one on the first take don't take it for granted. Go back and listen to it again, or do another complete take. I had the tendency to say "that was good enough let's move on" and regretted it later
- if you have more than one guitar bring a couple. Sometimes they sound differently in a strange new environment such as a recording room
- be ready to spend ALOT of time at this. It should take about an hour per song to get from playing to producing the final track. Bring a lunch.

Would be nice if you could share your work once recorded in this forum. All the best to you.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Stuart...

I owned/operated a small studio for 8 years.

To overcome nervousness when the light goes on, I just hit "Record" one night and recorded for over an hour. When I made a mistake, I just counted it in again and went another round.

By the time I'd done that for an hour, the nervous was definitely gone.

By the time the hour was over, I was playing at the same relaxed level I do in the living room.

Sounds like good advice Larry!

Stuart
Old 04-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Unless your brother-in-law lives far, far away just work up one or two songs for recording. Then a couple of more at a later date.
BTW, which guitar is your favorite to play?
Bit of a ways. 45 min - unless we go to his country home, then 3.5 hrs.

I had focused on about 8 songs, but it proved to be a bit much. I got a few good segments, and almost one song that I might be satisfied with, for this go, but many errors in the other songs.

I was getting my legs as we progressed, although I was a little disappointed with a few songs that I can generally play through.

Stuart
Old 04-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delb0y View Post
I find that the moment I hit record my playing instantly deteriorates by 25%. I get tense where I wasn't tense before, lines and phrases I thought I knew disappear, timing goes, notes are fluffed, my plectrum slips around in my fingers or my thumb-pick gets caught in the strings, the dog (who has been asleep all day) starts scratching at the door (usually about three quarters of the way through the first decent take of the session), the phone rings (half way through the second acceptable take), the postman rings the bell....

And all of this isn't even in a studio - just me and my little Tascam four track.

The only solution is to practice and practice so that even with the 25% deterioration the result is still okay.

I've been working on one tune for 20 days now (see the 40 day challenge thread). I thought I was there with a working version of it, and figured the halfway mark would be a good time to record a version. Last night, despite about twenty attempts, I couldn't get all the way through without making loads of mistakes. So for me, it's back to the drawing board for way more work.

Kind regards
Derek
thanks for the feedback Derek, it sounds like we both know what it feels like to - not quite get there - when the light turns on, though thankfully, I'm getting closer.

I think it has more to do with being 65% towards my 10,000 hours of practice time than anything else.

Stuart
Old 04-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHung View Post
Practice practice practice. I know in this day of digital recording you can always punch in and edit out mistakes, but my personal philisophy is you shouldn't set foot into a recording studio until you can play your songs at performance level.
Appreciate the response. I kind of feel like the recording studio should be used to motivate and teach as part of the practice regiment. And I think it has and will continue to motivate me.

It was fun - and challenging!

Stuart
Old 04-27-2013, 05:01 PM

Recording is a bit like playing live in front of a crowd. The more often you do it, the less it affects you and the more relaxed you can stay/play.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

It turned out to be a mental challenge for sure. My mind kept saying, ya but what if I focus on something entirely different.

I went through my eight songs, some with better success than others, about 3 or 4 attemps for each song. Got some good sections of songs recorded, but did not make it through any individual song without at least a couple of mistakes, and didn't own the strings on either left or right hand the way I can in a normal practice session.

Great exercise if a little frustrating.

Stuart

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write