The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Default Do you have a fear of recording yourself?

I do. Or did. I'd bet that for most of us, especially we newbs, recording ourselves playing is the surest way to induce stupid mistakes and senseless errors. But turn the mic off, and it's all good again.

What I've started doing is just leaving the mic on all the time if I'm interested in recording something. If I'm trying to get a song down on the hard drive, I don't do the whole "press the record button and do a take" thing. I just leave it running. I record the practices, I record the takes, everything. So it's not a big deal that I'm recording myself, because I'm always recording myself. It's just drops into the background. When I get a take that I like, I go back and grab that section of sound in Audacity and export it.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM

red light fever, they call it. (whoever "they" are) Glad you found a way around it!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
I do. Or did. I'd bet that for most of us, especially we newbs, recording ourselves playing is the surest way to induce stupid mistakes and senseless errors. But turn the mic off, and it's all good again.
YES...... I bought a new mic last week expressly for that purpose and I sucked big time during the experiment.

2015 Epi B.B. King Lucille
Life is Good!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 PM

LOL, if you think that is a problem just wait until you start recording yourself singing!

Tom
Old 04-06-2013, 09:27 PM

I've heard myself recorded, and I don't think it's fear so much as common sense. "Aw, now why did I play that?"

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM

I'm still freaked about hearing myself amplified! I can listen to myself recorded, as long as I pretend it isn't me...
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Guest 33123

It varies. Sometimes I'm totally relaxed, sometimes I'm totally stressed. As a consequence, some songs were 1 take http://soundcloud.com/tripleohdoug/policy-blues and some were 40 takes http://soundcloud.com/tripleohdoug/make-believe-stunt !!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 AM

Used to have a fear, but it didn't last long at all. My big problem these days is that I've taken to using the Zoom multi-track feature alot, and I'm seeing how bad my sense of time really is when I start creating separate parts that work together. I'll have a nice, clean scratch track to work with, then go and try to lay down a basic guitar or mando chording, and gads, I'm dropping half measures left and right. It's hard to unlearn a bad part once you've done it enough the wrong way.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM

Leaving the recorder running is a great idea. Many artists I know do this. They save all that they play and then they archive the good stuff.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 AM

I think it's just something that you get better at with practice. I know a lot of musicians that are apprehensive about recording and get into all kinds of head games about having to have preparatory rituals and various weird fetishes arranged in just the right way in order to do it, or convince themelves that they don't like it because it's artificial and dishonest. I have come to believe that all of that stuff is bogus and self defeating and you just have to do it to get better at it.

Sometimes I wish I had a tiny recorder built into a guitar that would turn on automatically when the guitar was played, with a little touch screen interface so that when you played something cool but aren't quite sure what it was or can't remember it well enough to write it down, that you could slide the track back, select the area based on a waveform image and a time scale, and send it to some speakers over a wireless connection, or copy and store the file or part of the file.

I have experimented with recording my noodling over an idea for a while and picking out the best parts, but it can take a lot of time to critically listen, map out what is there, and then edit it together. After about 2 complete listens, my opinions can disappear into a haze. So I usually wait until an idea is developed enough that I just need to determine the order of the different sections, and then I'll try it a few ways. Either it will come together, or I'll stop after I have at least played each section well enough for the demo. At least that way the raw material is there to build it section by section if not use a complete or mostly complete single take.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:14 AM

Wink

LOL! My problem is not the recording mind set...it's getting the darn machine set up and figuring out how to use it!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
LOL! My problem is not the recording mind set...it's getting the darn machine set up and figuring out how to use it!
Thank you��
I'm lost with this stuff.....
I'm thinking off getting a voice recorder just as a basic recording tool as others I've heard have recommended them?
Any thoughts?

Dan
Old 04-14-2013, 02:56 AM

Devendra Banhart used to call peoples answering machines and sing his new ideas. You know "hey fred please dont erase this, it's my new hit"...

Yeah recording is a can of worms. I think you just need a zoom or sony and start recording everything like a diary.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:22 AM

When I record, all I can hear on playback is my mistakes. Plus, IMHO, spontaneity, variation and surprise count for a lot among the ranks of amateur players like me, and a recording has the nasty habit of sounding exactly the same every time you hear it!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

"That red light? It means THINK IMMORTAL!!!"

Me? Nah...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write