The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-12-2009, 06:59 AM

Default Repertoire for a Nursing Home

I am building my repertoire up (I memorize everything), and I have a goal of performing at a nursing home. We had to place my mom in one recently, and they always have someone come in and play the guitar or piano for an hour. I think it's important to do good deeds like this!

How many pieces will I need to learn? I imagine I can just time it off, and play, but I am wondering if anyone is doing this presently. I may have to get an acoustic as I do notice that the guy who comes in to play, plays songs like "Take me out to the Ball Park", and other fun ones that get the folks just a clapping. So I suppose I could do a mix of classical and acoustic that might be fun!

Thanks for your input...

Lisa
Old 11-12-2009, 07:27 AM

With the holiday's coming up a few Christmas carols would be nice on the classical...or accoustic for that matter. Silent Night on one end and Jingle Bells on the other.

I know the nursing homes around where I am at, the people like to hear old hymns/church songs (Amazing Grace, I'll Fly Away, etc). But they also like some old folk stuff.

IMO I have not been to one where they didn't just flat out appreciated the music regardless of what kind it was. I would be prepared for some requests too...can you play that old song by whatshisname ...

Main thing is have fun playing there. It will be a blast for you I am sure!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:28 AM

My wife has a singing group and they have been doing the entertaining shutin circuit for the last 25 years... She does half a dozen homes with 2 or 3 different programs a year. She has a somewhat fixed format. She always opens with the same number.. "Gift of Song". They do a mid program meet and greet number then she ends with an upbeat kind of number. Her programs run about an hour. They are a vocal group, and use pre-recorded accompaniment. Sometimes she purchases the accompaniment CDs and sometimes she records it herself or gets pianist friends to record the accompaniment. I'm the roadie/techie.. hah..
Ok, as to your question.. You should try and do "old standard" kinds of things. Show tunes or things that Sinatra, Como or Martin would have done. Well, that kind of oldie goldie thing. It would be great if they could participate, but the main thing is that they recognize what you play.
IMHO.. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM

Lisa,

Your post truly warms my heart. You are a very nice person to want to do this. I would say any easy to play song popular in the 40's through the 70's. Maybe a big Country hit tune or so. Some folk songs. Michael Row Your Boat, etc.

My Mom was in a nursing home too, and I missed opportunities to go there and play. I wish I could turn back the clock. No matter what you play, the residents there will love and appreciate it very much.

God bless you!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:34 AM

The songs that people enjoy most when I go to nursing homes are old hymns, and songs that may well have been sung at the residents' weddings. I often let the residents there suggest songs. Of course, I've done this for a while, and have a pretty good idea by now.

If I don't want to do it in the midst of a "performance," I'll go early and ask some of them individually. That gives me a chance to chat, which they sometimes enjoy more than my programs. No, I'm not that bad, it's just that nursing home residents are often lonely, and prefer some one-on-one conversation to the finest of programs they just watch.

cotten
Old 11-12-2009, 07:37 AM

You will love it!
My wife and I have been doing a monthly gig at a local nursing home for several years now. I also tell a few corny jokes, the jokes are the bomb; there are several men that come just for the jokes.

We do one hour that is about all they can take at one sitting. Because we all work we are forced to start at 6:30 pm (third Tuesday of ever month). This is really not the best time, some folks are already in bed and some would rather be. If you can do it in the early afternoon it would be better. The weekend is the time people visit if they get any visits, so we where asked to stay clear of those.

I have about 30 songs in the binder I bring with us; we end up doing about 12 or so, with a half dozen jokes. I don’t do any instrumentals and with just me playing guitar there are no instrumental breaks in the songs. Several people sing along with just about every song especially the hymns, we encourage participation.
It is a smallish room with block walls; I use an acoustic and no amplification.
Here are lists of some of the songs we do in no order of reason:

I saw the light (Hank)
King of the road (Roger Miller)
Silver wings (Merle)
Momma tried (Merle)
Country roads (Denver)
Golden rings (George & Tammy)
You’re the reason God made Oklahoma (West & Frazzle)
In Color (Jamey Johnson)
Loves gonna live here again (Buck Owens)
No more tears (Gordens)
Try a little kindness (Glen)
Power in the blood
City of New Orleans
Don’t be cruel (Elvis)
Do Lord
This little light of mine
Go rest high
I’ll fly away
Daddy sang bass
Lilly of the valley

That is a few I recall off the top of my head.
Stay upbeat your attitude means more than your song choice.
Yamaha 365S (1980 ish)
Taylor 110, 2004
Martin DC-160GTE
Old 11-12-2009, 07:55 AM

I play at a nursing home every now and then, and like Cotten said, old hymns and such. They also like old songs like "Up a Lazy River", and even some old blues.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:12 AM

I got the chance to do this last December. We went as a group, with some of our church singers and some kids. One of the most appreciative audiences ever!

Although you can't see their "enthusiasm" in the videos, they seemed to really enjoy it and we went for about an hour. Even one guy that appeared to be sleeping had his foot tapping in time with us the whole time. We did some old hymns, some "Hoe-down" gospel songs, and tried to do requests as we could manage.

What I like most about seniors is that they will tell you exactly like it is. When we had finished playing, my wife asked them if they would like to sing some Christmas carols. This sweet old lady in her 90's replies: "This has been good.....but we're very old....I've had just about enough and need a nap now."

You had to be there, but it was hilarious. I hope to go again this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0kQiA3Njt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvoJCPps2ds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grYWdTY-sQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv9wqnJeYH0

Last edited by Joe F; 11-12-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 AM

I used to volunteer at a particular seniors home, before moving to a small town. I played guitar there once or twice a week, with a 65 year old blind man who also had cognitive difficulties similar to autism. In fact, he sounds exactly like Dustin Hoffman from the movie Rainman. He plays guitar reasonably well, and harmonica too. In any event, we had our stalwart group of fans, our most loyal being one Minnie Schick, all 101 years of her. She was always the first one there and the last to leave.

The funny part is, Jack played all the oldies (which I learned to play only for this purpose) but I played only the music I wrote, which has a strong blues or even rock flavor. Minnie loved the "new stuff " more than the old. So don't worry too much about making the right selections. A long as its good acoustic music, it should be much appreciated.

I still visit when I go back to the city, about three or four times a year, and we still play, but usually just for ourselves these days, as I never know when I am going to arrive.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 AM

Go over to Chordie.com then go into the public songbooks, it's all there! This time of year Christmas music too. Older country, Elvis, Neil Diamond Golden Oldies. Click the link to get the lyrics and chords, transpose if you need to, print off and put into 3 ring binder. I've got the plastic sleeves in my 3 ring binder for durability.

You will never regret doing this, talk about an appreciative audience. Good for you!

-Mike
Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 AM

They make fake books of hits of the seventies etc- i even think theirs one called classic hit songs ( or someting like that ) an easy way to approach this is to bring along a music stand with a fake book - and put tabs on the pages with the music you want -it can save you memorizing all the songs . i think it really wont matter what you play - its more of the though that counts, and i know youd be appreciated .

A thank you comes your way from me for doing this !
Old 11-12-2009, 08:38 AM

From my experience playing in homes my folks were in over the last three years, where I'd play for lunch, or any reason at all, or no reason, for anyone that was around, that the most popular things were great "standards" mostly available by looking at an old original "Musicians Bible". Here's a few that nearly everyone knows and likes that "assisted living homes" or "nursing homes":

1) Darn that Dream
2)
Accustomed to your face.
3)
As time goes by
4) Autumn Leaves
5)
Danny Boy
6) Days of Wine and Roses
7) Georgia on my mind
8) God Bless the Child
9) My Foolish Heart
10)
Over the Rainbow

and a million more. People would sing along (to themselves usually) with songs of this ilk and they're fun to play.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:48 AM

Chordie.com is a great website! Holy smokes and a ton of music! Thanks so much!!!

Lisa
Old 11-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

the senior home my mom is at has a lot of entertainers. the folks who live there seem to like stuff like frank sinatra, bing crosby and hit songs from movies in the 40s and 50s and sometimes early 60s.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcomer View Post
With the holiday's coming up a few Christmas carols would be nice on the classical...or accoustic for that matter. Silent Night on one end and Jingle Bells on the other.

I know the nursing homes around where I am at, the people like to hear old hymns/church songs (Amazing Grace, I'll Fly Away, etc). But they also like some old folk stuff.

IMO I have not been to one where they didn't just flat out appreciated the music regardless of what kind it was. I would be prepared for some requests too...can you play that old song by whatshisname ...

Main thing is have fun playing there. It will be a blast for you I am sure!
A BIG DITTO. I agree. Your music will be appreciated whatever you play. I have played a few music programs at nursing homes and plan more this Holiday season. A mix of Holiday, Hymns and folk tunes or whatever will be enjoyed by all. I don't sing so I play instrumentals. Most programs I play last about an hour. Some instrumentals I play a:
Silent Night
O Little Town of Bethleham
The First Noel
Canon in D (played in C)
It is Well
Amazing Grace
O Sacred Head Now Wounded
What Child is This
O Come O Come Emmanuel
How Great Thou Art
We Three Kings
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Holy Holy Holy
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
Away In a Manger.
Classical Gas

Many of these can be learned from Youtube material

The main thing is you are there sharing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write