The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 10:45 PM

Default Martin D-15M Question

I've been looking for a good gigging guitar for gigs where I'm not comfortable bringing my D-18A '39 to (hot gigs, bar gigs, smoky gigs, etc). My local shop has a D-15M Burst that sounds particularly good. Surprisingly good, in fact. Balanced, loud, bright/brilliant highs, thick mids and boomy lows that aren't too much.

My question is: can I expect anything weird in terms of it breaking in? I've never owned a Hog-topped guitar and don't know if there's a typical way they break in. I really like how it sounds now, but will it change a lot over the first couple of years?
#3 Album on the Folk DJ Charts Apr 2016
Winners of American Songwriter Magazine's 30th Anniversary Song Contest
"An incredibly promising debut" -Maverick Magazine
www.thedeephollow.com
Old 11-21-2017, 11:17 PM

I’ve got a 15 series mahogany that I bought new a few years ago. She opened up quickly, but actually sounded wonderful from day one.
My favorite gitfiddle now.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Kip. I bought my 000-15 new in 2009, and it sounded scary good from day one. However, over the past year or so, I would say that the tone of the low mids have acquired a wonderful "dryness" to them. It now sounds better than any 000-18 I have heard.
#Team15Series #TeamAllMahogany

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 11-21-2017, 11:36 PM
Guest 728

Just like any guitar, it's gonna do what it's gonna do, and it might not do anything at all.

The good news is, it will always sound EXACTLY like it does at the very moment you're playing it.

Great guitar. Go get it.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:30 AM

I had a D15M and it was a great sounding guitar. I only sold it because I found a dread to be too big for me. I then bought a 0015M which is a very good sounding guitar but the D15M sounded better.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:21 AM
Charter Member

I gig with my 15,with Baggs M80 pickup.

And I don’t think she sounds different now vs 2009.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 11-22-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:43 AM

I bought a new J-15 (Martin not the name usurping Gibson model) in 2007. A decade later it sounds slightly more open than when I bought it. That change occurred after I'd had the guitar for about 6 months. My experience has been that the change with the mahogany top has been more subtle than with the guitars I've owned for ten or more years with spruce tops. Oh, and I should mention the tone of that J-15 has always been superb.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-22-2017, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

I've always heard that mahogany tops take longer? I have one of Ted's custom D-15SM 12 fret dreads. I'm maybe the 4th or 5th owner. The first owner was evidently VERY heavy handed and played it hard...really hard. And saw fit to carve his mane in the back of the headstock. It has a certain resonance that I've not encountered in any other all mahogany guitar. But I think it take a lot of play...almost to the point of abuse in the case of my D15SM? I've had the name filled and you can't see it now but more importantly had a total re-fret (stainless steel) and the neck trued. It's a great old guitar and I wouldn't hesitate to gig it. So if you like it now it can get better but I would never but a guitar based on what it might sound like later. I've owned a bunch of different style 15 Martin's. Great value and different voice than most of what Martin builds. My opinion? Go for it...and enjoy!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:08 AM

My opinion may be a bit biased as I own a 000-15 but of the series I believe this is the best model. Has more low end than the 00, easier to play seated than the bulk of the dread size, has great tone all around. Try them all to see what fits your style.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
My opinion may be a bit biased as I own a 000-15 but of the series I believe this is the best model. Has more low end than the 00, easier to play seated than the bulk of the dread size, has great tone all around. Try them all to see what fits your style.
I'd definitely go for the D-15M Burst at my local shop - it sounds and feels just right to me. They do have one of the new Street Masters that I compared it to and the Burst wins for me in this particular situation. Anyway I'm fairly big and have no problem playing a dread sitting down

Thanks for the replies everyone! Really helpful and insightful. I believe I'll make the purchase! Might just need to sell my '68 Custom Princeton Reverb Resissue first, though...
www.thedeephollow.com
Old 11-22-2017, 09:59 AM

Had my eye on a D-15 for a while; went to play one, loved the sound but the skinny, modified low oval neck put me off. Very nice guitar otherwise.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Had my eye on a D-15 for a while; went to play one, loved the sound but the skinny, modified low oval neck put me off. Very nice guitar otherwise.
Ah. I totally prefer 1&11/16. That's actually why I've ruled out a used Standard D-18 for a gigging guitar...just can't get used to that neck.
www.thedeephollow.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion