The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-15-2015, 06:33 PM

Default Looking For a Fret Board Exercise

Learning chords mostly and neglecting single string picking that I need to spend more time on now. When trying to read tab, obviously I can pluck one string at a time but don't know how to do it efficiently with the right finger stretches on the right frets in order to gain the speed needed.

This is kind of what I'm talking about ( just jump to the middle) but how would this be applied up the down the fret board? Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ckJJMCe_4
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 03-15-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Learning chords mostly and neglecting single string picking that I need to spend more time on now. When trying to read tab, obviously I can pluck one string at a time but don't know how to do it efficiently with the right finger stretches on the right frets in order to gain the speed needed.

This is kind of what I'm talking about ( just jump to the middle) but how would this be applied up the down the fret board? Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ckJJMCe_4
Something like this?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM

Perfect timing for me on this lesson. My instructor told me to start focusing on "Flying Fingers" and keep the economy in check.

thanks
Old 03-17-2015, 11:42 PM

Scales. Learn the five positions, with the different modes. Every morning, I play through two keys up and down the fretboard. I do hammer on and pull off exercises from Pumping Nylon, and another exercise from that book that does cross string stretches. Takes five minutes, it's my warmup before practice, makes me stronger in all my fingers, and I learn the patterns on the fretboard. It's easy.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwaugh View Post
Scales. Learn the five positions, with the different modes. Every morning, I play through two keys up and down the fretboard. I do hammer on and pull off exercises from Pumping Nylon, and another exercise from that book that does cross string stretches. Takes five minutes, it's my warmup before practice, makes me stronger in all my fingers, and I learn the patterns on the fretboard. It's easy.
This is what I'm talking about. But I will need to see a diagram of it.

Which keys do you do this in?

Thanks
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 03-18-2015, 09:59 AM

MIB lessons and A Steve Vai CD and matching song book.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
This is what I'm talking about. But I will need to see a diagram of it.

Which keys do you do this in?

Thanks
Here's the link to the grade 5 syllabus of conservatory Canada. If you scroll through, you'll see the scales/shapes, both in standard notation, and as a fretboard illustration. This go around, I have been working on D major and Bb major. But the five positions give you the entire fretboard in the major, and the relative minor, which would be B minor and G minor in this case. You also learn all the modes doing this, which may or may not be important to your. But by learning all five positions, they are movable up and down the neck.

Conservatory Canada Grade 5 Contemporary Idioms Syllabus
Old 03-19-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwaugh View Post
Here's the link to the grade 5 syllabus of conservatory Canada. If you scroll through, you'll see the scales/shapes, both in standard notation, and as a fretboard illustration. This go around, I have been working on D major and Bb major. But the five positions give you the entire fretboard in the major, and the relative minor, which would be B minor and G minor in this case. You also learn all the modes doing this, which may or may not be important to your. But by learning all five positions, they are movable up and down the neck.

Conservatory Canada Grade 5 Contemporary Idioms Syllabus
Nice document here. Many Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write