The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-28-2024, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Stopped fret slots

I think I’d like to try using stopped fret slots in my next build. Stopping the slots short of the edge will make it look like the neck is bound.

Has anyone done this without CNC? How’d you do it?
Old 01-28-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I think I’d like to try using stopped fret slots in my next build. Stopping the slots short of the edge will make it look like the neck is bound.

Usually what's done is to bind the fingerboard with the same wood, cutting the slots through before binding.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Usually what's done is to bind the fingerboard with the same wood, cutting the slots through before binding.
Taylor does this the best of any manufacturer. I sometimes pick one up just to see how long it takes me to see any visible evidence of their work.

There's probably some details of how they do the process in one of those extended factory tour videos on Youtube.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:19 PM

Why does Taylor do this? Is it a matter of esthetic or production cost?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-28-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Why does Taylor do this? Is it a matter of esthetic or production cost?
They do it so the fret tang isn't visible at the edge of the board and the method they use to install the frets means there's almost no chance of ever getting sharp or rough edges from "fret sprout".

CNC and custom-built precision machinery is such an integral part of Taylor's manufacturing process that there may not be any additional cost to them for doing it that way.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:54 PM

Quote:
D'oh - misread the question as *with CNC*

Last edited by misterg; 01-28-2024 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:13 PM

Taylor installs frets after the neck and fingerboard are installed on the body. In other words, after finish is applied. Not having exposed fret tangs simplifies the fret work on a finished neck.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:38 PM

I refretted a 2016? Martin D-18. They appeared to have slots cut short of the fretboard edge, then installed with undercut tangs. I replaced similarly.

When I want to hide fret ends, I saw slots through normally, install frets with undercut tangs then fill slot ends with ebony dust and CA glue, then sand smooth. When I did a rosewood fretboard recently, I used padauk sawdust it matched better than the rosewood dust which darkens with the glue.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
When I want to hide fret ends, I saw slots through normally, install frets with undercut tangs then fill slot ends with ebony dust and CA glue, then sand smooth. When I did a rosewood fretboard recently, I used padauk sawdust it matched better than the rosewood dust which darkens with the glue.
It seems most Chinese and Indonesian made guitars do this too, but are not super careful about an invisible filler. I suspect they cut the slots deeper at the edges of the fingerboard to give them a larger target for their filler. I presume they laminate the fret board after fretting, as is likely easier to automate, and might explain why this guitar has a laminated fretboard and a skunk stripe. If the slots were really that deep the fretboard would be too fragile as a separate piece part.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-29-2024, 01:01 PM

Default non-through fret slots

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Jeff Whose Surname I Forgot at SF/Petaluma Guitar Works, has used his handy-dandy Plek machine to do stopped slot fretboards for his new builds.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

Just my opinion, but I imagine coming up with a way to do this without a CNC would be a good bit more work than binding the fingerboard. I use the off-cuts of my fingerboard blank to cut my binding strips -- properly done, the difference between a bound vs. CNC'd fingerboard should be indistinguishable.
instagram
Old 02-01-2024, 05:36 PM

I guess a glued binding should be nicer than filling the slot ends like that chinese example shows. I even would try to cover the slot ends of an ebony fretboard with an ebony binding stripe.

Martin D28 (1973)
12-string cutaway ...finished ;-)
Hoyer 12-string (1965)
Yamaha FG-340 (1970)
Yamaha FG-512 (ca. 1980)
D.Maurer 8-string baritone (2013-2014)
and 4 electric axes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair