The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-29-2024, 04:04 PM

Default Would a small repaired crack in the top impact plugged in sound?

I know this is probably a dumb question but would a repaired crack in a spruce top (about 2" long) affect the guitar's sound when plugged in? It has an under saddle pickup. Also, does this make the guitar susceptible to further cracking along the same line? This was a Martin that was repaired by a certified Martin repair tech, so I'm sure it was done right. This one is for sale at almost half the price of it new.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Everything affects the sound but, plugged in acoustic sound is not fantastic to begin with so I wouldn't be too concerned. Depending where they are, they can affect sustain a little. Sometimes, the bass response. Again, a little. But, if it's for plugged in sound, my feeling about plugged in acoustic tone is that it's really hard to hurt something that is so compromised to begin with.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I know this is probably a dumb question but would a repaired crack in a spruce top (about 2" long) affect the guitar's sound when plugged in? It has an under saddle pickup. Also, does this make the guitar susceptible to further cracking along the same line? This was a Martin that was repaired by a certified Martin repair tech, so I'm sure it was done right. This one is for sale at almost half the price of it new.

Especially in the area of this crack which is north-ish of the sound hole the answer is no. In fact when done right anywhere on the guitar it most likely will not have an effect on the tone of the instrument. Furthermore, when done right, it should not be concern for expanding the crack in the future.

When you think about it, the guitar is entirely held together by glue. The top and the back of the guitar are two halves that are joined together with glue, almost if not exactly, like joining the two sides of a crack.

When done properly a glued joint is stronger then the wood itself.

So don't worry about it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair