The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Another GC Story

So I haven't been to a Guitar Center in years. I was doing a little traveling to see Arlo Guthrie and stopped in to check out a Martin low oval performing artist neck, as I was passing through. The neck shape that the newer D-18s have. They didn't have a D-18 or any Martins even close so I asked a couple of employees if they have any Martins with this neck shape. They didn't know anything about anything. They only had cheap Martins. Picked up a couple of Gibsons to look at and two out of three were out of tune. That was it. I didn't get to check out the neck shape. I passed by all that expensive equipment on the way out. I don't think I spent 15 minutes in the store. It's like the Walmart of music stores.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I sort of have mixed feelings about GC. Ours are actually quite nice - one is a rather new store and most of the employees are very cool folks.

Over the past 2-3 years, they keep changing their approach with rapid fire inventory and layout changes. They build up massive inventory of high end used guitars, then suddenly dump everything and have a sparse inventory, then they re-layout the entire store, then restock, then re-layout the entir estore again. It's like every time I go in there, it's a different store.

I get the distinct impression they are trying desperate measures to improve business, but changing again in a panic when that doesn't improve things fast enough (or at all).

The other thing I don't like (in general) is that the last (literally) 5-6 times I've gone in there they didn't have a single guitar I was looking for (and I'm talking popular things like a Martin 000-15 or any Taylor nylon string or a Cordoba Fusion.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 05-20-2017, 04:41 PM

Walmart treat their employee's better.

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 05-20-2017, 04:56 PM

They only had cheap Martins and the Gibsons were out of tune.

How awful.

I bet your chauffeur was pleased he didn't have to double park for too long.

Guys you don't know how lucky you are!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 05-20-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
or a Cordoba Fusion.
Mine had one. Now I have it! Maple-12 fret. Very nice.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

I have two GCs very close to me, one locks up anything over $1,800 and the other doesn't. Very odd, but both places have good employees who are always helpful and friendly. They basically carry the same guitars, year in and year out. Just certain Martins and Taylors (almost no 12 fretters from either) and a handful of Gibsons. Under $1,000 you'll see the less expensive Breedloves. Then a few Seagulls and Alvarez and in the less expensive room you'll see Epiphones, Fenders etc. Not too many Yamahas any more.

I keep walking in hoping I'll find a used Waterloo to try or a Collings or SC. No chance.

Maybe I should frequent Lark Street Music more....

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:53 AM

I bought my grandson a jr set of drums from GC 2 weeks ago. We went together to shop that day and it was 2 pm on a Saturday and the parking lot was jammed full. I told the kids...alright, it's going to be noisy and a lot of people in here so don't touch anything! Looking back I should have just told then to have at it because everyone else was....

And the drum section was typical....many people doing test and tune and about a 14 year old kid going from one set to another....he could play very well and LOUD.

The sales clerk was busy and when he finally got to us was very nice and helpful. Had to pull one out of stock and let us open the box to check it out. I noticed later he had earplugs in and we laughed about it.

If they had any Martins in the store, I'm sure they were well played!

My first time at this store and the Google Map reviews are accuracte:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gu...324028!9m1!1b1
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 05-21-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
So I haven't been to a Guitar Center in years. I was doing a little traveling to see Arlo Guthrie and stopped in to check out a Martin low oval performing artist neck, as I was passing through. The neck shape that the newer D-18s have. They didn't have a D-18 or any Martins even close so I asked a couple of employees if they have any Martins with this neck shape. They didn't know anything about anything. They only had cheap Martins. Picked up a couple of Gibsons to look at and two out of three were out of tune. That was it. I didn't get to check out the neck shape. I passed by all that expensive equipment on the way out. I don't think I spent 15 minutes in the store. It's like the Walmart of music stores.
Which GC were you at?
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 05-21-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Picked up a couple of Gibsons to look at and two out of three were out of tune.
So tune them!

I'm no great fan of GC, but I don't go in expecting every guitar to be in tune. That's kind of like refusing to test drive a car you're interested in because the seat and mirrors aren't adjusted to your needs!

Now if you want to talk about the paleolithic strings, I'll listen sympathetically.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:43 AM

I don't go to a Kia dealer to ask questions about Aston Martins.

GC is what it is. A great place to get a deal if you know what you are doing (including understanding the pressures on the employees).

It is not a place to be educated and guided through a purchase.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:10 AM

The only problem I have with GC, is that the high-end guitars have been played so much, that the strings need to be changed more frequently to hear the true tone. Some sound so dead- as if they haven't been re-strung in years. But, what can you do? Sometimes, I'm not sure if the dead sound is from the instrument or the strings and it makes me not want to buy certain guitars.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

You didn't play the Gibsons because they were out of tune???

Some guitars
Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Texas View Post
You didn't play the Gibsons because they were out of tune???
Like the old joke I sometimes mention at a gig while tuning: "I don't know what's the matter with this guitar, it was in tune 3 years ago when I bought it!"

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-22-2017, 08:37 AM

Our GC and the people are generally cool. At Christmas time they had new/extra staff and I was stopping by alot because the inventory was changing alot. Spent some time in the acoustic room and the sales kid covering it wasn't that bright so I carefully helped him out and actually sold a few guitar for him. it was fun and he was cool with it. I like to browse their used section at least once a week and of course the diving. Last weeks was a new nice keyboard stand missing one bolt. Got a bolt and gave it to a church that is slowly starting up and could use it.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 AM

I just don't like the big box feel of the GC's I've been too. Fortunately, I'm only 20 minutes or so from The Music Emporium so I can see great instruments in a pleasant environment with knowledgeable and friendly staff. Hard for GC to compete. And yes, I do know how lucky I am.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String