The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-19-2017, 06:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default ToneDexter - new firmware release

Hi folks,
We are releasing some new firmware for ToneDexter users, it'll be up on our site later this evening or tomorrow morning. As always, there is no charge for it. We've been listening to what users have been asking for, so we think you'll be pleased with this offering.

Version 1.10 released 5/23/17

Feature Enhancements
• 22 WaveMaps - option A/B switch now functions as bank select for WaveMaps 1-11 or 12-22
• Anti-feedback adjustment of WaveMaps improved to have less midrange boost and better level matching.
• The mic signal can now be auditioned right after the level setting phase of training, rather than having to wait for the complete training session.
• Temporary display of boost level when adjusting Boost volume control.
• Temporary display of character mode when adjusting Character control.
• Separate HGH (high) code release for banjo, violin, uke, etc. with higher notch frequency range, otherwise the same as GEN (general) code.
• Separate BAS (bass) code release for upright bass. EQ and notch ranges adjusted accordingly. Longer WaveMap length to accommodate lower frequencies.
• Bass WaveMaps exist in separate memory locations and do not interfere with general WaveMaps, so they can coexist in the same box.
• New feedback notch adjustment ranges:
o HGH (high) 124 (B2) to 466 (A#4)
o GEN (general) 73 (D2) to 392 (G4)
o BAS (bass) 37 (D1) to 165 (E3)

Bug Fixes
• Low level 10KHz noise occurs just when bypassing a slot containing a WaveMap.
• When training from a slot with an existing WaveMap, the first time audition plays S, it plays new WaveMap rather than stored WaveMap. Next and subsequent times through it is correct.
• In audition modes P and M which have EQ disabled, EQ lights were not turned off.
• Intermittent temporary display of notch frequency when knob not fully CCW on some units.
• Temporary display of EQ not working properly in TRAIN mode after training complete but before storing WaveMap.
• Tapping BOOST switch occasionally gives double tap instead of single tap.
• Adjusting Notch control before temporary EQ display times out causes decimal point from EQ to show in Notch display.

Firmware updates are done by downloading files onto an SD card and putting that into the slot in the side of ToneDexter, then rebooting the unit. Complete instructions can be found in the Firmware Downloads section.

Enjoy!
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup

Last edited by James May; 05-23-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:51 PM

Hi James. Can't wait to try it (but I ain't risking it until Sunday after all my gigs are done)!

Regarding the option switch: how does the DI out/variable volume work now? I'm trying to decide which way I want to go with that, and I kind of like having the volume knob.

Edit: I assume that the volume knob controls the 1/4" output and the DI out does its thing when plugged in?

Last edited by midwinter; 05-19-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Hi James. Can't wait to try it (but I ain't risking it until Sunday after all my gigs are done)!
Haha! I thought about writing these exact words.

I'll load the new firmware on Sunday after tonight's gig.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Haha! I thought about writing these exact words.

I'll load the new firmware on Sunday after tonight's gig.

Right???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 12:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

We've discovered a minor user interface bug at the last minute, and are working to sort that out before releasing the new code. Sorry for the false start, we should have the new releases up very soon.
James May Engineering
Old 05-23-2017, 04:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Firmware release V1.10 is up on our site. This is actually three releases: Guitar and general instruments (GEN), higher range instruments (HGH), and upright bass (BAS). I've edited my original post of this thread with the corrected bug fixes.

There is a new user guide version 1.10 available for download as well
James May Engineering
Old 05-23-2017, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

James -- I have a multislot SD card hub, but no actual SD cards -- and there seem to be many types. Is this the kind of SD card required?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by urlkonig View Post
James -- I have a multislot SD card hub, but no actual SD cards -- and there seem to be many types. Is this the kind of SD card required?
That is the right type. Most any of them will work. Smaller capacity (< 1G) would be good if you want to save money and won't be using it for other purposes.
James May Engineering
Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 PM

Hi James,

I must be doing something wrong. Mine starts, flashes "1.00", then "GEN", then flashes through some numbers, ending on R11. But it doesn't update.

Couple of questions:

1) How far should the card stick out? Mine sticks out almost 1cm.

2) When I checked my SD card in my laptop, it was formatted "exFAT," and the only other option I saw was "NTFS." So I left it at exFAT. It's a 64 GB card.

Does either of these tell you anything about what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
Hi James,

I must be doing something wrong. Mine starts, flashes "1.00", then "GEN", then flashes through some numbers, ending on R11. But it doesn't update.

Couple of questions:

1) How far should the card stick out? Mine sticks out almost 1cm.

2) When I checked my SD card in my laptop, it was formatted "exFAT," and the only other option I saw was "NTFS." So I left it at exFAT. It's a 64 GB card.

Does either of these tell you anything about what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
It must be FAT32. That's explains why it won't update. For cards bigger than 32G, most (or all?) operating systems won't allow you to format them to FAT32. The simplest would be to try a smaller card and reformat it to FAT32 if it isn't already formatted as such.
James May Engineering
Old 05-23-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
It must be FAT32. That's explains why it won't update. For cards bigger than 32G, most (or all?) operating systems won't allow you to format them to FAT32. The simplest would be to try a smaller card and reformat it to FAT32 if it isn't already formatted as such.
Thanks for the fast reply!

That's what I'll do.

EDIT: Worked like a charm. Thanks again, James!

Last edited by NoodleFingers; 05-23-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: It worked!
Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 PM

I think I know the answer-but just wanted to make sure...firmware downloading updates will erase all existing wavemaps?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle fever View Post
I think I know the answer-but just wanted to make sure...firmware downloading updates will erase all existing wavemaps?
I have no connection with Audio Sprockets, except as a customer. And sadly, I won't be able to make any wavemaps of my own for a few weeks.

But I have been following this device for almost a year-and-a-half. I can tell you that everything about it is extremely well-thought-out, well-designed, and well-made.

Erasing all your wavemaps every time you update would be a horrible design flaw, and I just cannot believe that James or Andy would design it that way.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle fever View Post
NO! Existing WaveMaps are preserved when upgrading the firmware.
James May Engineering
Old 05-24-2017, 09:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I have no connection with Audio Sprockets, except as a customer. And sadly, I won't be able to make any wavemaps of my own for a few weeks.

But I have been following this device for almost a year-and-a-half. I can tell you that everything about it is extremely well-thought-out, well-designed, and well-made.

Erasing all your wavemaps every time you update would be a horrible design flaw, and I just cannot believe that James or Andy would design it that way.
Thank you for your vote of confidence!
James May Engineering

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification