The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-19-2017, 09:46 AM
Humanist

Default Went to the movies...HOLY MOLY...

Went to the movies last night, to our local slightly-discounted first-run movie theater. We usually pay about $7 for tickets. Last night it was $7.50. Not bad.

Hadn't been there for maybe a year...can't remember, actually. I usually wait for any movie to come out on blu-ray, buy it, and pocket the difference between gas (25 minute drive each way) and popcorn/snacks, etc. (even with pre-purchasing peanut M&Ms, my preferred "health food" at the movies). Then we can watch again, which happens frequently in our household.

When we bought our tickets the ticket-guy had us pick our seats...reserved. We had not seen/experienced this before. The screen we were shown with all the seats (available and unavailable) had far fewer seats then we remembered, and we asked if the theater areas had been made smaller.

Nope. No real explanation. Just the reduced-seating capacity and no other dialogue while purchasing and *selecting* our seats.

We got into the theater where our movie was playing...HOLY MOLY, each and every "seat" was a fully-reclining padded lounge chair...I have never seen or heard-about anything like this. We don't know when they upgraded, but it must have cost a ton of dough. Electric reclining loungers!

I was pretty much as comfortable as I would have been while stretched-out on my couch at home.

The sound-system was also improved, but thankfully not at i-max movie volumes, which are too loud for me...still, it was a welcomed and powerful audio experience.

This, again, at our local discount theater (Springfield, not Eugene...often referred to as Spring-tucky!).

Let's just say that I will be *way* more inclined to go-public for first-run movies at this theater...I can't say for sure, but I don't think that the Eugene $10 theaters have this kind of extremely comfortable seating arrangements.

What a world (meant in a good way, for once)...!

Oh, we saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and it met and/or exceeded our expectations. Action, fun dialogue, and characters we enjoy. YMMV.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 05-19-2017, 10:02 AM

I notice that on demand movies have prices up to $11.00 now for "in theaters now" movies. Just run of the mill HD are $6.00.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:04 AM

The movie theater here is where the parents go to dump their thug kids to get rid of them for the evening. Besides being terribly expensive to see a show, you have to dodge a hundred or so wanna be delinquents
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 05-19-2017, 10:45 AM

It's been a while since I went to the cinema but they have come a long way since the old flea pit days. Our local flicks when I was younger had a balcony but the roof wasn't high enough for the projector to clear the heads of anyone who stood up upstairs. Whenever someone got up to leave their seat on the balcony they would be silhouetted on the screen and met with an entire audience screaming 'SIT DOWN' (or words to that effect).

I went to see Jaws there when it was released and in the first few minutes, when Chief Brody is silhouetted against his bedroom window the house shouted to Roy Scheider to sit down - not realising it was part of the film.

Makes me smile now every time it's repeated on TV.

YouTube
Old 05-19-2017, 11:21 AM

Yeah I saw Guardians 2 in a "Dolby Theater" situation. Powered reclining lounge seats that "rumble" with the sound system and can't be kicked from behind because there's a wall there.

Did not expect any of that as I'm so old that at my age Dolby just means a good sound system. NOT an Imax type experience, minus the annoying curved screen and 3D glasses.

It was not $7.50 however... Oh no... It was NOT $7.50...
Old 05-19-2017, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Larry,

Yes our AMC theaters went the way of those nice seats. And reserved seating is so nice. We go online and buy half dozen seats and go to the theater as a family and no fussing around for where to sit - its so nice.

My daughter and her boyfriend just saw that movie and she really wants me to go see it with her so I just finished watchgin the GOG-1 so I know the backstory.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

One thing about current movie-going I really dislike is the 3D stuff.

I have a good 3D perception ability so I can get immersed quite well (I rabidly played 3D online MMORPG's for a very, very long time so I am a virtual reality person). That said, I hate the 3D "effects". They are awkward and immersion breaking . And seeing a movie in 2D it is so obvious when there are scene that are gratuitously designed to be 3D, like the slow-motion fight scenes in space with debris flying at the viewer, etc.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-19-2017, 01:39 PM

I've pretty much given up on the whole movie theatre thing.
I find I simply cannot abide the endless advertising for cars, lawnmowers, whatever, played at rock concert levels.
I won't pay to watch commercials.
- my dear wife thinks I'm a grumpy old man, probably right ---
Old 05-19-2017, 01:41 PM

My wife and I don't often go to the theatre, but when we do, we always take in an early afternoon matinee...it's half price admission...

But the biggest benefits are no crowds, unruly kids, or hordes of mouthy teens who won't shut up or stay in their seats...
Old 05-19-2017, 05:22 PM

Hey Larry, even here in actual Kentucky-tucky we've had the full power recliners and super duper surround sound systems for a few years now.

My problem is I get too comfortable reclining in a dark room, and when the action on the screen comes to a lull and it is quiet, I can doze right off. I always have to tell my daughter to check on me out of the corner of her eye and elbow me if I start to fade.

Guardians 2 was a fun movie. Seeing Kurt Russell as a 20 yr. old again was pretty cool.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 PM

Here College Station/Bryan Texas before 6: 4.50 after 7.00

Cinemart and Premier Theaters

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 05-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Only $7.50 for a movie? Where do you live Larry, 1985?

A ticket by me is $18 a head.

Great seats - recliners, dolby surround sound.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 05-19-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I really like these newer theaters! We have a 4-plex locally that hasn't been updated in 15 years. Typical old-school theater seats, close together; not enough slope to the floor if someone tall sits in front of you.

Contrast that with the theaters we go to when we spend time in "the big city" (visiting our daughter in the Phoenix area): we reserve seats on-line the night before. The large, power-reclining, uber-comfortable seats, with plenty of room; even a large armrest with drink holders that can be raised if you want to sit a little closer together , enough rise between the seats that an NBA player can sit in the row (far) in front of you (plenty of room to walk between each row) and you still have an unobstructed view. Great sound. And senior prices that are less than those in our small town cramped theater. PLUS, you get to put your own butter on the popcorn!

Gone are the days of having to get to the theater 45 minutes ahead of time to hopefully get a decent seat. If there are good movies playing, we frequently do a couple shows a week when we're there.

We bought the Premier card that gives you discounts on treats (paid for itself in two visits) and a Premier line for the snack bar (like getting to go to the front of the line). Pay on-line so you don't have to wait in line to get into the theater.

I like it!
Old 05-20-2017, 02:55 PM

Dallas has theater complexes with different prices for the same movie!!!

Do you want traditional, reclining seats, beverage/food service, sofas? Want 3-D, a theater for each.........

I bought a decent home theater years ago and never looked back, no drive, no kids yapping/texting, no stupid high food/drink prices, a pause button (priceless), no half hour of BS/promos before the movie starts.

Not a movie theater fan, my home system gives me the experience without the "hassle", and I can have friends over for "community".........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-20-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattzap View Post
The movie theater here is where the parents go to dump their thug kids to get rid of them for the evening. Besides being terribly expensive to see a show, you have to dodge a hundred or so wanna be delinquents
Have you tried going earlier like before 3pm? I mostly have the theater to myself or only with other adults.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic