The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Dang, who knew fiddle music was popular in the Klingon Empire.
They're part of the federation now Harry, get used to it. Now, Romulans, ,,, NO ,,, never gonna happen.

Anyhoo, what are you doin' here ? Just come to have idle fun, or getting carbon-curious ? That's OK, you're with friends here.

EDIT: I just remembered you told us you had a cash surplus you were looking to spend , better call Sean:

http://emeraldguitars.com/?v=79cba1185463

Last edited by Long Jon; 05-19-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
They're part of the federation now Harry, get used to it. Now, Romulans, ,,, NO ,,, never gonna happen.

Anyhoo, what are you doin' here ? Just come to have idle fun, or getting carbon-curious ? That's OK, you're with friends here.

EDIT: I just remembered you told us you had a cash surplus you were looking to spend , better call Sean:

http://emeraldguitars.com/?v=79cba1185463
Too late, sent all the money to Texas. As if they need it.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:52 AM

If you are a professional musician it could be just the ticket, but I am sorry its little too different for my tastes. I still like the traditional shapes and styles.

I would rather say what a cool violin than say what is it? Just me
Old 05-19-2017, 06:58 AM

When I saw the photos of how it fits over the shoulder, it all made sense suddenly.

This one, of course, has a huge art aspect, but I wonder if the over the shoulder approach would be welcome by other players in some sort of simple light weight version? Maybe it could lead to a whole new standard for holding violins?

A simplified version wouldn't even need CF, could be something else.

Or, maybe similar support products already exist in some form.

Again, I'm probably talking nonsense since I don't know the world of violins, but it seems it would be more comfortable than jamming a violin under my short neck.

The photos also gave me a different perspective on the size. It's way bigger than I envisioned--but with CF--would still be pretty light.

It must have been a fun project to tackle.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:23 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
When I saw the photos of how it fits over the shoulder, it all made sense suddenly.

This one, of course, has a huge art aspect
, but I wonder if the over the shoulder approach would be welcome by other players in some sort of simple light weight version? Maybe it could lead to a whole new standard for holding violins?

A simplified version wouldn't even need CF, could be something else.

Or, maybe similar support products already exist in some form.

Again, I'm probably talking nonsense since I don't know the world of violins, but it seems it would be more comfortable than jamming a violin under my short neck.

The photos also gave me a different perspective on the size. It's way bigger than I envisioned--but with CF--would still be pretty light.

It must have been a fun project to tackle.
Yes, seeing it in use makes sense. Obviously, the fit must be custom to the player. Pretty cool for it's intended application.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Guest 928

The world is certainly shaping up differently than it used to. I know very little about violins, but I did make a bow. Actually, I made somewhere around 5 before I got it right. In the process I learned that violin makers generally do not make the bow--that is a special art. Which leads to the question, Does this violin owner use a cf bow?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi Jim777,

Here you go The carbon fiber case for the Phoenix violin was custom-built by Alistair.

Here is a video we compiled which will give you a small insight the journey of the Phoenix from Donegal to Malaysia. I saw that you also shared it Long John, thank you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppZGX0PWARQ

Dennis recently released his latest official music video which features the Phoenix in the recording and in the video which is a tribute to the movie Beauty & The Beast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-hpmhdgkGI

Thank you also to Uncle Pauhana for sharing the photos of Dennis.

Sean

Untitled1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Wow! Even the case is a work of art. I had not seen that Phoenix violin before - amazing!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Does anyone know if Emerald has done a mandolin?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Does anyone know if Emerald has done a mandolin?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
I would think the Emerald Amicus could be set up with 8 strings instead of 12 easily enough. It's mandolin sized.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Does this violin owner use a cf bow?
I don't have a CF violin (yet), but I do have a coda bow. Best bow I ever used.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber