The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-15-2017, 12:52 PM

Default Tried some "flamencas", is flat (flamenca) better than radius (crossover)?

I'm still on the look out for my new "quality" guitar after I have moved on from acoustics and steel strings.

I went to Casa Luthier in Barcelona today to try the Alhambra crossover and I wasn't very impressed. So I asked if they could let me try some "flamencas", but only those with a thin neck (but still 52mm).

I was told that the best brand for thin necks was Camps (I already own their crossover and I am quite happy with the workmanship).

I was very impressed with their flamenca models. Very low action, great projection and tone, and with some added snap that goes well with my style of playing.

I could still use my thumb, just, any thicker and I wouldn't be able too. I could get used to it and quite liked the extra room. I was very very happy, but what about the flat fret board?

I know people will say it is a preference thing, but are there any objective facts? What differentiates them? Are radiused fret boards really easier to barre?

I have very skinny fingers with large knuckles, so I need to be careful where I place the knuckles on barre chords. Will it be more of a problem on a flat board?

I'm going to have to go back to the shop this weekend.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 05-16-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

I'm really not aware of any flamenco guitars with radiused fretboards. At least not in a mass-produced model. That's usually relegated to the "crossover" guitars with narrower necks, which would make it less desirable for playing flamenco styles.

I've been EXTREMELY happy with my Chinese-made Cordoba GK Pros and F10 flamencos. The necks are very comfortable for my smallish hands. The Spanish-made FCWE and 55FCEs that I owned had chunkier necks and I didn't care for them. The tone was good on them (despite their thinner bodies), but I wasn't able to get the strings as low for that authentic flamenco snap & sizzle and easier playability, as I have been able to on the Chinese Luthier series Cordoba flamencos.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:07 PM

My flamenco guitar that I built for myself has a standard dimension finger board but a 20deg radius. Honestly, it really is a thing of preference. I thought I would like it but I don't. I prefer the flat board better I think. But it does seem to make the barre chord a bit easier on the 1st finger. There is a natural curve in the finger and it tends to feel like it fits better. But IMO over all there is something I like better in a flat board that I cannot describe really.

Again it really is preference so you need to try it yourself.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:03 AM

I arrived at nylon string guitars after a long period of steel string play. I have both flat and radiused boards in a classical and cross-over, respectively. I do prefer the wide flat board, though, because of the width. If the radiused board were wider I'd probably prefer it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical