The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-16-2017, 08:18 PM

She looks right at home on the lawn chair. But what am I seeing on the headstock, reflection?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Yep.

Dammit, where's the upload thing? I'll have to post photos later.

[/QUOTE]

Fixed it for you. You had one too many "http://" at the beginning of the URL for pics 2 and 3. This happens when you paste into the box without first deleting the default http:// that's already there.

Very nice. I like it. The JP armrest looks really good on it!

What kind of bridge pins are those? Power pins maybe? If so, how do you like them?
Old 05-16-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post

Fixed it for you. You had one too many "http://" at the beginning of the URL for pics 2 and 3. This happens when you paste into the box without first deleting the default http:// that's already there.

Very nice. I like it. The JP armrest looks really good on it!

What kind of bridge pins are those? Power pins maybe? If so, how do you like them?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, appreciated!

Those are Power Pins, which I've to modify to accomodate the heavier strings. They're okay...
Old 05-17-2017, 03:55 AM

The Pearse armrest looks good and natural on the body, IMO. I used one on a traditional wood guitar many years ago and it really helped with the ergonomics for me.

My playing style/body dimensions always causes me arm problems at the armrest location of normal guitars. The Pearse is an inexpensive way to transform an edge and gives it the feeling of a round curve. I know it is suppose to also help prevent dampening of the top sound board from arm contact, but for me, the ergonomic aspect was what I was after.

I just checked and I no longer have that armrest and realize I must have sold it together with that guitar many years ago--but still remember being impressed with it.

BTW, I'll have to look up Power Pins. I'm not familiar with them.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:22 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
The Pearse armrest looks good and natural on the body, IMO. I used one on a traditional wood guitar many years ago and it really helped with the ergonomics for me.

My playing style/body dimensions always causes me arm problems at the armrest location of normal guitars. The Pearse is an inexpensive way to transform an edge and gives it the feeling of a round curve. I know it is suppose to also help prevent dampening of the top sound board from arm contact, but for me, the ergonomic aspect was what I was after.

I just checked and I no longer have that armrest and realize I must have sold it together with that guitar many years ago--but still remember being impressed with it.

BTW, I'll have to look up Power Pins. I'm not familiar with them.
Do a search for them in the General forum. There are a number of threads, and if I recall correctly, a bit contensious including persistent posts by the maker of them who is a member here. I have no opinion on their effectiveness.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:21 AM

I just did a youtube search and found a few before and after comparison videos. the Pins do seem to increase the projection noticeably to my surprise, but the quality of the sound seems to change as well. So I think it depends on your guitar and if the guitar + Pin combination is satisfying to you or not.

After viewing several of the videos, I think Power Pins might be an especially good match for the Journey or Cargo which have a much deeper, darker sound. The extra projection and the type of sound change that seems to accompany the Power Pins---more treble to my ears--might work especially well with these guitars.

On already brighter guitars, I suspect it will enhance the brightness as well as sound output. Depending on the players preference--that could be a plus or minus.

Really, the only way to know would be to try them. They are $50 on Amazon and I thought the difference I heard was sufficient that I might give them a try in the future. I only worry about being sure that I would install it carefully so as to not damage the bridge. Thankfully, CF is pretty rugged.

Typically, with just trying different standard pins, bone, brass, tusc, etc., I hadn't found videos where there was a real noticeable difference to my ears. The Power Pins were an exception in that I felt I could hear a real difference after listening to several independent tests. Again, whether the change in sound is what the player likes or doesn't will be known only after testing. I should think you could resell the Power Pins easily enough.

There is one other advantage I see, and that is eliminating the need for pins altogether and that added simplicity is attractive to me. The Power Pins give you the equivalent of a pinless bridge. I think I might like that if I'm also happy with the sound change.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I just did a youtube search and found a few before and after comparison videos. the Pins do seem to increase the projection noticeably to my surprise, but the quality of the sound seems to change as well. So I think it depends on your guitar and if the guitar + Pin combination is satisfying to you or not.

After viewing several of the videos, I think Power Pins might be an especially good match for the Journey or Cargo which have a much deeper, darker sound. The extra projection and the type of sound change that seems to accompany the Power Pins---more treble to my ears--might work especially well with these guitars.

On already brighter guitars, I suspect it will enhance the brightness as well as sound output. Depending on the players preference--that could be a plus or minus.

Really, the only way to know would be to try them. They are $50 on Amazon and I thought the difference I heard was sufficient that I might give them a try in the future. I only worry about being sure that I would install it carefully so as to not damage the bridge. Thankfully, CF is pretty rugged.

Typically, with just trying different standard pins, bone, brass, tusc, etc., I hadn't found videos where there was a real noticeable difference to my ears. The Power Pins were an exception in that I felt I could hear a real difference after listening to several independent tests. Again, whether the change in sound is what the player likes or doesn't will be known only after testing. I should think you could resell the Power Pins easily enough.

There is one other advantage I see, and that is eliminating the need for pins altogether and that added simplicity is attractive to me. The Power Pins give you the equivalent of a pinless bridge. I think I might like that if I'm also happy with the sound change.
Also read AGF member posts about them which includes debate with the developer of the PPs.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Also read AGF member posts about them which includes debate with the developer of the PPs.
Thanks. I should read those first before doing anything else.

Youtube videos were a good start--but left me with a few questions. Hopefully all the details and unanswered questions were covered in those threads.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
The Pearse armrest looks good and natural on the body, IMO. I used one on a traditional wood guitar many years ago and it really helped with the ergonomics for me...
Actually the Pearse armrests are more about keeping the players arm off the soundboard than ergonomics, but man find them comfortable. There have been many discussions on this where some members actually felt that arm bevels, the ones that actually cut in to the body of the guitar, actually allow too much contact with the soundboard.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 AM

None of the guitars with bevels that I have ever played have the bevel far enough round towards the end pin for the natural resting position of my long, lanky ol' arm.

With the honourable exception of the Stratocaster.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Actually the Pearse armrests are more about keeping the players arm off the soundboard than ergonomics, but man find them comfortable. There have been many discussions on this where some members actually felt that arm bevels, the ones that actually cut in to the body of the guitar, actually allow too much contact with the soundboard.
Hi Ted,

Not to take this off-topic, but I find a built-in arm bevel enhances my guitar playing experience, making it far more comfortable to not rest my arm on the soundboard. Taylor used to only offer an arm bevel on their most expensive Presentation Series guitars (gorgeous!), but now has them standard on their entry level Academy line; made possible to do so relatively inexpensively since the Academy line has no binding.

Those who have tried my guitars with a designed-in arm bevel have commented on the comfort.

To bring this back to CF, the Journey RoadTrip also has a bevel, as I recall. As a Taylor and Journey dealer, what's your take on that? Style exercise or something customers are asking for?

TIA.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I've had a couple different guitars with built in arm bevels and I never found issues with having too much contact with the soundboard. Since, for my playing style, my arm rest on the edge, not over and on the sound board, the bevel is a lifesaver. Without the bevel, I compensate to avoid pain and place much more of my arm on the sound board than I do if there is a built in bevel. So it is exactly opposite for me. The bevel is an improvement all around for my playing.

If I have a guitar without the bevel (currently I don't) I would immediately get the Pearse armrest--not for the acoustic benefits, but for the ergonomic benefit. Each player's style of holding the guitar plus their overall body fit to a particular sized guitar, will dictate whether or not a bevel, or Pearse armrest, or nothing at all, is best for them. No right or wrong--better or worse. Each player needs to decide what works best for them.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hi Ted,

Not to take this off-topic, but I find a built-in arm bevel enhances my guitar playing experience, making it far more comfortable to not rest my arm on the soundboard. Taylor used to only offer an arm bevel on their most expensive Presentation Series guitars (gorgeous!), but now has them standard on their entry level Academy line; made possible to do so relatively inexpensively since the Academy line has no binding.

Those who have tried my guitars with a designed-in arm bevel have commented on the comfort.

To bring this back to CF, the Journey RoadTrip also has a bevel, as I recall. As a Taylor and Journey dealer, what's your take on that? Style exercise or something customers are asking for?

TIA.
I prefer arm bevels to the Pearse armrest, as I prefer less bulk to more, but larger players may not feel the same way. Basically if you want your guitar to feel smaller, an arm bevel will make that happen. If you find yourself muting the soundboard, the Pearse arm rest will take care of that problem.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
None of the guitars with bevels that I have ever played have the bevel far enough round towards the end pin for the natural resting position of my long, lanky ol' arm.

With the honourable exception of the Stratocaster.
Have you tried a CF with a bevel yet? Mine is the most comfortable (acoustic) guitar I have ever played.

Ted, having great fun with the uke strap you recommended a few weeks ago. It holds the uke a little higher than where I like the strings to be, but that little strap is good enough for what it does.

What do you recommend comfort wise for a Lucky 13? Pearse armrest or nothing? Right now I am OK with nothing, but my the guitar does dig into my arm after a while.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

mine got pretty hot doing this a couple weeks ago

https://youtu.be/-41QX-2wRTo
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber