The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-10-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
I just strolled into Sam Ash on 34th Street in NYC, and they had a couple carbon fiber guitars. I've never played one, so I picked up a McPherson Touring Guitar. Holy mother of god, this thing sounded awesome!!! Thats' all.
Did you buy it? Going to nyc in a few months. I'll try one if its there.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
As it seems to stay in his closet, maybe that says quite a bit. j/k, I'm sure it's a fine guitar.
Very observant oh wise one.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedu View Post
I had an Emerald X-7 for years. For years because I just could never get on with it. I sold it (for more than my original purchase price. Thank you Reverb.com) and replaced it with an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RCE. Maybe I just like larger solid wood guitars but I enjoy the Epiphone which was about half the price so much more. My son who has an amazing set of ears told me how glad he was that I got rid of the carbon fibre guitar.

Shame because with the locking tuners, it stayed in tune for weeks. Pretty much once the strings were thoroughly stretched and settled in, it would maintain tuning until it was time to change strings. It was incredibly headstock heavy. Those locking tuners were a double edge sword. I just found that guitar uncomfortable, too trebly (is that a word?) and it had the absolutely ugliest bridge design in the history of guitars. I wanted so badly to love it but it wasn't for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hear that X7 didn't work out for you, by the way this thread is about McPherson CF guitars. They are different makers.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-11-2017 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Just curious...how long ago did you have the Emerald X7 and what year was it made? Have you checked out the new ones? Yours is the first negative review I've read about the X7 where the newer ones are being very well received. You may want to search some threads about it.
Locking tuners go way back in time for Emerald X7--back when it was the center hole design. Not sure if any of the X7-OS (Offset Sound hole--later renamed again to just "X7" when the center hole was retired) ever had locking tuners at the start or not. I don't recall they did.

My first X7 years ago (center hole design) had locking tuners which were, IMO, a bit bulky & heavy.

There have been many, many subtle changes and improvements to the builds and the sound board from those first X7 days. Every CF builder goes through a process of tweaking and improving or changing the sound for various reasons.

Sometimes it's announced like the revision of the Lucky 13 years ago--usually it's not.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:20 AM

Here is an old video about the McPherson (Kevin Michael ) I found. There are 2 being played in the beginning as in the ending. A prototype and the Road Tripper from MacNichol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH5zdnqNh6I

I have a few CF guitars and should get to them more I know. Been playing with 3 RainSongs last couple months..and play piano mostly

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 05-11-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Locking tuners go way back in time for Emerald X7--back when it was the center hole design. Not sure if any of the X7-OS (Offset Sound hole--later renamed again to just "X7" when the center hole was retired) ever had locking tuners at the start or not. I don't recall they did.

My first X7 years ago (center hole design) had locking tuners which were, IMO, a bit bulky & heavy.

There have been many, many subtle changes and improvements to the builds and the sound board from those first X7 days. Every CF builder goes through a process of tweaking and improving or changing the sound for various reasons.

Sometimes it's announced like the revision of the Lucky 13 years ago--usually it's not.
It is funny that it is the direct opposite of wood guitars as they age the wood opens up and sounds better... with CF guitars the newer designs improves the sound and playability....
Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
It is funny that it is the direct opposite of wood guitars as they age the wood opens up and sounds better... with CF guitars the newer designs improves the sound and playability....
CF guitars are just like Fixed gear you know? Haha.

You really got to engineer it right.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I had an Emerald X-7 for years. For years because I just could never get on with it. I sold it (for more than my original purchase price. Thank you Reverb.com) and replaced it with an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RCE. Maybe I just like larger solid wood guitars but I enjoy the Epiphone which was about half the price so much more. My son who has an amazing set of ears told me how glad he was that I got rid of the carbon fibre guitar.

Shame because with the locking tuners, it stayed in tune for weeks. Pretty much once the strings were thoroughly stretched and settled in, it would maintain tuning until it was time to change strings. It was incredibly headstock heavy. Those locking tuners were a double edge sword. I just found that guitar uncomfortable, too trebly (is that a word?) and it had the absolutely ugliest bridge design in the history of guitars. I wanted so badly to love it but it wasn't for me.

Not surprising a wood full size slope dred would blow away any carbon travel guitar.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-11-2017, 06:13 AM

And I was in that exact Sam Ash on April 23rd and the only CF they had in stock was an older 14 fret RainSong Parlor...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-11-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
Did you buy it? Going to nyc in a few months. I'll try one if its there.
I did not buy it, so hopefully it'll still be there when you go! If i had 2400 in my pocket, i would have grabbed it.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry, what's the relevance to this thread?
Old 05-11-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
And I was in that exact Sam Ash on April 23rd and the only CF they had in stock was an older 14 fret RainSong Parlor...
Yup, that one was still there. As well as another Rainsong, but i didn't take note of what the other one was.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:36 AM

I have been interested in a Mcpherson Sable myself, but could never find one to play. I wound up with a Composite Acoustics Legacy instead. I would still be interested in impressions for the Mcpherson as compared to the Legacy.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
..I have a few CF guitars and should get to them more I know. Been playing with 3 RainSongs last couple months..and play piano mostly

Like you, I also have more than I "need", so many of mine stay in my climate controlled guitar closet for extended periods. Which reminds me, my Martin D-45V, given to me by Helene has been in there for a while, I better take it out and play it a little before she starts thinking I don't like it.

BTW, love that car in your video.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Sounds like my CA gxi.

https://youtu.be/ZM4dBigGMck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber