The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-24-2017, 02:29 PM

The other thing is that I don't think Ervin appreciates the whole internet forum free for all.... Especially not the nit picking of his ideas.... And the attendant ease with which anonymous trolls can throw rocks at seasoned pro's who are at the top of the field.... He participated in several forums around the runup to pushing his book and then I think he kinda got tired of it.

I mean the fellow can endlessly fill up voicing classes at $4k+ per person ..... And then have somebody who has never picked up a chisel or a guitar top throw rocks because he read something that sounds like it contradicts what he thinks Ervin is doing....
Old 05-25-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit Laskin View Post
Interesting discussion. If any of my in-process work appears here it's because it's being built for a dealer, such as Trevor at Acoustic Music Co. England, and is more generic in theme. When I'm building for an individual, which is 90% of my work, I am reluctant to show the world on this forum (or Facebook) what I'm building. I feel I owe it to my customer to give him/her the first viewing of the guitar they are paying for. This applies for the wood choices, and even more so for the Inlay Art which is always drawing from a personal theme (sometimes VERY personal) to each client, and the idea that some strangers get to see a design before they do just doesn't wash with me.
Ervin and others who don't document their construction processes may have their own reasons , but this is mine.
Cheers, Grit
So perhaps the better question is, you somogyi owners out there, why don't you post new guitar days or photos/recordings/unboxings etc.. here?

Its strange because there are many apprentice builds/discussions, but just so few actual Somogyi threads when you search google. You will only pull up a handful, one gentleman that has five or so, but he is the only guy it seems.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:01 AM

Ervin's builds for TAMCO just posted here.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=471077
Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 AM

I notice that for guitars costing more than 20k onwards I do not recall more than one or two at most posters posting build threads and for some there have never been any to my recollection. These include luthiers like tj Thompson, somogyi, kim Walker and John monteleone. Statistically there must be at least a sizeable number of people who ordered from them who are members of this forum, but for some reason they feel less need to post about their custom builds. I won't hazard suggesting a reason for this Conundrum except only to point it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
As one who documents about half his work here, I want to respond by saying that while most of my design work could not be called highly personal and does not require discretion, I usually do put any creative work in front of the customer
(assuming there is one) before it shows up here.

Most of my customer driven work that is seen here is seen because the customer WANTS to be involved in the community. Those who require discretion (rare but it happens) you never hear about at all.

Another aspect of of a build thread here is that it gives the instrument itself provenance. I imagine that in many cases, should the original customer inexplicable desire to sell down the line, some of their potential customer base has some prior knowledge of the specific instrument and that should be a good thing.

Basically, build threads are about community building. IMO, I suggest that Ervin does much of his community building via his apprentices rather than his customers and potential customers. Whatever it is, it works for him.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:18 PM

Ervin Somogyi and other luthiers possibly don't consider the forums as important and necessary as speaking with their clients directly. The use of internet is something that requires lots of time, time that possibly he preffers to enjoy building guitars for their customers or just writing or ... have a look at his web and his blog section to read last post and all those doubts will be explained.
I bought the books he wrote some years ago, that was the oportunity to understand him and his guitars. I consider that is absolutly detailed/transparent book and a must read for all luthier guitar lovers.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:01 AM

I wish those who commission a build would post on the guitar as it is being built to give us a window into the process - unless of course if somogyi doesn't share any photos or info even with the customer until the guitar is finished. If so that would be a pity because imho, as far as where somogyi's builds are concerned, when it is one of his good ones, the resulting guitar is going to be among the very best guitars in the world for fingerstyle. I certainly have never played one better.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

This is just one reason we should all really appreciate the time and effort some builders put into the documentation and sharing of their build process, and their willingness to interact with this forum - it takes a fair bit of time and effort to do it, and I know I would never even consider taking the time or making the effort to document one of my projects.

But while Ervin may not take the time, or make the effort on this forum, between his books and his openness to share his designs, process, and general philosophy to the members of the Northern Cal Luthiers Association, who have had a number of meetings at his shop, he is certainly not trying to keep anything secret or proprietary - last time I talked to him, he was looking for a part time assistant to handle much of his correspondence and paperwork, as it was taking too much of his time away from his building and teaching, which are his real focus -
Old 05-28-2017, 09:47 PM

Lets order one and make a build thread
Old 05-29-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
This is just one reason we should all really appreciate the time and effort some builders put into the documentation and sharing of their build process, and their willingness to interact with this forum - it takes a fair bit of time and effort to do it, and I know I would never even consider taking the time or making the effort to document one of my projects.

But while Ervin may not take the time, or make the effort on this forum, between his books and his openness to share his designs, process, and general philosophy to the members of the Northern Cal Luthiers Association, who have had a number of meetings at his shop, he is certainly not trying to keep anything secret or proprietary - last time I talked to him, he was looking for a part time assistant to handle much of his correspondence and paperwork, as it was taking too much of his time away from his building and teaching, which are his real focus -
Must be nice. Since starting down this building rabbit hole four years ago I met a luthier once.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Fred: it sounds like it's time for you to attend one of the many shows.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Fred: it sounds like it's time for you to attend one of the many shows.
I have thought of it. Calgary is doing a show, only 13 hour drive.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

I haven't heard about Calgary. You'd probably like to attend one where the major builders are likely to be. Santa Barbara is a great place to spend a few days even without a guitar show. SBAIC will be at the end of August this year and the weather is likely to be perfect, neither too hot nor too cold. There is an airport. You'd have a meaningful chance of winning a walnut Sexauer guitar.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:15 PM

SBAIC sounds cool, nice looking city. I don't think this year will be in the cards for me, hopefully next time.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
Lets order one and make a build thread
600 of us can donate $50 each. When completed we have a raffle. :-) 600-1 are pretty good odds for $30,000.

(Moderators - This is humor, not an actual lottery.)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
600 of us can donate $50 each. When completed we have a raffle. :-) 600-1 are pretty good odds for $30,000.

(Moderators - This is humor, not an actual lottery.)
That'd be the raffle of the century.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop