The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-23-2017, 06:17 AM

Default US Customs Rant

I bought a high-end electric guitar from a very reputable boutique builder overseas. The builder and his US distributor or as both have been wonderful - very helpful and doing everything they can to move things along.

However, the guitar was shipped Fed-Ex on April 21st - over a month ago. The Fed-Ex driver didn't recognize the multi-part CITES forms and tossed some of them. As a result, the guitar sat in the UK for two weeks whilst the builder completed new forms and they found their way to UK customs. The guitar flew overnight to Memphis TN on May 5th and has been sitting there ever since. Apparently we're waiting on Customs and US Fish and Wildlife to clear the guitar into the US. Why that should take close to three weeks - and counting - is beyond me.

Soooooo frustrating. Has anyone else had experience with trying to import instruments recently?

Ironically, I've imported vintage guitars with Brazilian RW bodies and one with ivory binding, tuning knobs and bridge pegs with no problems. That was several years ago, but still...

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 05-23-2017, 06:33 AM

Even decades ago when I was an air freight part-time worker and then a manager in manufacturing some things in customs took a long time because there was not always the combination of expertise and staff for items. My guess is that may not have changed. Where I work now they imported a machine and work with food importers and it appears some common things are streamlined and others not.

One of my kids passionate about plants has ordered things from overseas sellers and we see customs was part of the delay.

I even wonder of a strong jobs market impacts stuff like this. When I mentioned among friends about the challenges to find a human or few with a clue we can also afford they said same thing is going on where they work. Basically high level candidates and low level candidates and challenges in the middle.

Of course none of that solves a world that's let us have instant gratification for lots of stuff. When I was a kid, teen and younger, stuff that interested me really was mail order and I waited up to months to get stuff.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

US customs have a difficult job, and are not overly staffed to handle all of which enters the country, some of it truly bad and dangerous (not your guitar), as thoroughly or efficiently as they would like, I’m sure.
In my dealings with them, the most important was always to make sure the paperwork they expect to see accompanying the item was in order. That, and being truthful with any follow-up questions that could arise. The same applies when leaving or entering the country as travelers.
In this case, the paperwork trail was not as clean as it should have been due to shoddy Fedex errors overseas. It was corrected, hopefully properly, but that always raises flags.
I suspect it might have delayed things. I’m sure you’ll get your guitar soon. (and congrats!).

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-23-2017, 07:13 AM

There was also a recent hacking of computer systems at companies world wide... Including FedEx..

That might explain some of the delay's in the later part of the processing of your shipment.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-23-2017, 07:45 AM

Importing anything, to almost every country, can be cumbersome. It sounds like it has more to do with the loss of the original paperwork than U.S. Customs. It's certainly not their fault that paperwork that should have accompanied the instrument was discarded prior to its arrival to the U.S. Regardless, I hope you get your guitar quickly.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:56 AM

I no longer sell to Canada because I once had a $150 fishing reel sit in Canadian Customs for almost 2 months. No reason to think this also couldn't happen with a guitar, which in either summer or winter would be terrifying.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:13 AM

The CITES paperwork was redone before the guitar left the UK - with the paperwork. It shouldn't have anything to do with the delay here.

I used to work in transportation and logistics including air freight for import and export. I have this nightmare vision, sadly based on experience, of the guitar sitting in a corner of Fed Ex's vast Memphis facility with other stuff piled on top of it, forklifts backing into it, etc. Logically I know that's not likely the case, but I'll be much happier when I have it in hand.

Guitars:

1920 Martin 1-28
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Frustrating indeed. I used to send stuff to a missionary pilot I knew in the Congo. Their customs could care less about the forms, but in lieu of that delay, they insisted on you paying a bribe to get it released. That is, if they didn't steal it first.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 05-23-2017, 12:28 PM

I feel your pain. Since the new CITES in January, I've imported a bunch of guitars from several countries—England, Ireland, Germany, Canada. Some have gone lickety-split. FedEx and DHL have been the fastest to process. Some were ready to ship in January and only shipped in the last couple of weeks because of CITES headaches.

I've rarely encountered the "stuck in F&W awaiting clearance" scenario, and every single time I do, it's either A) Missing Lacey (not CITES) paperwork that fell out during transit, easily re-sent electronically, or B) I forgot to renew my multiple import permits in a timely fashion.

Either one of those is easily remedied—it might be worth checking with your importer to make sure their permits are up to date.

Good luck!
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 05-23-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
I've rarely encountered the "stuck in F&W awaiting clearance" scenario, and every single time I do, it's either A) Missing Lacey (not CITES) paperwork that fell out during transit, easily re-sent electronically, or B) I forgot to renew my multiple import permits in a timely fashion.

Either one of those is easily remedied—it might be worth checking with your importer to make sure their permits are up to date.

Good luck!
Great suggestion. Thanks.

Guitars:

1920 Martin 1-28
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Old 05-27-2017, 06:15 AM

Apparently there are three separate agencies that have to pass off on the import. Two of the three have approved. Hopefully it won't be much longer. The builder, Damian Probett, and the dealer, Doug Meyer of Mountain Cat Guitars have been fantastic.

Guitars:

1920 Martin 1-28
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Old 05-27-2017, 04:48 PM

Too political. I think.

Mike

Last edited by guitargoat; 05-28-2017 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 05-28-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargoat View Post
Too political. I think.

Mike
Agreed. I'm just looking forward to getting the guitar.

Guitars:

1920 Martin 1-28
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Old 05-28-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
Agreed. I'm just looking forward to getting the guitar.
I was referring to my post that I edited. I was being too political. Good luck with getting the guitar. Hope everything works out.

Mike
Old 05-28-2017, 08:47 PM

Maybe there are a few strummers and fingerstyle players in Customs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic