The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-17-2017, 04:09 AM

Default Need your tips and expertise

Is there a simple/easy solution to get to the EQ battery inside your sound hole? Is there a easy way?

I just purchased a used OMC-28 with the 'Ellipse Aura' in it, and it is a pain getting to the battery. All my other guitars have K&K, never had to worry about changing batteries. So if you have a easy solution, I'd really appreciate it. Cheers

Last edited by fongie; 05-17-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:25 PM

Sidenote: 102 views and zero responses. A perfect example of maybe using a more informative subject line, like "Any tips on changing Ellipse Aura batteries?" Just trying to help (and you can change the thread title in the advanced edit feature if you want to)...

That being said, I know there are often lots of battery-changing issues in PU-equipped guitars -- like my Larrivee, that I literally have to de-string to switch batteries. Good luck!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Sidenote: 102 views and zero responses. A perfect example of maybe using a more informative subject line, like "Any tips on changing Ellipse Aura batteries?" Just trying to help (and you can change the thread title in the advanced edit feature if you want to)...

That being said, I know there are often lots of battery-changing issues in PU-equipped guitars -- like my Larrivee, that I literally have to de-string to switch batteries. Good luck!
Thank you Slewis, maybe there is no easy way, I think de-stringing is the only alternative. Cheers again mate.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:26 AM

Not going to lie, you need to be careful, but on occasion I have used long needle nosed pliers to go in and grab the battery holder and pull it off the velcro to the sound hole and out the side to change the battery. Then put it back the same way. It's not ideal and you can scratch around the sound hole if you're not very careful. Something like this: https://store.snapon.com/Long-Reach-...--P634216.aspx but what I used was much less expensive.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:07 AM

I would just do it during a string change once or twice a year.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
I would just do it during a string change once or twice a year.
^ That.

One piece of advice: get you an instrument battery tester and ask Fishman what the minimum voltage is that the unit requires to operate.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:10 PM

Thanks guys.........I think I will do just that, when changing strings. Cheers Akafloyd.

Robj, never crossed my mind Not a bad idea, maybe something like a stainless steel surgical implement can also do the job. I have a few of these gadgets laying around. Do you loosen the high e and b strings first?

Midwinter, thanks. Yes, I have thought of one of these testers. I have read somewhere on the UMGF I think, that these battery testers do wonders. But the 'Ellipse' and I'm sure other expensive Fishman EQ/pickups has a warning signal light built in it should the battery is getting low in charge and needs changing. But it's not a bad idea to have one anyway.

I've often wondered why these batteries are placed in difficult, hard to get places. Is there are reason for it, do you know? Why not just below the inside of the sound hole? Will that be putting to much weight on the top? It's got me beaten. Cheers again guys
Old 05-18-2017, 03:10 PM

If you don't want to lose your strings - loosen them all, put a capo across all the strings at the 10th fret, pull all the bridge pins - sweep the string ends away or hole them with another capo, access the sound hole, do what needs doing, then reinsert the ball ends, bridge pins, and tune 'er back up.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthdan View Post
If you don't want to lose your strings - loosen them all, put a capo across all the strings at the 10th fret, pull all the bridge pins - sweep the string ends away or hole them with another capo, access the sound hole, do what needs doing, then reinsert the ball ends, bridge pins, and tune 'er back up.
Thank you Duiuthdan, I totally forgotten about that. My Luthier have done work on my guitar in the past and I have seen him do that. Cheers for that, much appreciated.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:33 AM

Just capo the strings and then loosen enough to get your hand inside. The capo keeps the tension on tuners s to avoid slippage.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 05-20-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earri View Post
Just capo the strings and then loosen enough to get your hand inside. The capo keeps the tension on tuners s to avoid slippage.
Cheers, I will do that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification