The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Guest 1478

Sean at Emerald presented me today with images of some pieces of quilted maple to pick from for the top on my soon to be X20. It's great to be able to make ones own choice rather than the "this is what you're getting" approach. To me this highlights the level of customer satisfaction Emerald embraces as part of their ethic.
Choosing the timber takes the excitement/anticipation factor to a new level.
Waiting...waiting...
Old 05-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Guest 928

X;

Me too. The veneer options are ravishing.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtjohn View Post
Sean at Emerald presented me today with images of some pieces of quilted maple to pick from for the top on my soon to be X20. It's great to be able to make ones own choice rather than the "this is what you're getting" approach. To me this highlights the level of customer satisfaction Emerald embraces as part of their ethic.
Waiting...waiting...
Good to know another fellow Aussie joining the Emerald club. Congrats, can't wait to see and hear about it when you get yours.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Waiting...waiting...
Congrats John!

I have also gone through some detailed email exchanges with Sean, and am very happy to work together with him to how the veneer is being book-matched for my Woody T8. Very unexpected but very happy outcome as compared to what I have in mind initially.

I am now very tempted to showcase the veneer here with all the woodys' discussion going on but think I will hold back till the day the guitar arrives, and I will unleash a "tease and release" segment for all you guys!
Old 05-08-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
Congrats John!

I have also gone through some detailed email exchanges with Sean, and am very happy to work together with him to how the veneer is being book-matched for my Woody T8. Very unexpected but very happy outcome as compared to what I have in mind initially.

I am now very tempted to showcase the veneer here with all the woodys' discussion going on but think I will hold back till the day the guitar arrives, and I will unleash a "tease and release" segment for all you guys!
Release one now Jimmy, the wait for all these Emeralds to pop up are just too much suspense.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Guest 928

Pandaroo is right, give us a glimpse. A glimpse will not ruin the effect of the ultimate product but will give us a chance to congratulate you on your good taste.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Pandaroo is right, give us a glimpse. A glimpse will not ruin the effect of the ultimate product but will give us a chance to congratulate you on your good taste.
Hi Evan, check out my thread with new updates. Won't want to hijack this thread here.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
…Woody T8.
Wait, what?

I actually checked the date of your post to make sure I wasn't caught up in some old thread.

So obviously this is a custom order. It's nice to know that Alistair will blow the cobwebs off an old mold if somebody wants something bad enough.

EDIT: Oh, never mind… I just saw your build thread and am up to date.

Last edited by Uncle Pauhana; 05-09-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:58 AM
Guest 1478

Well, the Emerald siblings have arrived!
The guitars miraculously circumvented the customs dept (so a BIG $ saving there) and arrived at the post office yesterday.
Kay and I were crazy excited last evening opening the boxes and revealing the treasures that awaited within.

Kay's X7, red with Crystal Ice back & sides, and LR Baggs pickup.
My X20, Amber Quilted maple woody with Crystal Ice back & sides and Baggs Anthem pickup.
It's apparent that the team at Emerald go all out to provide excellent customer service & satisfaction. The guitars were extremely well packed and the little extras included really made the opening a special occasion (I had a cold bottle of bubbly ready to christen the Emerald mugs with).
I must say these instruments are just beautiful seen in the flesh and the fit & finish is superb.
We had a short play last night and a swap to play each others but it was getting late so had to call it a day.
My first impressions are the Emeralds sound even better than I had hoped.
I was not too keen to get an X7 for myself because I have trouble coming to terms with the tone of small guitars but the X7 sounds fantastic! To my ear it's much nicer and fuller sounding than the Taylor GS Mini's I have played. I can see an X7 in my future!
The X20 is going to get a good workout this evening but on first impressions
I'd say it is a large step up in sound from my Taylor 314ce (which I love dearly).

Anyway, A big thank you to all forum members who furnished me with info on the Emeralds and to Sean and the team at Emerald Who have made this entire process an absolute pleasure.

m

Last edited by Guest 1478; 07-11-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Well, the Emerald siblings have arrived!
The guitars miraculously circumvented the customs dept (so a BIG $ saving there) and arrived at the post office yesterday.
Kay and I were crazy excited last evening opening the boxes and revealing the treasures that awaited within.

Kay's X7, red with Crystal Ice back & sides, and LR Baggs pickup.
My X20, Amber Quilted maple woody with Crystal Ice back & sides and Baggs Anthem pickup.
It's apparent that the team at Emerald go all out to provide excellent customer service & satisfaction. The guitars were extremely well packed and the little extras included really made the opening a special occasion (I had a cold bottle of bubbly ready to christen the Emerald mugs with).
I must say these instruments are just beautiful seen in the flesh and the fit & finish is superb.
We had a short play last night and a swap to play each others but it was getting late so had to call it a day.
My first impressions are the Emeralds sound even better than I had hoped.
I was not too keen to get an X7 because I have trouble coming to terms with the tone of small guitars but the X7 sounds fantastic! To my ear it's much nicer and fuller sounding than the Taylor GS Mini's I have played. I can see an X7 in my future!
The X20 is going to get a good workout this evening but on first impressions
I'd say it is a large step up in sound from my Taylor 314ce (which I love dearly).

Anyway, A big thank you to all forum members who furnished me with info on the Emeralds and to Sean and the team at Emerald Who have made this entire process an absolute pleasure.

m

Congrats on your new Emeralds. This is interesting, I wonder if Ireland has some kind of a trade agreement with Australia as my Emerald also bypassed the customs. I have ordered countless guitars from other countries and always get hit by customs.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Congrats on your new Emeralds. This is interesting, I wonder if Ireland has some kind of a trade agreement with Australia as my Emerald also bypassed the customs. I have ordered countless guitars from other countries and always get hit by customs.
I believe Alistair explained this in another thread, it's an old Irish mind trick.
The mugs are the key to it I believe. They somehow say to the customs guys "These are not the guitars you are looking for ...."

Old 07-11-2017, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, xtJohn! There is probably a name for the moment when you open the box, take in the beauty, pick it up, and... find out the sound is even better than you hoped!

Very cool that the guitars you and your friend ordered at the same time, arrived at the same time - nice to share that experience. And, fun that you were able to play, exchange, and play some more... those two guitars are an interesting comparison and compliment.

Enjoy! And, when you can, photos of both are always appreciated.

Jim
Old 07-11-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I believe Alistair explained this in another thread, it's an old Irish mind trick.
The mugs are the key to it I believe. They somehow say to the customs guys "These are not the guitars you are looking for ...."
"All your base are belong to us".....
Old 07-11-2017, 02:33 PM

I know this is a bit after the fact, but jwhelan56's Lake Tahoe special gave me an idea that fits in with the title of this thread, so...

Emerald's use of translucent colors, instead of opaque colors, is what allows all of this veneer magic to happen. So what would happen if the veneer was replaced with a single layer of pure opaque white, and a translucent burst like the Lake Tahoe special was applied?

Ambient incident light would be partially reflected off the pigment and seen by the eye as a slight hint of color. The incident light that is not reflected would pick up the color, bounce off the white, pass through the color again, become more intense, and emerge as if the perceived light source was inside the guitar and the guitar was made of stained glass. Also, with the light traveling two paths of different lengths, reflected and transmitted, the possibility of phasing is introduced that may produce phantom colors that aren't even in the pigment.

Does eye candy qualify as food for thought?

Last edited by Tom2; 07-11-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
I know this is a bit after the fact, but jwhelan56's Lake Tahoe special gave me an idea that fits in with the title of this thread, so...

Emerald's use of translucent colors, instead of opaque colors, is what allows all of this veneer magic to happen. So what would happen if the veneer was replaced with a single layer of pure opaque white, and a translucent burst like the Lake Tahoe special was applied?

Ambient incident light would be partially reflected off the pigment and seen by the eye as a slight hint of color. The incident light that is not reflected would pick up the color, bounce off the white, pass through the color again, become more intense, and emerge as if the perceived light source was inside the guitar and the guitar was made of stained glass. Also, with the light traveling two paths of different lengths, reflected and transmitted, the possibility of phasing is introduced that may produce phantom colors that aren't even in the pigment.

Does eye candy qualify as food for thought?
I'm all for you commissioning one to try it out! Seriously, it sure would be interesting to see if it would play out as you suspect, and could look real cool. It would also be neat to experiment with finishes such are actually done with some cars where the paint changes color depending on the angle viewed in varying light.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber