The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
The best, most reliable British sports car you can own is a Mazda Miata. Been driving them for 20+ years. Airbags, ABS, AC, etc. Replace tires and change oil.

My first car was a 1958 MGA. I learned auto repair in self defense.

No MG is a daily driver.

You can get parts from Moss Motors: https://mossmotors.com/mg-midget-austin-healey-sprite
You beat me to it. Exactly what I would recommend as well.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
The best, most reliable British sports car you can own is a Mazda Miata...
Dirty Little Secret of the Day: First- and second-generation Miatas will accommodate the stock running gear from a similar-year 5.0 Mustang with relatively few structural modifications - beefed-up suspension/frame, narrowed Ford 9" rear, upgraded cooling system, tranny tunnel mods if you opt for the automatic (the street/strip guys prefer them), wheel/tire package - and no body panel work. Completely street-legal BTW (as long as you retain the OEM Ford emissions equipment), and back in the '90s I heard tell of a couple guys who put a mild tune on theirs (~400 HP), took out some unnecessary weight, turned mid-10's @ ~130 - and it looked almost dead-stock (except for the requisite rollbar); great for making a little spare cash on Saturday night, if you're so inclined - get a car length on that dude in the Lambo, and watch his facial expression in your rear-view mirror as he tries to catch you...
Old 03-11-2018, 10:01 PM

Have you tried to get into one? I did, back in the 60's. No amount of WD-40 could get me to slip into the driver's seat !

Other posts suggesting Japanese sports cars is a good idea. The Miata is widely available.

Brucebubs - That's a gorgeous looking Datsun. Oddly, they were seldom seen here in the US.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G View Post

Brucebubs - That's a gorgeous looking Datsun. Oddly, they were seldom seen here in the US.
There were more sold in the USA than any other country in the world.
The U-20 two liter engine was sold in a de-tuned 135hp version for the US market however the full 150hp kit (twin side draught carbs + more aggressive cam) was available from US Datsun dealers.
All Japanese and Australian right-hand drive 2-liter versions were the full factory fitted 150hp.
-disc brakes
-5 speed

Killed off by the world wide success of the 240Z.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-11-2018, 10:36 PM

I've owned a '52 MGTD since 1969. I think it's the best looking open roadster generally available to the typical small sportscar enthusiast.

If I had to go modern, I think the 2017 Miata and the 2001 M Roadster would be a tossup.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:46 PM
Humanist

MG LE50

http://www.frontlinedevelopments.com/vehicle/mg-le50/
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-11-2018, 11:44 PM

My brother had a mid 60's black midget in the late 60's, it blew up twice.
I had an Austin Healy 3000, wonderful car, but you need to be mechanical.
I'd get a Mini Cooper or a Miata w/ manual transmission. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

My sophomore through senior years of college, I had a red '63 Triumph TR3-A. What a fun car to drive. Unfortunately, one of my girlfriends rolled it on the entry to our college, on the way home from a local bar. It landed upside down, and I climbed out through the side window space. A guy came up who had seen the accident, and the two of us flipped the car upright so my girlfriend could get out. Miraculously we were both okay. My parents didn't appreciate getting a call early the next morning from the college, asking about the wrecked car. I added some oil, and bent the fender enough to get the car drivable. The insurance company called to say that I would be getting a check to cover the broken windshield, and I used the money to buy a keg of beer for a party.

At the end of the spring semester, I drove to Florida with a friend, and we flew to Jamaica for a three week vacation. I wasted the rest of the summer trying to finish my degree, with no success. Those were pretty intense and crazy times. One positive thing was getting really good on the harmonica. I had the car fixed enough to sell it for $500, and went back to Jamaica for more fun. A year later I got into some serious legal trouble, which motivated me to straighten up my life, go back to college, and graduate with honors.

Every so often I see one on the road, and it brings back such fond memories of that car. Cruising with the top down, driving on curvy rural roads, feeling so young and free, and blissfully unaware of the consequences I would face from my risky behavior. Kind of like that Bob Seger line "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then."
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-12-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I must get my hearing seen to - I thought you said MG LEGO

At £57,900 that LE50 costs about the same as it would to keep an original on the road.

YouTube
Old 03-12-2018, 04:33 AM

My mother had a Midget as her daily transport in the 80's. She used to drive me to school in it.

Well that's not entirely true. She attempted to take me to school in it, but we usually went in the Range Rover when the Midget refused to start.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:19 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Seen at a local British sportscar club meet, on the bumper of a bug-eyed Sprite:

Perhaps you'd consider a MINI Cooper. Here's mine in 2006:

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Seen at a local British sportscar club meet, on the bumper of a bug-eyed Sprite:

Bob
Being an Englishman, I find that sticker very offensive - That flag is completely wrong!

YouTube
Old 03-12-2018, 06:53 AM

Last time I took my Acura in for scheduled service, the dealer had a used Lotus Elise on the lot for sale. Pretty spartan,and very tiny. Like a 300bhp go kart. Even knowing the potential grief, I was tempted.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:07 AM

Alfa Romeo is now back in the US. Drove past their dealership and saw the new Spyder. You know you'll regret it, but still....

Old 03-12-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Last time I took my Acura in for scheduled service, the dealer had a used Lotus Elise on the lot for sale. Pretty spartan,and very tiny. Like a 300bhp go kart. Even knowing the potential grief, I was tempted.
This is my son's Type 23 (Limited edition of 50).

No power steering, no servo brakes, need a crow bar to get me in and out of it and the audio system is useless over 50mph - After gripping the steering wheel for a 200 mile trip the fitbit on the wrist clocked up 10,000 steps.......... But I love driving it

Go Kart is correct - go get one.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic