The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 PM

Default NGD MP TELE with a story

Ok, so I have been basically absent from playing for about oh, 20 years or so, I sold my Tele back then and really have not messed with an electric guitar since. But recently our praise and worship band at church lost the acoustic player to College and couldn't seem to replace him with someone available to fill in full time, So that's where I come in, I studied and played both Electric and acoustic 25 years ago and was stage ready back then, although I never really hooked up with a working band I did audition for one and was second choice to the final pick (I thought that was close).

Anyway I talked to the band leader and told him I would be willing to purchase a nice acoustic and join up, and he said great go for it, let me know when you are ready, so long story short I purchased a Yamaha A3R and joined up. Things were going along really well and I was actually having a blast while playing with the team. they have keyboard, drummer, bass player, singers and me.

Now there is also a man in the church that I saw perform by himself with all the skills of any Pro lead player, he played with his electric and played and sounded flawlessly, this man decided to join us last week, so he showed up last Sunday with his gear and low and behold they inadvertently forgot to send him the song list (Yikes, I would not have shown up if it were me) But there he was all plugged in and set up, and ready to play and oh wow did he ever!

Now I have to be honest in that I tried to tune him/them out and just concentrate on my end of the deal (rythum) but from what I heard he was cutting edge awesome!

So Sunday went well and I told him I usually have the songs to practice with and will share the links with him, hoping we could get together and practice and talk guitars etc. Well he said thanks and sure so him and his wife stopped in my shop to meet and chat and as the conversation grew so did our "things in common" list and well what can I say I was thrilled to have a new Christian guitar friend and selfish on my part I was sure (or at least hoped) he would advance my playing etc.

So I mentioned to him while we were talking in about a year I am going to buy a Nashville Tele and he mentioned I probably would like the Modern player better since I told him I would like to have a hum bucker and I agreed. I told him when I am ready I will call him and we will go get one.

So the next day his wife stopped in and was inquiring about a sign for the end of their driveway, well In walks my new friend with a gig bag, he puts it up on my counter opens it up and says isn;t this a beautiful guitar? I answered Yes!

He aid do you know what is the best thing about this guitar?, I answered, no I don't - he said it belongs to you, and also this Yamaha THR10 AMP, I WAS FLOORED!

OK,
So this doesn't happen to me, He pleaded I would accept the gift and it was such a nice guitar I couldn't resist, we spent the rest of the evening playing our songs for this Sunday and I am just on cloud nine with my new Tele!

We have 4 songs in the line up and I plan to use the Tele for 2 of them, I will post how it goes. By the way he got me the Sunburst one and I don't think the pics on the net do it justice.

I am sorry for the rant but I wanted to share the story.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

thats a very cool story and thanks for sharing.

post us some pictures of that Tele, i'm in search of one currently myself.

d
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 PM

Truly--what a great story! Thank you!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Here is the update I promised.

Well, I took the Tele to play at church, I found out the band leader didn't want me to change guitars in the middle of the performance so I had to wait to use it until the last song, (they call up the worship team after the sermon and replay one of the songs), well when I set up the THR10, I used a memory setting on the amp, then I adjusted the volume for the sound crew so they could have more control over my output. Well, I forgot to press the memory button again or use a different memory number so when I got back up on stage and turned the amp back on, I was way too low, I could hear it a little but not how we set it up.

In my defense, I was recoiling from my band leader telling me I can't change guitars between songs, (this will need to be worked out), After rehearsal, I hit the switch on the amp shutting it off, thinking I wasn't going to use it. I then got the idea during the sermon I would grab the Tele for the recall and didn't think about the set up being lost.

But oh well, I will have to work out the kinks to all of this and see where it leads me.
Everyone that picks up this crazy modified Tele with a pine body is nothing but exited and impressed at how bright and clean it sounds. I am having fun.

To cap my story, My friend (the one who gave me the guitar), told me about the time he wanted a Paul Reed Smith guitar and couldn't afford it and his congregation got together and handed him an envelope with 20 $100 dollar bills to buy it, so I am guessing that is where he got the idea.

This guitar is not even a week old and is connected to 2 great stories and has played out already, I hope it is a preview of great things to come. I feel compelled to serve with it.

And to think, last week I had no intention on going back to playing electric whatsoever.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 AM

That's cool!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 AM

What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Great story! Love to hear stuff like this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars