The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Ok, so its a novelty.

No, REALLY, it is. But that didn't keep me from putting it on my Christmas list for several years, until my wife bought it for me:

A) probably so I'd quit asking
B) probably hoping she never has to hear it.

What the heck is it? A Rocktron Banshee Talk Box. Bored already? No? Intrigued? I have written up a review of the sucker and posted it over on my site, HERE, for your reading pleasure.

Enjoy,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 AM

Nice Bob ... good review and examples of classic usage ... now you got me wanting to listen to all those tracks (well maybe I'll pass on that long Frampton track )

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM

that was an enjoyable read and listen. i really liked hearing the early stuff. i actually think the talkbox could be more that a novelty, and there could be some really great stuff done, even in jazz or progressive rock.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks, guys. mc1, I actually agree with you. "Those Shoes" by the Eagles actually kind of proves your point. The use there is quite subtle during most of the song.

Bob

Old 01-14-2013, 01:11 PM

A fascinating little essay on the talkbox. Loved the Peter Drake song
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Great write-up, Bob. I love your reviews.

I was intrigued by your inclusion of PF's "Keep Talking" and remembered that Gilmour used the talk box to great effect (pun semi-intended) on "Pigs", back in 1977.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Ah... the old "talk box" eh? First I hear it used was by Stevie Wonder, and right now I don't recall the actual tune he used it on...

If I remember correctly, it was a device originally designed to help folks who had lost their vocal cords or had them removed, surgically, as a way to enable them to make intelligible phonetics?

Always loved it on "Haitian Divorce" by Steely Dan, along with all the other songs mentioned... certainly an addition that would be used SPARINGLY to great effect!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
...First I hear it used was by Stevie Wonder, and right now I don't recall the actual tune he used it on...
Would that be 1974's "Tell Me Something Good" by Stevie Wonder that was performed by Rufus and Chaka Khan?
Quote:
If I remember correctly, it was a device originally designed to help folks who had lost their vocal cords or had them removed, surgically, as a way to enable them to make intelligible phonetics?
I remember a Sonovox-type device consisting of a driver that was held against the larynx area but I never saw one with a tube. There was mention of one in one of the articles I read as research for this article.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars