The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-09-2013, 05:43 PM

Default Apple/Squier by FenderŪ USB Stratocaster Guitar

Squier by FenderŪ USB Stratocaster Guitar came today, and it's very cool! I'm not expert in electric guitars or Strats (this is my first electric after playing acoustic for 25 years), but this thing seems to play very nicely. It's not a toy guitar.

Got some more info from Fender. This is essentially the same build as the BULLETŪ STRATŪ WITH TREMOLO HSS, with the USB and Headphone jack added. However, I believe that Apple is requiring an extra step of quality control. Everything I've read indicates that it's an exceptional build for a Squire.

Interestingly enough, it seems that two of the three knobs have been re-purposed from the BULLET STRAT. Where the Bullet has two tone controls; bass and treble, this thing instead has two volume controls; guitar volume and headphone volume. (Apparently, a special 2-way USB cable is used which allows monitoring of the Mac/iOS audio output directly from the guitar, i.e. Amplitube, via the jack built into the guitar. You can also use the 1/8" stereo out of the iOS device, with the apps I've tried, which would allow you to use the effects out to a traditional amp or PA.

Of course, the guitar still has the standard 1/4" mono out.

All in all, I'm very pleased so far and super-excited that I can practice all hours of the night now, without disturbing Mrs. or my daughter, Abbey Road. (Yes, that is my daughters real name, middle name: "Road.") For $200, it seems hard to beat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars