The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-07-2013, 01:11 AM

Thumbs up Shout out to BYOC pedals!

I got a couple of pedal kits from Build Your Own Clone this week, and just finished building their clone of the old Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal. If anyone else here is into DIY projects, they are well executed kits and have good instructions too. I'll post my impression tomorrow after I try it out on my HR Deluxe. No affiliation of course, just sharing something fun I found online.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM

I just wish their kits were cheaper. Getting the PCB board really helps you cut down on the size. The MBB kit is a fantastic pedal as well. I know you're going to enjoy it.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Cheaper would be nice, but I look at it as they are usually a good bit cheaper than the classics they cloned. I priced a triangle spec Big Muff on eBay and wow. I still have an ESV fuzz kit and a tremolo kit waiting by my solder station for my attention. I enjoy that I built it and get to decorate it how I want. Makes a nice diversion now that outdoor activities are curtailed for winter. Well, except snow tubing with the kids - whee! I had not done very much soldering before these and I am getting better at it fast. Maybe I'll build my own tube amp one day....

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 PM

Man, busy day today! Pedal actually worked first time without having take it back apart. Les Paul + Fender HR Deluxe + British Blues pedal = pure bliss! That is a great sounding pedal for my setup.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-12-2013, 12:21 AM

i've thought about building one but i have a few amps to go thru first.

how long did it take you? what, if any, problems did you run into since this was your first pedal?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 AM

Only problem so far was I installed the British Pedal in its housing, then decided to paint it later. That wasn't the best decision I've made. The directions were very good. Wiring the footswitch was a real pain, though. Just trying to keep a little piece of wire in place for soldering and until the solder sets was infuriating at times. I finished the British Blues and a Vintage Fuzz, and my Tremolo is on hold until I finish painting the enclosure. One thing I like doing is sticking a strip of masking tape sticky side up on something then sticking the resistors to it and writing the values next to them so I can tell them apart. That saved a lot of time on the fuzz kit. I just ordered a Big Muff clone tonight for next week. As far as time, the OD took about four hours not counting painting time, and I got the PCB's done for the other two in about an hour and a half each. What amps are you working on? Friend of mine is getting ready to build a clone of the Marshall 1974x 18 watt amp to go with his Tweed Champ he built. I want to build one, but I want to be sure of which model before I invest the time and money in it.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars