The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-22-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post

LOL! That picture looks like me. Time to start working on getting that "beach body" back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I know I'm late to the party but I want to second going to Hawaii. Your wife said Taho is too far but Hawaii is worth the flight time. From Waikiki to Maui to the Big Island, Hawaii is everything they say it is. You could go to the St Regis on Kauai and be pampered to death and even have your own butler or you could rent a condo in Haleiwa and catch the tail end of big wave season in the cool little beach-side town that's the epi-center for surfing worldwide.

If you've never been there, suggest Hawaii and watch her eyes light up.

(while your there, you can check out Pono guitars, just down the street from my house)
Actually, Hawaii was my first suggestion. We honeymooned in Waikiki, Oahu and Wailea, Maui back in 1999. I would LOVE to go back.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
In June. How about an Alaska costal cruse
Interesting you say this, I've heard from at least half a dozen people, all different age brackets, that an Alaskan cruise is a WHOLE different animal, and a bucket list quality vacation.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-23-2018, 07:11 AM

Some associates have said the PNW and Alaska cruises can be good. There are some where they are not so passive and the side trips are good.

One of my problems with cruises is I live where you see animals trucked to market, and have done a lot of travel where you see the cruise people shuttled around. Some of the similarities are shocking if not scary.

I have done ferry travel but that still seems a lot different than most cruises.

The trips we do renting a home have cruise converts who’ve been so pleased that I remain a salesperson for heading to what’s likely a cruise ship stop and going on your own. That’s very easy to do these days. Our kids have really learned a lot and had super times with very simple elements such as grocery shopping where the locals do, renting vehicles locally vs the big chains, and stopping where a cruise or tour will never stop.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Interesting you say this, I've heard from at least half a dozen people, all different age brackets, that an Alaskan cruise is a WHOLE different animal, and a bucket list quality vacation.
Yes I have heard the same. Honestly neither my wife and I have much interest in the "cruise" format in general, and particularly not in the tropics. If for no other reason than I would rather spend my time fly fishing, snorkeling, diving, or exploring, and my wife would be hiking and walking for miles photography and exploring, things not really well suited to the sedentary cruise format.

That said an Alaska cruise on a smaller vessel with lots of side stops and wild land exploring etc. is something we might consider.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-23-2018, 11:46 AM

If you do an Alaska cruise and want to follow I t up with a 'land tour', don't book it through the cruiseline. It'll be cheaper and better to get to Anchorage (there are options form the port), rent a car and do the land part yourself.

Mayan ruins in Mexico:
Chichen Itza is the most known and popular one. You really need a knowledgeable guide to get the most of the place. It's a 3 hour drive from Cancun or Cozumel, so an all-day trip no matter what. We took the 'Open the Gates' tour from Cancun, picked up before 6am, at the ruins (private hotel entrance even before the locals who sell souvenirs had set up. Only 10 of us in this group. By 11am it was getting hot (in February) and crowded as all the big buses arrived (they stop at either a cenote or a village for shopping on the way).

Tulum is on the oceanside, and has fewer 'complete' ruins. You can hire a guide at the entrance. There are few trees, and it gets real hot in the full day's sun. There are tour buses all the time there, but more in the morning as people take half-day trips there from Cancun.

Coba is one of the least-visited sites, and has the only 'pyramid' that you are still allowed to climb. It's about an hour inland form Tulum, or an hour south from Chichen Itza.

Ek Balam is about a half hour from Chichen Itza, so can be combined if you rent a car, or do a private tour.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-23-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes I have heard the same. Honestly neither my wife and I have much interest in the "cruise" format in general, and particularly not in the tropics. If for no other reason than
I would rather spend my time fly fishing, snorkeling, diving, or exploring, and my wife would be hiking and walking for miles photography and exploring, things not really well suited to the sedentary cruise format.
Iceland!!!

Last edited by frankmcr; 03-23-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:39 PM

I can highly recommend Belize. 3-4 days on San Pedro, another 3 or 4 out in the western part of the Country. It's not a large country. PA is probably larger all by itself.

We stayed at duPlooy Jungle Lodge, did days trips every day. One day was at Tikal in Guatamala, another at the ATM, which was one of the most awesome things ever. It's a full day, you have to use a licensed guide. And you kick it off by swimming across a river, then hiking nearly an hour, then dive into a pool which is the entrance to a cave. Then you spend hours in there, entering several sacred Mayan caverns, lot of swimming and wading. And there was plenty of horseback riding on the other days we were there.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:05 PM

Just get on the boat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic